A Rose In The Wind: A Saga of the Halmae -- Updated June 19, 2014

Ilex

First Post
7x04

Savina cradled Tavi's head in her lap and looked down at his closed eyes. She stroked his cheek, allowing what healing energy she had left to spill from her fingertips into him. His skin beneath her hand was rough, streaked with sweat and blood, and she thought he had never looked more handsome as he rested there in her lap …

His eyes opened, hazy at first, and then they locked onto hers. She smiled.

"You won," she told him.

He smiled back, a little bemused. "I – I don't remember that part."

"You were wonderful," she said.

They looked at each other. Smiling.

Then Tavi shifted his gaze and sat up. "Where's Rose?" he asked.

"I'm here," said Rose, who had entered the room with the rest of the dwarves. Tavi jumped up and hurried over to her. Savina stood as well, dusting off the skirts of her robes. She tried to admire Tavi's dutiful attention to his sister. But she missed him – the feeling of his cheek beneath her hand – even though he was just across the room.

Nearby, the young Sovereign woman was staring down at Lurx's body with a dispassionate expression, as if memorizing the sight of his corpse.

"It's – it's very nice to meet you," ventured Savina.

"We have not met," the woman corrected her, not unkindly. "I am Nyoko, an Adept of our Lord Kettenek."

I've read about Adepts, recalled Savina. Was it in True Travels and Adventures of Captain Ambitioso di Cambio? After he falls in love with the Sovereign noblewoman, Adepts sing for them at dinner … I think they're like bards …

She smiled politely at the Sovereign woman. "I'm Savina di Infusino, one of the Daughters of the Givers of Life."

"I am honored to meet you, Savina-san." Nyoko bowed.

Tavi led Rose over. "Signor Octavian di Raprezzi, at your service," he said, at his most formal. Nyoko introduced herself and bowed. The others introduced themselves in turn, each receiving a bow from Nyoko.

"What is your preferred manner of address?" asked Twiggy, with her typical blend of decorum and inquisitiveness.

Nyoko looked startled at first, as if forgetting that such a thing wasn't self-evident to them. "Honored Adept would be appropriate," she said. It was impossible to mistake the lofty tone that came into her voice – this woman, though she was only a few years older than Savina, was accustomed to receiving respect. Savina herself, raised from birth amid the careful hierarchies of Pol Henna, tentatively slotted Nyoko into the party's rank beneath herself and the other nobles, but above Kormick and Mena: like a commoner who'd reached high authority in one of the Temples.

". . . but since we've already shed blood together," Nyoko continued, her tone immediately relaxing, "that seems a bit formal."

There was a stir at the back of the room. A little dwarven boy – Thurran – was shepherding four emaciated dwarves out of the tunnel the derro had forced them to dig. Thurran urged the men along, chattering encouragements. Arden had been loitering near the tunnel entrance and smiled encouragingly at them, too, but when they ducked their heads and wouldn't meet her gaze, her smile faded. She shook her head, turned, and walked away.

"Thurran!" Sertani cried out, glimpsing her son. She took two steps as if she was going to run to the boy, but then checked herself. Instead, she stood, waiting, as Thurran bounced over to her: "Mother! Did you see that? Did you see what I did? I helped save everybody!"

Sertani knelt down to his level. "Come here, son," she said. As Thurran stepped close, she put one hand on his shoulder and, with the other, handed him a small stone pendant: a family emblem that she must have taken from her husband's body. Thurran fell silent. He looked at her and she nodded.

"You are Lord Rockminder now," she whispered. Thurran's lip trembled, but he made no sound.

After a moment, Mena spoke. "You have already done great credit to your father's memory, Thurran. You joined in a battle that you could have avoided, and that is an honorable thing."

Thurran put the pendant around his neck and drew himself up straight. "Thank you, ma'am," he said to Mena. He was being brave, but he clearly didn't know what to do next. Savina wanted to gather the boy in her arms and hug him, but she knew that the dwarves – Thurran included – would find that insulting: Thurran was the head of his household, and heads of households did not get compassionate hugs from near-strangers.

"We should find Jalissi and Mirtal and leave this place," said Sertani.

"Yes," said Thurran. "Let's do that."

"Wise boy," said Mena.

"But first," said Kormick, "let me suggest that we take a little time for looting and pillaging. I've already found two bags of gold pieces and a potion of some kind." He tossed two bags at Savina. Startled, she caught one; the other fell at her feet with a jangle of coins. He really is a very strange Justicar, she thought, as Kormick tossed a stoppered bottle to Twiggy.

After a quick search of the room, they found themselves in possession of eight hundred gold pieces, a power jewel, and the potion, which Twiggy identified as a life-giving elixir.

"And now," said Mena, "Let us adopt the wisdom of Thurran and leave this place."

"I'll make sure things are still quiet out in the hall," volunteered Kormick. He readied a warhammer and walked out of the room.

As they waited for him to return, Twiggy turned to Nyoko. "If I may ask, how did you end up here?"

###

Kormick walked down the hall toward the closed door he'd seen earlier, the one with the faint sound of water coming from behind it. He was in no hurry, and this time, he noticed that the stonework of the tunnel grew abruptly smoother near the closed door: evidence that true craftspeople, not the derro or their slaves, had carved this tunnel. Interesting. As he drew close to the shut door, Kormick heard the water again, but now there was something else. A scuffling and stomping. A faint rattle of chains. Grunts.

Kormick put his hand on the door handle and turned it very, very gently. He put one eye to the narrow opening he'd made.

He saw a square room filled with finely carved stone benches facing a wall bearing an ornate symbol. Above the symbol, a fountain of water burbled out of the wall. The symbol itself was hard to make out, exactly, because it was obscured by the bruised, terrified dwarven woman who was chained to it. It was also obscured by the crowd of undead humans shuffling toward her and reaching for her.

Ah, yes, Kormick thought. Zombies. Just what this day of endless delights was missing.

As he shifted position to count the creatures, the warhammer on his left side thumped against the doorframe. Almost as one, the zombies' dull-eyed heads cranked around to focus on him.

Silly me. Usually it's the slave's job to give away our position.

Kormick hollered back down the hall: "Hey, kids! Zombies!"

Then he shoved the door wide open and strode in. Jumping onto one of the chapel's pews, he raised his warhammers, his white Justicar's robes furling back as magical energy crackled between the weapons' heads. "Nothing personal," he told them, "but you're out past curfew."

He released the energy, which shot out and struck two of them. As they staggered, two more zombies shambled forward, attempting to flank Kormick, but he swung the hammers in dizzying arcs and struck both of them also. His new magical bracers pumped strength into his arms and he pounded the closest creature once more for good measure.

There was an instant's pause as the undead reeled. Then they began to surround him.

He craned his neck to shout down the hall again: "Um, zombies!"

Ilex

First Post
8x01

The Sovereign woman's tale of the derro's attack upon her caravan was cut short by Kormick's distant shout: "Hey, kids! Zombies!"

Zap, thump.

Thunk, clang, thwack.

"Zombies!"

Savina was startled to see Arden – who had spent Nyoko's recitation sitting hunched on a pile of scree and tossing gravel shards sulkily against the wall – leap up and run out of the room, clutching her sling and not looking back. Savina had been too distracted by Tavi's peril to pay much attention when Arden first freed the prisoners on her own initiative and then stabbed a derro in the back, breaking the honor code in the Lurx fight, but now in a flash she put those actions together with the scowl on her slave's face and felt a twinge of trepidation: I certainly hope Arden isn't forgetting her place.

Nyoko raced out of the room on Arden's heels and Twiggy was right behind her, running faster than Savina had ever seen her move.

Savina was following until a drama among the dwarves caught her eye: Thurran had grabbed a short sword from a derro corpse. With that in one hand and a rock-pick in the other, the boy was staring down Sertani. "We have to do something!" he declared. Sertani opened her mouth to object – but thought better of it. She nodded once. With that, Thurran raced out of the room, too.

Savina shared a glance of concern with Tavi, Mena, and Rose. They all ran after Thurran.

###

They have better things to do than whack zombies? Kormick couldn't hold off the creatures by himself—they were surrounding him, closing in—and then Arden darted into the room. With one fierce, dancer-like gesture, she let fly a rock from her sling. The zombie that was about to strike Kormick staggered backward: Arden's rock had shot right through its skull. The rock had left a hole. Torchlight was visible through the hole. But the zombie, being a zombie, didn't die: it wrenched itself into motion, its arms now clawing toward the slave. Another followed.

As Arden drew her sword, Nyoko shot into the room and dodged past the creatures menacing Arden and Kormick toward a taller zombie standing in the back.

"Welcome to the zombie party!" Kormick called as she wove her way past him, and she managed a perfectly decorous bow of her head: "Thank you, Honored Justicar." She flung a rock at the tall zombie, striking it in the chest. It wobbled briefly but then regained its balance and glared at the three of them.

"Leave our halls!" it growled.

It must have been disappointed to discover that instead of leaving, another of their allies had already arrived: Twiggy had burst through the doorway at a dead sprint, skidded to a stop, and unleashed a wave of force from an orb in her hand. The magical force slammed into one of the zombies that Kormick had struck initially, and the creature fell to the ground, dead. For real this time.

Vastly relieved that Twiggy had proven they could be killed, Kormick prepared to swing his hammers at another of the creatures – but was stopped short by the highest-pitched war cry he'd ever heard.

Seven-year-old Thurran charged into the room, yelling at the top of his lungs, and stabbed a zombie in the leg with a rock-pick.

I give up, Kormick decided. That's it. We've had the silver-spoon-fed teenagers charging into battle and the slave who gives me the skunk-eye at dinner and then saves my life the next day – but that's it. You win, kid. Nothing will surprise me ever, ever again.

###

Mena and Tavi rushed into the room in front of Savina, landing blows right and left.

For her part, Savina paused near Twiggy in the doorway, a prayer to Alirria already on her lips. She raised her hands and brought the holy light down on the first creature she saw: a zombie grappling with Arden, growling threats in the slave's ear as it tried to throttle her.

But Savina's attack went amiss as she noticed something. The zombie was wearing tattered green robes.

Alirrian robes.

There was disgust on Arden's face as she twisted herself out of the creature's grip, wheeled around behind it, and stabbed it in the back. But these aren't evil beings, Savina was realizing. These are … these were … priestesses. Sisters. And that means …

For the first time, Savina's gaze went beyond the creatures to take in the whole room: the ordered pews … the chained-up dwarven woman … that is, the chained-up dwarven woman who was bound to the wall just below the huge holy symbol of Alirria…

Oh Goddess…

"Stop!" Savina cried out. "Please stop fighting!"

No one listened.

They were too busy: The zombie leader raised its hands and blasted forth a dark bolt of energy that struck Nyoko in the chest. She bit off a scream of pain, ducking for cover behind a pew. The zombie Arden was battling struck out toward the slave again but Arden danced away. Mena stabbed a creature that reeled toward Kormick, its arms flailing. Kormick met it square on, grabbed it by the shoulders, and head-butted it – twice. The zombie slumped over a pew. Kormick jumped onto the bench beside it, planted his foot on its shoulder, and hit it again with his warhammer. He didn't notice the second creature slink up behind him, but he growled in outrage when it slammed a club into his kidneys. "You must not remain!" the zombie snarled, pounding the Justicar again. Kormick grasped the pew and held on as he staggered under the onslaught. Tavi raced over to help, slicing at the zombie tormenting Kormick, his blade setting fires in the wounds it made.

"Kin-mother!" cried Thurran's shrill voice. The boy ran to the chained dwarven woman. She must be Jalissi, the last woman we're missing, Savina realized. Even from this distance, Savina could tell that the woman was traumatized: she cowered in the chains, eyes wide, seemingly unaware of the water that trickled over her from the traditional fountain above the Alirrian symbol. Thurran struck his pick against her chains. Jalissi winced at the sparks that flew from the metal.

Nyoko vaulted out from behind a pew, leaping it with acrobatic grace and flinging another rock at the big zombie. Savina could see the air around him thicken with some kind of dark energy, and Nyoko's rock flew wide. If anger itself were visible, thought Savina, it would look like that energy.

Of course the zombie was angry. This had to be an Alirrian temple – an old one. And the Honored Mother in Lord's Edge had told Savina how Alirrians used to be treated in the Sovereignty: they'd been massacred in the name of Kettenek. Once again, Savina called out, "Stop! Don't you see they're Alirrians? They were probably killed by the Inquisition! Stop!"

But the zombies weren't stopping, so neither could her companions. Kormick was in dire trouble, streaked with blood. Mena yelled at him, "On your right! Hit him!" Kormick managed a swing and Savina heard the crack of brittle undead bones.

Twiggy cast: two other zombies clapped hands to their heads as they fought off whatever vision she had sent into their minds.

Tavi hurled his blade into the air and it spun around the room, striking a zombie near Arden. The zombie burst into flames and fell to the ground, its hands clawing wildly at the slave's feet. Arden jumped back quickly to keep her hard-won boots out of reach of the grasping fingers. Then she stood, breathing hard, contemplating the creature's death throes.

"YOU WILL LEAVE OUR HALLS!" thundered the big zombie suddenly. It stretched forth its hands once more and fired bolts of black energy around the room, mercifully missing everyone.

In response, Kormick dragged himself to his feet. He raised his holy symbol high in his bloody hand and drew breath to shout –

"Oh no, not now – " whispered Savina –

"IN KETTENEK'S NAME, I COMMAND YOU TO – !"

The leader of the undead Alirrians threw back its head and howled as every other zombie in the room turned away from its opponent and threw itself in holy rage at the Justicar. As he vanished in the horde, Savina, cold with fear, remembered Kormick's voice, his words to her earlier: That was very brave … and very foolish.

ajanders

Explorer
So.
Zombies in the basement.
Again.

With a girl who's going to claim they're her friends.
Some tropes are too good to die.

Or good enough that if they do, they get reanimated.

Ilex

First Post
While we take a brief hiatus for Thanksgiving, and while Kormick contends with -- and Savina pities -- the zombies in the basement -- I offer you a flashback to the first Halmae campaign via spyscribe's illustrious story hour, Welcome to the Halmae.

In this flashback, Lira -- who, years later, will be known as Signora Giovanna, mother of Tavi and Rose -- is traveling with her companions in the Sovereignty of Kettenek. They're technically searching for an archmage, but they're about to get sidetracked by some Inquisitors and a few scattered references to monks and a mystical spring. (That sounds... kinda familiar. Except that our party is technically searching for a mystical spring and has been sidetracked by some derro and the aforementioned zombies. Bottom line, the two tales are not entirely unrelated.)

You may read it here on enworld...

...or here in StevenAC's PDF compilation.

Enjoy, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Rughat

Explorer
While we take a brief hiatus for Thanksgiving, and while Kormick contends with -- and Savina pities -- the zombies in the basement -- I offer you a flashback to the first Halmae campaign via spyscribe's illustrious story hour, Welcome to the Halmae.

I plan to have my work submit an invoice for lost time. Stupid story hours that pull you back in even though you've already read them.

Ilex

First Post
8x02

Twiggy winced in sympathetic pain as the zombies mobbed Kormick. And continued to mob Kormick. Nothing seemed to distract them, even when Mena reached into the throng, grabbed one of the creatures, and hurled it to the ground so that Tavi could pierce its gut with his sword, killing it. The zombies ignored their fallen comrade and continued to pummel the Justicar. Kormick was doing remarkably well at continuing to stay upright in the face of the zombie onslaught, but that’s all he could do—stay standing.

He was trying to help, thought Twiggy, and this is what he got.

Twiggy cast illusory ambush, making one of the zombies see images of another Kormick, attacking from the other side. The creature flailed wildly at the air before grabbing its head in pain. Twiggy had never seen a zombie before, but she had read about them, and she understood why Kormick did what he did: they were abominations before Kettenek, God of the Dead, and they were not the sorts of creatures that one reasoned with.

Still, he had picked an odd time to remember the doctrines of his faith. Arden was staring at Kormick, astonished, and Twiggy knew why: Calling attention to Kettenek in a roomful of undead Alirrians who'd most likely been murdered by Kettenites? Not to put too fine a point on it.

She cast again, this time sending a zombie an image of a flood that would suffocate it. I’m not sure that’s any better, she thought, but at least it’s an Alirrian image. To her relief, the zombie dropped and didn't move, giving Savina a crucial opening to get close enough to Kormick for a quick healing prayer.

Then Savina stepped back, took a deep breath, and held up her holy symbol. She spoke loudly but did not shout: "Alirria is the goddess of peace and love. Not death."

And the zombies – paused.

Maybe they can be reasoned with, after all, thought Twiggy.

In the sudden silence, Kormick's breathing was harsh and painful. But—finally—the zombies weren’t looking at him. They were looking at Savina. Responding to something that she saw in their eyes, Savina spoke again. "Yes, I truly worship the Mother. Please stop so we can talk about this."

The peace held for one more fragile instant … then a zombie growled and shoved Kormick hard, sending the Justicar careening into another zombie, who punched him.

Tavi called out, "We come seeking Alliria's aid and succor in a quest against Sedellus!"

The zombie leader launched a bolt of glowing black energy at Kormick, who nearly fell over. The leader roared, "We will never surrender the spring!"

Twiggy's ears perked up. The spring? She darted a glance at the trickle of water spilling over the Alirrian holy symbol—and Jalissi—on the wall. I don't think that could be it—most Alirrian Temples have fountains like that. But this must be the monastery that Dona Giovanna went to! They must know where the Spring is!

Kormick, perhaps having a similar thought, cast a solemn look at Savina and muttered, "You'd better be right." Then, very deliberately, he knelt down. He put both his hammers down on the ground before him. He held up his hands.

And again – the zombies paused.

"Don't stop!" Thurran's high voice pierced the chapel. "Fight them! Fight them, humans! Look what they did to my kin-mother!" He had gotten almost all of the chains holding Jalissi unlocked – only one of her wrists still held her to the wall. But Thurran was now brandishing his pick and sword dangerously, preparing to charge a zombie.

"Thurran, we must be brave enough to trust," declared Mena, staring down at the boy as her armor muttered echoes of her words.

Right – because that's Mena's specialty. Trust. Twiggy squelched a grim chuckle. But who better than the embodiment of paranoia to convince Thurran? Thurran’s eyes darted from Mena to Kormick as both warriors stared him down. Though he didn't exactly look reassured, the boy turned back to Jalissi and his pick rang out again on the cuff around her wrist.

Savina had kept her eyes on the zombies the entire time. Now she spoke once more. "All of us honor Alirria," she said. "Perhaps we can help each other."

"If you allow us to pass, we can help rebuild your temple!" suggested Twiggy. Mena gave her a look, and she realized that she might be sounding a wee bit ambitious. Still… wouldn't a map to the spring be worth it?

Twiggy’s blood ran cold as the zombie leader stared at her. She could feel Acorn trembling in her pocket and could hear his frightened voice in her head: Why did you have to draw attention to us?

Just trying to help, Acorn, Twiggy thought.

Then the zombie turned to look at Kormick, and from him to Nyoko. She called him “Honored Justicar,” didn’t she, Twiggy thought, remembering the start of the battle. "If you wish to negotiate an agreement of peace," offered Nyoko, "I will witness it—“

"They will have no part in the temple!" thundered the zombie leader. Black energy shot from his hand as he pointed at Nyoko; she dodged the worst of it but was seared along her arm. "Just trying to help," she muttered.

Aren't we all, agreed Twiggy grimly, readying another illusory ambush.

Four zombies remained: three who had resumed clawing at Kormick, and the leader, who now fired again at Nyoko. Twiggy sent him a gift of nightmares, staggering him and giving Nyoko time to retreat behind a pew. Kormick still knelt, one hand on the floor, absorbing the blows – whether by force of will or because he was too exhausted to fight back, Twiggy wasn't sure. Next to him, Tavi's flaming blade intercepted a zombie just as it struck out at the Justicar once more. The creature fell to a burning death, and Tavi told it, "I hope that serves to give you rest."

With a cry of triumph, Thurran finally freed Jalissi, who dropped to the ground. "Help me!" Thurran called, and Mena and Nyoko, who were closest, rushed to his assistance. Two zombies turned and barreled after them.

"Mena! Watch out!" Twiggy called, unleashing another illusory ambush. It missed. Mena wheeled and joined battle with both zombies at once as Nyoko knelt to assist Thurran with his shocked, shivering kin-mother.

Twiggy turned to Arden, who had joined her in the shadow of the doorframe. "Mena needs help," Twiggy pointed out.

Arden shook her head, a bruise darkening her cheek where a zombie had struck her. "The Blessed Daughter isn't fighting, Lady Chelesta," she answered. "I don't think I should, either."

It was true: Savina was walking boldly up to the big zombie, urging it to hear reason. It ignored her, stretching out its hand to send a blast of energy towards Kormick – and Savina still didn't raise a hand against it. She just stepped even closer and kept talking about Alirria.

With a sweep of her sword, Mena cleaved open the head of one of the remaining zombies and it fell with a crash to the floor. Her sword stuck in the creature's skull, and the other zombie closed in quickly. "Hurry, fight it! Fight it!" hollered Thurran.

And suddenly there was Kormick, leaping over a pew. "If you want something done right – " he hit the zombie with the first warhammer – "do it yourself." The second warhammer mashed its head to a pulp. It collapsed inches from Nyoko, Thurran, and Jalissi. Kormick slumped down, spent. Thurran’s eyes widened in awe as he stared at the Justicar and the dead zombie on the floor.

The last surviving creature – the leader – gave a wail of rage and anguish. It lumbered into a run and plowed toward Kormick, Nyoko, Mena, Thurran, and Jalissi. Its anger pulsed through the room like the breath of some hot, huge beast, making Twiggy's head spin. It raised its hands. Black energy crackled along its fingers.

Kormick was right in its path.

"I'll help you, human!" Thurran yelled, and hurled his pick. The small tool flew end-over-end and stuck, quivering, in the zombie leader's heart. The zombie's arms went limp, the sparks dying out on its fingertips, as it stared in astonishment at the boy standing defiant beneath the huge Alirrian symbol.

With an earth-shaking thud, the last zombie fell to its knees.

"Alirria—" it murmured. Then, finally, it collapsed onto its side, unmoving.

Savina made a holy gesture over it. "Be at peace," she whispered, tears in her eyes. “All of you,” she gestured over the whole room, “be at peace.”

Thurran broke the silence. "Whoopee!” he yelled, throwing his arms around Kormick’s leg. “That was amazing!"

Ilex

First Post
Also, has Kormick been surprised again? Despite his best intentions?

Thurran was awesome, and the fact that he threw his pick to kill the zombie leader was even more awesome.

And the thing about Kormick and surprise is: that guy gives as good as he gets. Possibly better. He surprised us all but good when he walked into the ball halfway through the first session wearing Justicar robes: Wait? That guy from the crime capital of the Halmae is a lawman? And the whole "In Kettenek's name" thing in this session was pretty jaw-dropping, too.

Along these lines, I've been meaning to point out that "the single most exciting roll of a natural 20 that has yet occurred in the game," mentioned here by Fajitas, has now appeared in the story hour, when Kormick speaks Kartan's funeral prayers in session 6.

Apparently, Kormick surprises us when he... you know... does his job. As a Justicar. Oh we of little faith.

Last edited:

Remove ads