Office of the Harbourmaster

balth

First Post
"You make a good point Larinza, but we will need more than just warm clothes. If this island is truly locked in a state of perpetual winter, we may well need survival gear like climbing gear, warm tents, a halfing cook, sled dogs, sleds, Yeti repellant, skis, snow shoes, aerial reconnaissance images, GPS (Ground Pinpointing Spells), All weather fire starters (Actually thats me) anything I missed?"

Balth fills out the form.

Name: Baltharial Landdowin Brinjairrand. (Balth for short)
Last employer: Church of Lauto in apprehension of a Mr. Hoofchew.
Prior employment: Town of Winterhaven, Salvana Wrafton's Inn. Hired for a large festival to entertain the patrons, myself and my partner Torm.
Beneficiaries: All deceased.

Hmm, a halfling cook? In my experiences with halflings, they eat more than anyone I've ever seen. I'm still not sure I understand the concept of 'twelfthsies.'
I'd be afraid our rations would be gone in little over a week! he says with a grin.

He nods towards Larinza with a polite smile.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Shorrin fills out his application and hands it back to his future employer. His resume was terrible compared to the rest of them, and he knew it. He was fresh from his father's land, with no real life or death combat experiences. He shrugged and mumbled to himself "Ya gotta start somewhere Shorrin."

JoeNotCharles

First Post
The clerk scans the forms and grunts, "All in order. A lot of you have worked for the Temple, but there are some new faces too. That's good. All to regulation." He scratches a few words on a form of his own, stamps it with a THUNK, and hands it to Captain Tirion. "Team's approved. Go ahead."

"Right!" says Tirion, and claps his hands together. "Let's finish off th' plannin', and get movin'! Lessee... climbing gear we can get ya. Sleds too, if you've got enough to carry, but we're fresh out o' dogs - ye'll have to pull 'em yerself. Tents - wi' any luck, ye won't be there overnight, but I'll see what I can do. Th'island's only a few miles wide, there can't be THAT much to explore.

Uh... ye said a halfling cook? Sorry, no servants, th' budget fer hirelings has been spent an' you're it, but ye can pack in provisions from the Kraken's galley. Th' rest of that sounds like wizardly mumblings ta me, so I'll have ta let Alanax answer fer it."

Alanax is staring at Janus with his jaw open. After a moment he closes his mouth and shakes his head. "We've tried to send fliers over, but they couldn't see anything through the storms and clouds, and they had to give up on account of the wind. I'm... afraid I didn't follow most of the rest of what you said. Snow... shoes? Shoes made of snow? Or... oh, you must mean for WALKING on snow! That would be quite an invention. Does your master have such things? That would be very helpful, but I'm afraid there's no time to contact him - the ice is spreading too quickly. Do you know the enchantments to make these shoes, by any chance?"

changer

First Post
"Nothing so fancy as an enchantment, Master Alanax. Just something the locals where I come from use when the snow is new. Simply, a snow shoe is a wide board stuck to the bottom of a shoe. It spreads your weight wider so you don't sink as far.
Makes walking much easier. As for the rest, no mater, I am used to traveling in a certain style, benefits of a well to do master. The items you mentioned Captain will suffice."

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post

[sblock="Mechanics"]
Murphy, roll Persuasion Diplomacy to find out what your gossiping nets you.
[/sblock]

"Well, if we're all done talking 'bout fancy magickal devices and you have what you need maybe we can stop this ice menace from destroying this fair city's trade routes." Murphy says, continuing to stand around casually.

[sblock=OOC]
Diplomacy (1d20+4=11) Not too diplomatic.
Streetwise (relating to "knowing what's going on, who the movers and shakers are")(PHB188):
Streetwise (1d20+9=27)
[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
"Nothing so fancy as an enchantment, Master Alanax. Just something the locals where I come from use when the snow is new. Simply, a snow shoe is a wide board stuck to the bottom of a shoe. It spreads your weight wider so you don't sink as far.
Makes walking much easier. As for the rest, no mater, I am used to traveling in a certain style, benefits of a well to do master. The items you mentioned Captain will suffice."

Captain Torion grunts and writes "BOARDS ON SHOES" on the equipment list.

Murphy said:
[sblock=OOC]
Diplomacy (1d20+4=11) Not too diplomatic.
Streetwise (relating to "knowing what's going on, who the movers and shakers are")(PHB188):
Streetwise (1d20+9=27)
[/sblock]

Your chatting gets derailed into a discussion of recent entertainment in the city, including a resurgence of bear bating in some quarters and the recent storytelling competition at the Hanged Man - one of these is more dramatic than the other and quickly comes to dominate the conversation - so nobody seems to have heard anything of use to the current mission.

You've heard of both Torion and Alanax - they're exactly who they say they are, one of the senior captains of the Merchants' Guild, and the mage responsible for all magic relating to the port of Daunton. (Mostly calming the weather when necessary.) The clerk you haven't heard of by name, but he sounds just like the type of officials people swear about - in great detail - when they have to deal with the harbourmaster.

"All right," says Captain Torion. "I'll take this list to the quartermaster an' see about gettin' it loaded. The rest of ye', the Kraken's Grasp is tied up right outside - be on her in two hours an' a half, wi' yer personal gear, or we're leavin' ye behind and keepin' yer pay!" He brushes out of the room.

Alanax says, "All right, our business here is done. Janus, could I speak to you for a moment before you leave? On a matter of craft."

balth

First Post
be on her in two hours an' a half, wi' yer personal gear, or we're leavin' ye behind and keepin' yer pay!" He brushes out of the room.

Balth sheepishly grins at the Captain and as he brushes out of the room, he quickly follows behind.

Captain...Torion, was it? To expedite matters, do you have someone on board good with needle and thread? I'd imagine if you have nets and the like, the obvious answer would be yes. I need to run to town to fetch a new cloak, but I'd like it patchworked with this one. If you know of someone on board who'd be up to the task, I can be on board and ready to go in less than probably twenty minutes...

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
The captain frowns. "Sorry, lad. I'm sure the sailmaker's up to it, but there's precious little time to be takin' on other tasks. Best stow that cloak for the meantime an' deal with it when ye return."

renau1g

First Post
"Balth, I couldn't help but overhear you. I know of someone who might be able to help you out with your problem. Go over to Manticore Street and look for a shop named Edgar's Essentials. Tell ol'Edgar that Murphy Tang sent you, he's an old drinking associate of mine and will set you up square away" Murphy says as he puts one hand on the other adventurer's shoulder and flashes a roguish smile before heading out himself.

He'll head for the Kraken and look for the room that offers the easiest access to the deck in case of trouble, before laying down for a short nap.

balth

First Post
"Balth, I couldn't help but overhear you. I know of someone who might be able to help you out with your problem. Go over to Manticore Street and look for a shop named Edgar's Essentials. Tell ol'Edgar that Murphy Tang sent you, he's an old drinking associate of mine and will set you up square away" Murphy says as he puts one hand on the other adventurer's shoulder and flashes a roguish smile before heading out himself.

He'll head for the Kraken and look for the room that offers the easiest access to the deck in case of trouble, before laying down for a short nap.

Ah, thanks, friend, I will do just that. Balth says as he didn't even see the man there. Edgar's Essentials, he had said. He'll attempt to quickly make his way downtown and see about obtaining a second cloak, needle and thread himself to take with him. Going to have to pass the time traveling somehow; might keep his mind off the waves.

When he enters the shop, he does just as Murphy told him: Good day, shopkeep! Are you Edgar? Yes? An acquaintance of mine named Murphy told me to seek you out. He removes his cloak, showing it's charred and holey-ness to Edgar. I'm looking for another olive cloak to patchwork together with this one. I'd normally just leave it with you, my good man, but I'm set to sail within the hour for the arctic cold. Do you perhaps have needle, thread and scissor along with the cloak that I can purchase and I'll try my hand at it?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases