Prequel adventure to WotBS

sfedi

First Post
Well, I´m done with Scales of War and it inconsistencies.

Yet, I can´t start with War of the Burning Sky for 4E.

Anyone who has DM'd or played this path, have any suggestions on what I could do to bridge between these two campaigns? Kind of an adventure or mini arc between the two, while I wait until the path comes out.

So far, I´ve made the first two adventures of the path: an important town is attacked by hobgoblins and you rescue some prisoners (1st adventure) and a pass in a mountain range is besieged by orcs (2nd adventure).

For what little I know/read WotBS (the Player´s and DM Guides) there is a conflict near a mountain range.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Would you be using the same party? Because WotBS is designed to start at 1st level.

Also, if you're planning on running the first WotBS adventure when it comes out, you might want to think again about your second adventure - because WotBS #1 is a town in a mountain pass besieged by bad guys. You don't want to be running the same situation twice if you can help it.

Cadfan

First Post
Is there somewhere I can read about the inconsistencies in Scales of War? I'm looting it for material, and I'd like to know about any landmines.

sfedi

First Post
Cadfan, you can check the campaign forum:

Scales of War Discussion - Wizards Community

Would you be using the same party? Because WotBS is designed to start at 1st level.
Yes.
I'm willing to do some adaptation.

But maybe I convince my players to start all over again.

Also, if you're planning on running the first WotBS adventure when it comes out, you might want to think again about your second adventure - because WotBS #1 is a town in a mountain pass besieged by bad guys. You don't want to be running the same situation twice if you can help it.
You're right.

Fortunately, I'm only beginning the second adventure, so I can extend it, and keep away from the main conflict.

I think I have two routes here:
- DM related adventures in the area, without too much link to the main plot
- Go ahead and adapt the first module

The problem is that, although I've purchased the first two modules, I don't know how much of the plot will the new campaign retain.

I'm not sure how to proceed.

nicholasgeorg

First Post
Amen! It is really good. I left the AP after Shadowrift, and returned to my homebrew hodgepodge because I was fed up with the inconsistencies, but I am coming back for episodes 6 and 9. 7 is horrible, and should just be forgotten, but 8 isn't too bad.

Thanks Piratecat! Can you and Mr. Mouseferatu PLEASE just write the rest of the darn path? That would make me (and countless other SoW optimists) so happy!

Or, y'know, get me a writing gig. ;) I'd love to write for 4e.

sfedi, I directed WotBS and wrote several of the adventures. It would help if I knew just what's happened so far in your campaign, so we could try to tie stuff in easily. From what you've said, it sounds like it wouldn't be hard to just segue from the beginning of the SoW adventure 2 into the end of WotBS adventure 1.

You're already in a mountain pass. Say that perhaps the orcs are an advance group sent by the Ragesians (or whoever you're using in their place). The PCs find someone who was going on a diplomatic mission to request aid from Dassen and Seaquen, who the orcs have captured. The rest of the Ragesian army is on the way, so the PCs need to rescue that one person. You can adapt the inquisitor encounter here, and have Haddin be a diplomat working for Gate Pass. Then once the PCs defeat the orcs and the inquisitor with them, they can flee into the fire forest to shake pursuit.

Sound good?

sfedi

First Post
sfedi, I directed WotBS and wrote several of the adventures. It would help if I knew just what's happened so far in your campaign, so we could try to tie stuff in easily. From what you've said, it sounds like it wouldn't be hard to just segue from the beginning of the SoW adventure 2 into the end of WotBS adventure 1.
Sorry for the late answer.

I was negotiating with my players to see how we would proceed.

We will be starting fresh 1st level characters.

So I have no problem of continuity.

But then again, I must DM something before the first adventure comes out.

So I'm planning to do a couple of minor adventures near or in Gate Pass, so they get to know the city, it's inhabitants and set the initial mood. So they can really move in the city as locals during the first adventure.

My fear is how much should I assume the 4E version will differ from the 3.5 version of the adventure in terms of NPCs.

Maybe the best bet is to do something not very focused on the details of Gate Pass, but it's general mood and surroundings.

catsclaw227

First Post
How many sessions do you think you will run before May, when the 1st 4e WotBS adventure is released.

That will tell you a lot.

I guess the question is, how long are you willing to wait to get into running the 1st adventure?

Remove ads