WotC puts a stop to online sales of PDFs

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
You know Joe, I'd thought the same thing. But posting something like that here at Enworld is dangerous in that the pro-4E crowd will now attack you for speculating about the sales of 4E. I mean as long as you speculate that the sales arent doing well. If you were saying that the sales are brisk and awesome then that seems to be OK here.
Be aware: anyone who tries to turn this into an edition war will get to go visit other sites for a while. We'll have none of that, and we'll have no personal attacks against the people who work at WotC.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
By sales being less than projected, don't get me wrong. They can be through the roof. But if they are less than some spreadsheet said they had to be, based on factors not at all related to reality, heads will roll.
Well, the core book sales and PHB2 sales seemed pretty good, considering the reprint rates and amazon ranks (and problems).

However, I think it's very possible that they had less than expected PDF sales - meaning their e-department isn't reporting enough, hence the blame on piracy. That would also explain why they pulled the old edition products as well, because they're part of the same department.

Cheers, LT.

czak

First Post
Since losses due to pirating are impossible to prove, (and in fact pirating may arguably lead to more sales in the long run,) its also impossible to disprove.

Could cutting off the online sale of pdfs be an attempt to quantify / prove their damages? -- "Look m'lord, these pirates forced the plaintiff to stop doing business with these fine online merchants, which is costing us 300k a month in business?" -- "M'lord it is also my submission that the plaintiff lost the good will of many customers due to the defendants piracy, forcing them to shut down online sales"

Or are the damages all statutory down in the states?

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
What I find most annoying about this is that the honest people are being punished, and it's not going to slow down the dishonest people one bit.

Yep, first thing I thought of, too. Reminds me of some other things we can't discuss here because it's not about business policy. But the point is, it's silly to think this will help.

Plissken

Explorer
Then you'd be 99.9% wrong.

I'm positive that the staff at WotC are geeky enough to realise the futility and backlash of such a gesture.

Looks like I'm 99.9% + .1% right.

Posted by WoTC_Trevor:
Hey all. I wanted to step in and add shine a mote of light on the subject.

Unfortunately, due to recent findings of illegal copying and online distribution (piracy) of our products, Wizards of the Coast has decided to cease the sales of online PDFs. We are exploring other options for digitial distribution of our content and as soon as we have any more information I'll get it to you.

Press Releases

xechnao

First Post
Eh... I work in a corporate environment, and I think the only part that makes sense is it's a dumb idea. (Not yours the idea of taking the pdfs off.)

More then likely it isn't lack of sales altogether, but instead:

Lack of sales of the official pdfs + an increase in pirating.

It's pobably part of soemthing that's been tracked since day 1. Maybe someone's quarterly report finally showed the pirate to official pdf ratio was in the cancel now range...

What it doesn't account for is that it's new, so obviously more people will be pirating it. (especialy if it is popular.)

But can they track piracy? Is this possible for them?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It just hit me what this dumbass decision is all about. Sales are less than projected for 4e and DDI and a scapegoat is needed. Think about it. It makes no sense otherwise.

Plausible? Sure. But still entirely speculative.

"No sense otherwise?" Um... that's a bit much. Really, nobody speaking on this has enough data to claim they know what makes sense, and what doesn't.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
I wonder if Wizards might try something with a non-intrusive form of DRM.

One positive thing they might do (and I'd encourage) is consider releasing the products on something like Steam or iTunes. That seems pretty effective in stoping piracy of their games, supports authentication, etc.

Of course, does Steam do e-books? I know iTunes does...

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
Lending more proof to my theory that this is driven by not meeting corporate goals...

Hasbro to Webcast 2009 First Quarter Earnings Conference Call PAWTUCKET, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mar. 27, 2009-- Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) today announced that it will webcast its first quarter results via the Internet. The webcast will take place on Monday April 20, 2009 at 8:30 a.m. Eastern Time, following the release of Hasbro's financial results.

This is the sort of thing that you do a week or two before a quarterly meeting so that you boss can tell his boss and so on all the way up the ladder that yes, there is a problem meeting revenue goals, but look what we are doing to address it. I've seen this scenario too many times in my corporate past life...

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Did you report any torrents to WoTC?

Not torrents specifically, but I did report some specific individuals and sites, yeah (as did several other ENWorlders, I'm sure). I'll be honest — I wish I hadn't done that now. The only change that I've seen as a result of my trying to do the next right thing in this instance has been the shuttering of the sole affordable, legal, point of access to old, out of print, TSR products. :(

Remove ads