Organized Play for Mutants and Masterminds

exile

First Post
I was on the phone today with a good friend who is just starting to get into Living Forgotten Realms. He said that he wished there was an organized play group for Mutants and Masterminds. Anyway, I thought that was an absolutely brilliant idea and couldn't believe that I hadn't thought of it previously. What would it take to make such a thing happen? Is there any interest in it?

Chad

TheWyrd

First Post
I believe there was a yahoo group a while back for Living Freedom city. If I rememeber it never got off the ground.

Greg K

Legend
I don't know that I want to see a sanctioned M&M organized play. Imo, organized play is what led WOTC to catering to the RPGA players for DND playstyle when it came to making changes and ruining the game as a whole (note: I do like some of the 4e changes, just not the game, overall).

exile

First Post
Greg K,

I can certainly understand your concerns. I'm not convinced that the RPGA was the driving force behind the changes from 3.5 to 4E, but it might have contributed.

My reasons for wanting to see an organized play version of M&M are largely selfish. I live in a small town in KY (where players are few) and have an irregular work schedule. Organized play, by way of LFR and Pathfinder Society, gives me an opportunity to pick when and where I am going to play and maintain some sense of continuity with my characters.

I think it'd be awesome to be able to do that with Mutants and Masterminds.

Chad

Aus_Snow

First Post
i don't know that i want to see a sanctioned m&m organized play. Imo, organized play is what led wotc to catering to the rpga players for dnd playstyle when it came to making changes and ruining the game as a whole (note: I do like some of the 4e changes, just not the game, overall).
qft.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Interesting idea.
What would it take to make such a thing happen?
First, you'd need a 'living' setting. Given the nature of super hero gaming, that could be a serious issue. Worse, you'd have to have any associated licensing and IP rights straightened out.
Second, you'd need an organizing entity to provide adventures, keep records, maintain standards, etc.
Third, you'd need advertising to get those interested involved.

Again, a neat idea, but it will take a fair amount of work and resources to get it up and running.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I was on the phone today with a good friend who is just starting to get into Living Forgotten Realms. He said that he wished there was an organized play group for Mutants and Masterminds. Anyway, I thought that was an absolutely brilliant idea and couldn't believe that I hadn't thought of it previously. What would it take to make such a thing happen? Is there any interest in it?

Chad

Here's a list of ideas from my experience in playing RPGA for Living Greyhawk. I'm not saying one would have to do all this stuff, but it's a collection of ideas.

1. A central binding document on the organized play itself. Rules for uniformed character creation, allowable powers, banned powers (if any), adventure guidelines, consequences for tournament fraud, etc.
2. A committee to determine and overall story-line so authors can coordinate writing efforts toward play (optional). The committee is also responsible for updates, website maintenance, editing adventures, convention play, and handling tournament fraud.
3. A website for ordering mods and recording player points/rewards/whatever/etc. If there's time and resources, players can record their characters online and moderators can put up have fastplay characters.
4. Forms and adveture logs to keep track of swag, special benefits, etc.
5. A collection of adventures to get the campaign rolling. I would say that at least 10-15 a year is a good number for 4 hour slots, because there are those who go to cons just to play RPGA only and nothing else and there were many mini-cons of 2 two days running events, so having about 10-15 a year would be good.
6. Advertise and promote.

Obviously, doing a Living Whatever campaign costs a lot of time and money. If you want good writing, be willing to pay for it. If you want a community of organized play, be willing to organize it and centralize it, and promote it.

I'm sure others have some good ideas that I didn't mention so feel free to chime in and help out!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases