Adventure: Echoes of O

Don Incognito

First Post
"...you'll have to deal with me first."
Marley raises his hand, indicating for his hired hand to step back.

"That won't be necessary, Ash. We're all friends here. Or, at the very least, allies toward a common goal."

"Raiyek Meliam, paladin of Palladys. Thank you for your graciousness; I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear that we didn't expect it,"

When Ash shows his intent to guard Marley, Raiyek smiles. "Worry not, we have no intent to harm Marley if he has no intent to harm us." Then he takes Marley up on his offer, moves over to a chair and sits, leaning his shield on the left side of the chair.

"A paladin? In this part of town? I'd say that you were lost, but you obviously have a sense of purpose. I suppose 'misinformed' would be the better term."
[sblock=Raiyek]Marley's hard to read. He seems genuine, but his smile is that of a politician; there's not telling what could be hiding behind it. You do notice that despite his somewhat advanced age, he seems to be in excellent physical health.[/sblock]

The gith gives a close-mouthed smile to Marley and bows to him. “It is pleasant to meet someone here with style, taste and decorum. Suffice to say, we did not come here for a fight. We are simply investigating where our ah, friend, has gone. My name is Les, and my companions and I so dearly wish to speak to you about this matter.” She walks to a chair and sits down, surprisingly calm and reserved after just threatening to eat someone.

"A gith, eh? As you are a lady, I would kiss your hand in welcome, were I not sure that I would be disembowled shortly thereafter."

The party sits, and Marley begins his introduction.

"You're all new to Daunton's northern slums, so I'm assuming you don't know how badly you insulted Brynden when you entered his bar. A word of advice; when dealing with those who traverse in our world, never EVER ask a direct question. There's a saying; 'Blades make the best answers'. To question Brynden as you did is viewed somewhere between a direct threat and a particularly vicious insult. Questions are best implied or asked indirectly, never stated openly. Brynden had every right to respond with violence, and he had every right to come here asking me for help, and were situations different, you would all be dead. Things work differently here; we have our own set of rules, and you'd best learn them if you want to stay alive."

"You all look relatively new to this area, so I'm sure you have no idea what I am babbling about. The slums are ruled by the gangs, and I am a ganglord. The guard don't come to this part of town, so as long as we don't attract too much attention to ourselves, we can do whatever we want, up to and including prostitution, slavery, and murder. There's a rich history of gangs here, dating back generations. Rinch and his Ab-Dead, Hyann's Pack, Gouki and the Iron Fist, the Whispers, the Firewalkers...there are dozens of them, ranging from a loose group of like-minded thugs to organizations with deep pockets and significant social (and, dare I say, political?) connections."

"My gang is The Reckoners. We do bodyguard and protection work, mostly. About a third of the taverns in Daunton employ a bouncer with a green piece of cloth tied to his right forearm; that's our call sign. I like to think of us as one of the more...honorable gangs around, but I didn't get to the position I'm in by being gentle. I was an adventurer before I ruled this turf, and believe me when I say that I could easily cut you all down without so much as breaking a sweat."

Marley lets loose a chuckle and shakes his head slightly. "You'll have to excuse me. Threats are traded like currency here, and I'm accustomed to having my guests quivering in fear. Now, I know that you are here about Rebekkah. Girls go missing from the streets every day, and yet mercenaries are rarely knocking at my door."

Marley cocks an eyebrow and waits a response.

PierceSG

First Post
At hearing Marley's comment to stand down, as well as the adventurers' actions, Ashurn sheathed his dagger and stood aside. "Alright, but I'll be keeping my eyes on you all." Ashurn walked to the side of the room and leaned against the wall, eyes on the group and ears on the conversation.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]I'm assuming we want Raiyek to keep being the front-man? Also, just because Raiyek is talking doesn't mean that everything he says has to be my thoughts. In other words, if I forget something, or you have an angle you think would work, but don't think your character would clue in, let me know - Raiyek is definitely more smooth than just the one of me ;)

Heh, I like Marley. He might be a ganglord and probably a bit of a scum bag, but at least he's an honourable and intelligent ganglord and scum bag. Reminds me a bit of Jarlaxle ;)[/sblock]
"That won't be necessary, Ash. We're all friends here. Or, at the very least, allies toward a common goal."
Hmmm ... common goal ... is he looking for Rebekkah too? And a powerful ally in this area can't hurt our search at all.
"A paladin? In this part of town? I'd say that you were lost, but you obviously have a sense of purpose. I suppose 'misinformed' would be the better term."
Raiyek raises a finger. "Merely because official authority and religion have little sway in this area doesn't mean that the wisdom of the Grey Eyed Goddess cannot be of assistance." He pauses and lowers his finger. "But I didn't come here to preach," he concludes, listening again.

As Marley explains the customs of the area, realization dawns on Raiyek. If that's the way of things here, then that certainly explains Brynden's seemingly unprovoked attack, he thinks
Marley lets loose a chuckle and shakes his head slightly. "You'll have to excuse me. Threats are traded like currency here, and I'm accustomed to having my guests quivering in fear. Now, I know that you are here about Rebekkah. Girls go missing from the streets every day, and yet mercenaries are rarely knocking at my door."

Marley cocks an eyebrow and waits a response.
Raiyek raises his own eyebrow in response. "I hope there isn't a particular reason people would come knocking at your door about missing girls." He pauses for a moment to let the thought sink in, then waves his hand in a way that seems to brush it off. "In any case, we're merely here because this is where the trail has led. But surely you don't expect us to simply volunteer our motives - information is a commodity, here as well as everywhere else. I don't think we're quite ready to give up this particular nugget unless we get something substantial in return."

[sblock=Rolls]Diplomacy, haggling over information: 1d20+9=16. Urg, not that great.
Just for fun: Insight on Ash (1d20+8=18), to see if mention of Rebekkah might trigger some reaction in him. ;)[/sblock]

Don Incognito

First Post
"True enough," says Marley with a nod. He brings his sheathed weapon up to eye level, shows off an inch or two of the sword. The blade is unusually thin for a longsword, and appears to be made of dark blue glass; Marley's mouth is actually visible (though distorted) through it. As he speaks, he inspects the blade intently. "Although perhaps I haven't been clear. I don't think my aims are at odds with yours. Both of us want to see Rebekkah safe, after all, and I may be able to..." (Marley snaps the sword back into its sheath with a smirk) "supplement...whatever reward you are offered. But first, of course, I would have to know what your motives are."

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Raiyek nods, smiling. "Our motives are exactly as you said - to see Rebekkah safe. She had regular meetings with our client, until they recently stopped without warning. We were hired to find her and, if necessary, to return her to safety." He motions with his eyes towards Marley's weapon. "And, if I may say so, that is a very fine blade."
[sblock=OOC]May I just say that I'm really impressed with the pace of this game. We've gone through essentially two social encounters and our first fight in 2 weeks, where most PbP games it would take over a month to do the same! Let's keep it up! :)[/sblock]

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
Kruk sits through all of the conversation with a permanent scowl on his face. I can't handle this bantering back-and-forth stuff! he says to himself. A rogue huh, checking out the new guy. Hmmmff...the only way he's going to earn my respect is by proving himself in battle. Looking around the room he sees the pally and gith performing the magic with their words. He then turns to steal a quick glance at 7-Rabbitt. Hmmm...what's 7-Rabbitt doing over there? Does he have those charts out agian?

All this is too much for Kruk. He suddenly feels extremely exhausted, like the whole world is weighing on him. "ZZZzzzzz....zzzzz" He snaps out of his brief sleep, only to notice drool hanging from his lip, gathering on his beard. "Sorry everyone...it's been a long day" he states as people stare at him.

[sblock=OOC]
I too am happy with the pace and the frequent posting by everyone. Thankyou. It makes the adventure more enjoyable.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

PierceSG

First Post
Ashurn scan over the band of adventurers as Marley and Paladin have their conversation, "Hmm...interesting party they've got there. An Eladrin, from the Imperia, a Paladin no less. A Gith,scratch that. A beautiful gith", smiles Ashurn, "quite rare to come by. A dwarf, usual one at that, short, stout and usually grumpy unless he have an ale..." Ashurn's eye widened for a second when he saw another dwarf, "A colorful dwarf, very rare sight indeed. Doubt we can find another one in Daunton for sure." Ash ending that thought with a chuckle.

Dawn Raven

First Post
As the paladin has said, we are simply interested in Rebbekah's well-being and current whereabouts. Brynden had mentioned that you might have known her. ” Les leaves most of the talking to Raiyek and his smooth tongue, but can't help but ask a few questions herself, doing her best to be indirect about it.

[sblock=OOC]
Not much to add here, just posting to stay in line.
[/sblock]

Don Incognito

First Post
Raiyek nods, smiling. "Our motives are exactly as you said - to see Rebekkah safe. She had regular meetings with our client, until they recently stopped without warning. We were hired to find her and, if necessary, to return her to safety." He motions with his eyes towards Marley's weapon. "And, if I may say so, that is a very fine blade."

"That it is, my elven friend. I picked it up some time ago while traversing the isles."

Marley leans the sheathed weapon on the side of his chair.

"ZZZzzzzz....zzzzz" He snaps out of his brief sleep, only to notice drool hanging from his lip, gathering on his beard. "Sorry everyone...it's been a long day" he states as people stare at him.

"...I'm...I'm not quite sure what to make of that. Either it is an immensely clever ploy designed to either intimidate me, or he just fell asleep. Either way, I'd prefer to have him awake."

Marley grabs his sword and moves to his wall safe. He enters the combination, and the safe expands, suddenly covering the entire wall. It opens, revealing treasures, rubies, and various ornate arms and armor. He places the sword on a rack, and finds himself a suit of plate mail, which he casually tosses out onto the floor of the larger room, piece by piece. The armor is jet black, but as it hits the ground, patches glow violent red before fading back to darkness.

"Put it on, dwarf. Consider it a down payment."

Marley closes the vault, which shrinks back down to normal size. He then casually walks back to the chair, and has a seat.
[sblock=OOC]That's +1 Black Iron Plate, if you're interested.[/sblock]
"I met Rebekkah several months ago. She was...different...than other girls I had previously been involved with. Needless to say, I was smitten. Yet men of my stature have a reputation to uphold; we can't simply 'settle down'. In order to protect my reputation, I had to act as if nothing had changed. So, I saw other girls, and built up Rebekkah's reputation as one of many favored prostitutes. In reality, Rebekkah and I were...together. I considered briefly introducing her into the Reckoners, but gang life didn't suit her. We were in love, like idiot schoolchildren."

"And then, she was gone. Mind you, this is a dangerous lifestyle. Friends and colleagues vanish every day, and one is supposed to think nothing of it. Slavery, prostitution rings, ritual sacrifice, humanoid experimentation, fleeing from debtors, fleeing fearing revenge, fleeing just to get out, all these things are commonplace. And, given the world we frequent, asking questions is frowned upon. So I cannot simply put the word out that I want Rebekkah back. This would be seen as a sign of weakness, and retaliation would be both swift and efficient. So, I'm in a bind; in my zeal to protect myself from my friends' scorn, I failed to protect Rebekkah. And now I cannot look for her."

"Then, I hear that a group of mercenaries are asking questions. 'What a wonderful opportunity!', I say to myself. 'Here is a way for me to look for Rebekkah while keeping my hands clean. After all, I'm not the one who hired them, am I?' And here you are."

"I know where Rebekkah slept. I haven't been able to send my men to investigate, but there is no reason why I can't send YOU. I'd be willing to pay, of course, and you plainly saw that I have several, *ahem*, items of interest. Of course, all of this does not come without strings."

"Ash has been a good friend to me, and I have hired him several times for freelance work. It is always a smart idea to have trusted friends outside of your organization. Plausible deniability and all that. He will accompany you as you search for Rebekkah."

Marley looks out the window, gauging the time from the sun's position in the sky.

"She slept beneath the Northharrow bridge. It is not too far from here, but the sun is setting. Traveling the streets at night is never a particularly smart idea. I strongly suggest that you go investigate the bridge, then go bring any information you find there to your employer. He is your primary benefactor, after all. Or she, I suppose. You can come see me again in the morning to report your findings. What say you, do we have a deal?"

Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Just to make sure I've got it straight - it's getting late, but we should have enough time to check out the bridge and then get out of the slums before dark?[/sblock]

Remove ads