WotC puts a stop to online sales of PDFs

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
I am not sure what you are getting at. Obviously, for different people there are different last straws.

Well, yes, but I read quite a few posts over the Internet, on forums and blogs, about "last straws" from people who then continue to support WotC until something else happens (or who has withdrawn support from WotC ages ago), and then loudly claims that the latest issue is the last straw.

And around and around it goes. Which basically means that there certainly are last straws, but probably not as many as one could be led to believe reading feedback on the Internet.

/M

Fenes

First Post
Since cutting off legal access to PDFs won't diminish piracy at all I think you're wrong, Ryan - unless WotC's decision makers have missed the last 10 years of internet piracy.

Given that I do not think WotC's decision makers are that stupid I think this is not piracy-related, but related to remove legal access to older editions.

Miar

First Post
Have to agree with most people in that this is a huge PR blunder but that at this point is a dead horse. A bit ago I read something up on Teleread which now seems to be down (edit it's back up). Just in case it comes back up here's the link. The quote I'm wondering about is this:

"This makes just about as much sense as J.K. Rowling’s famous piracy-driven refusal to authorize any electronic editions of her Harry Potter novels. In both cases, the “pirated” copies circulating on-line come not from authorized versions, but from people scanning in the dead-tree book."

Anyone else heard that the piracy they're pursing is from dead-tree scans? Was this just something I missed in all the pages, or just random speculation on the article writer?

Mephistopheles

First Post
Here's what I think: It's because something has changed. WotC isn't doing this because they've suddenly become aware of everyday, run-of-the-mill piracy. They're doing it because the amount, or nature, of the piracy has sifted substantially in recent months. Maybe this new piracy already threatens their business, or maybe it's trending sharply in that direction. Whatever the case, it's beyond the routine.

I think it may be interesting to consider the point you're making in the context that this is the first edition of D&D to be released and targeted - at least to some degree - to the first generation to grow up with broadband internet.

I saw a documentary not so long ago about the topic of electronic downloading, in particular the topic of downloading music. There were quite a few people on the show in the 15-25 year range who admitted to downloading music illegaly and thought nothing of it; a common perspective was that if the material is available to download for free then why should anyone pay for it?

A launch of a new edition with electronic product support to such an audience could understandly see a spike in piracy of the product to a degree that would alarm WotC and perhaps goad them to take this action - not to mention the prelaunch leak of the 4E core, which certainly could not have helped matters. Still, I wish they would have put a little more thought into their response as I doubt it will generate much for them besides customer resentment.

Fenes

First Post
Well, yes, but I read quite a few posts over the Internet, on forums and blogs, about "last straws" from people who then continue to support WotC until something else happens (or who has withdrawn support from WotC ages ago), and then loudly claims that the latest issue is the last straw.

And around and around it goes. Which basically means that there certainly are last straws, but probably not as many as one could be led to believe reading feedback on the Internet.

/M

In my case it does not matter what would be the last straw for me. I do not play 4E, I play 3.5, and WotC decided they won't sell the books I wanted (MIC, Complete Mage among other things) to me anymore. I did not decide anything, it was decided for me.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
I did not decide anything, it was decided for me.

Well, you did decide not to buy the books while they were available. That's one thing we all can take with us from this.

PDFs are not guaranteed to be available forever. Which is a shame, but then again, I didn't buy PDFs so it's easy for me to not be bothered about it.

/M

Jeff Wilder

First Post
PDFs are not guaranteed to be available forever.
They pretty much are, actually. I know you meant "legal PDFs," but that's the thing: taking away the legal versions isn't going to affect the illegal versions. Except to make them more popular for less guilt and stigma.

xechnao

First Post
Why the gap when they are unavailable? If you plan to sell them yourself why not start selling them yourself and then cut off the other retailers. No, I don't think this is part of the current plan except "down the line".

For legal reasons? (exclusivity contracts?)
For avoiding damaging industry-business and customer PRs reasons?
For technical reasons? (not ready yet but soon to be?)
For beneficial marketing reasons that come along with issuing the lawsuits?
All of the above???

Xyxox

Hero
So why would WotC suddenly make a policy about-face, and launch a major (for WotC, at least) and probably very expensive legal offensive?

Here's what I think: It's because something has changed. WotC isn't doing this because they've suddenly become aware of everyday, run-of-the-mill piracy. They're doing it because the amount, or nature, of the piracy has sifted substantially in recent months. Maybe this new piracy already threatens their business, or maybe it's trending sharply in that direction. Whatever the case, it's beyond the routine.

So why did they cut off all PDFs, and without warning? I don't know, but I suspect it's no accident. It's probably a tactical move related to the legal offensive. Here's something else I know for sure: Scott had to know there would be PR fallout for this approach (though I don't think anyone could have predicted the depth of vitriol). He chose to pay that price, so it must have been pretty important to the success of the legal action.

Again, this is my speculation. Slightly informed speculation, maybe, but still pure speculation and nothing else. Like everyone else, I'm waiting to see what happens next.

(Hi, Sean!)

Here's my speculation.

What changed was the resurgance of people picking up older versions of the game. This competed directly with the current version. That coupled with piracy which has always been around spurred a strategy of pulling ALL PDFs and using piracy and the legitimate court case as the scapegoat. All older product gets pulled along with new product, thus ending the self competition and forcing price increases in the after market sales of older edition material.

There will never be an end to piracy, or even a slowing of it. The RIAA proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt, but piracy makes an oh so handy scapegoat to allow the pulling of the older edition material.

IF my speculation is correct, this is what will happen:

1) 4E Electronic Media will be made available via the DDI in the not too distant future, and will be announced as the next "feature" in DDI.

2) Promises will be made that older material will appear in DDI at some unspecified future date. This alleviates the nerd rage and is the "I'll never beat you again" phase of the spousal abuse syndrome.

3) We will never see the older material legally available in electronic media again.

Yeah, I know I'm saying WotC is lying to us.

But I would say, "look at the pattern of the past two years starting with the promise that 4E was not forthcoming."

Nymrohd

First Post
After a little research I can attest that the majority of 4E pirated PDF products currently available are not scans but official copies. The difference being a rather diminished file size (close to a third of scanned books) as well as a far better index, easier to search file and the fact you can copy paste text and images easier than you could from even the best quality of scan. Make of that what you will.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases