Magic Industrial Revolution (Need Suggestions)

DJ_draken07

First Post
Hey Everyone I need some help/suggestions with my next Project later on in the future (In a few months) but i want to get prepaired for it.

I wanted to make a 3.5 DnD game with The Magic Industrial Revolution Theme to it.

I don't know if you know what it means , Basically Advance Technology Powered By Magic. (Such as Vehicles , Machines , and Such)

I just need to know how I can perform this Storyline without Making the PCs Overpowered.

Sample of Equipment I was thinking about making was .... Vehicles (Cars and Other traveling vehicles) Weapons (Maybe guns and other types of weapons) Accessories (Like Flashlights and such) but all Run on Mana Technology.

Also I was thinking of doing something called Magic Waste (kind of like Nuclear Waste , But from Mana Technology)

Any Suggestions or Help?

DJ_draken07

First Post
OH! And I Forgot One Major Thing Is Classes.

Im Starting this campaign with ECL 1 characters.

Heres All The Classes Below.

Barbarian - Bard - Cleric - Fighter - Monk - Paladin - Ranger - Rogue - Sorcerer - Wizard - Psion - Psychic Warrior - Soulknife - Wilder - Hexblade - Samurai - Swashbuckler - Ninja - Scout - Spellthief - Warlock - Warmage - Wu Jen - Favored Soul - Shugenja - Spirit Shaman

Loonook

First Post
Most of the items you're talking about already exist (Everburning torches, or the old everlasting light/small object trick from earlier editions)... cars? Well, vehicles are easy. Find a set of vehicle rules, go from there, give vehicles HP, maneuvering stats, and a cost.

Really you're talking a flavor alteration more than a hard-set rules change. You could easily change weapons, for example. Just take your average weapon, make it deal fire, cold, acid, etc. damage, with small benefits. Add some small effects to other versions, boosted damage, and you have mana-powered lasers, 'lightsabers', and all sorts of other goodies. Energy Resistance will play a larger role, but ehh... it's small alterations that usually blow the system wide open :).

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Bishop Odo

Explorer
I’m not sure about what you want. Once you add magic and healing to the classic medieval setting you really blow all historical models to heck. You might want to read:

Medieval Technology and Social Change, by Lynn White Jr.
Cathedral, Forge and Waterwheel, by Frances and Joseph Gies

These are available be at Amazon, as for game books and settings:

A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe is great place to start.

Night

First Post
If you want to make something memorable, you really have to look at things from the fantasy perspective and just chuck history out the window entirely; a high-magic setting isn't going to have things like the mana-driven printing press as its first priority; they can already replicate these kinds of effects.

When you talk about a mystically driven industrial revolution, what you're really looking at is the proliferation and widespread use of magical cantrips; basically, the availability of magic for the common man.

I'd look at wondrous items and think about making dirt-cheap, less-effective versions of them, for a start -- dropping something like an everburning touch to under a gold piece, for example. If you really focus on where I feel like the world's concern would be, given that adventurer's are extraordinary, I think you'll prevent the party from getting too overpowered from the very start; the priority gets placed on items that provide utility, not power.

And you can make a lot of interesting gimmicks about a party that has a lot of magical utility at their fingertips for a reasonable price, could be very memorable.

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
If your looking for a good place to start with modern technology you could look at Spycraft, which is a OGL espionage style game but it does include rules for car chases and James Bond type stuff too.

NewJeffCT

First Post
If your looking for a good place to start with modern technology you could look at Spycraft, which is a OGL espionage style game but it does include rules for car chases and James Bond type stuff too.

How about some sort of magical "phone booth" with the ability to dial an operator in nearby towns/cities, and then the operator connects you to your desired party (sort of a permanent version of the psionic "Correspond" if this is 3.5E days, or the Sending cleric spell)

Advanced sewer systems populated by otyughs that clean up the refuse. Or at least have them at the end of the drainage system, so the surrounding lands are not contaminated by refuse.

Light posts with continual light on them.

Remove ads