Why DON'T you pirate?

I'm not saying "you should go ahead and pirate."

I'm wondering what the reasons are that people do not download illegal material. I can think of five. I also think that most of these are not controlled by the owner of the IP. (Please share more if you've got them). Also, I want to point out that I'm mainly discussing the "download" aspect of this, and not so much the upload or creation of illegal files.

1. Ethics. They simply won't pirate, or they'll only pirate within some sort of "moral code", e.g. as "browsers," (i.e. "sample" a book that they can't otherwise find in order to make a determination on buying it--like looking through it in a bookstore or an Amazon preview--then delete it.) This is intrinsic to the person (potential customer) and cannot really be affected by the company.

2. Quality. Simply, that they want the book in print, and piracy is all digital. (That or the digital copies are poor.) This is a quality issue and is constant for every publisher contending with piracy. This is not the case for company created PDFs, though. If this is the only reason someone doesn't pirate, they'll happily pirate a "pdf for sale."

3. Fear. Fear of getting caught and somehow punished. This is one that the IP holder can enforce, but is like, as someone has put, the little dutch boy putting his finger in a dike.

4. Availability. There simply are not pirated copies available for download. Conversely, this can be a reason people do pirate; there simply are not legal copies available (out of print, not available in their country, they want a PDF and there are only print books).

5. Goodwill. This is the big one for many people who are willing to pirate in some cases, but not in others. I have friends who will pirate from companies or artists they don't respect, but not from those they do respect. I also have friends that will pirate from those they respect, and then LATER BUY THE SAME SONG with actual money. In some ways this is similar to buying new out of print books at a discount versus buying the books new from the publisher. It is goodwill that matters most in actually wanting to give your money to someone. I DON'T want certain companies to get my money. Specifically I want them to NOT get my money. Alternatively, I want other companies to get my money. It is my goodwill that drives me to purchase brand new books directly from a company (sans even Amazon discount), while "badwill" that makes me choose to only buy books used or secondhand from another.

EDIT (more brought up in the thread):

6. It is illegal. This is a shade different from both #1 and #3. Illegality is its own animal, but can be highly related or conflated with both ethics and punishment. There are immoral laws (e.g. old laws allowing slavery) and there are legal things you can do that are immoral (e.g. cheat on your girlfriend). Illegality and morality can inform one another, though (e.g. imagine a country in which downloaded copyrighted material was legal...many might still feel it was immoral. However, more people might feel it was moral since it was not illegal).

7. Hipocracy/identification with the producer of the product. You yourself create something that you would not want pirated, and so you have an investment against piracy. This can include other D&D pdfs, but it can be as widespread as art, music, or even free things like fansites that you wouldn't want to be "ripped off."

Edit 2:

8. Convenience. There is a reasonable, safe, and legal alternative that is simply more convenient than pirating. Even if none of the above mattered to you, it is just easier not to pirate.

9. Pennies to the Dollar. You are doing well financially relative to the item you could pirate, but don't. If you couldn't afford it, you might think about pirating it, but you have the luxury of having enough money to spend on entertainment items like music, art, books etc.

So what do you all think? Agree, disagree, or have other reasons not to illegally download?

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, other than the obvious "it's illegal" reason - because I produce digital stuff and I know how it feels to see people pirating it. It's not a nice feeling.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
I certainly like the courtesy answer, and I was about to say the same thing.

But the bottom line is ethics. I'm not willing to sell off my honor for the price of an RPG book.

Heck, if I had the opportunity to drive off in someone else's brand-new Lambourgini, with every reason to believe I'd never be caught, I wouldn't do it. $150K is not enough money to buy my honesty, my self-worth, my integrity. A $30 RPG certainly isn't.

Frankly, I feel sorry for the people who don't value their honor any higher than that. Because dress it up behind whatever fancy rationalizations you want, that's what it boils down to.

EATherrian

First Post
For me it's mostly ethics, morals and a bit of avoiding hypocrisy. I don't think that taking others' work without either their permission or payment is right. I just don't, I guess my parents raised me well. I'm trying to become published myself, and I know how hard it is to make anything in that business, so I sure would not want to add to that problem.

I don't pirate for the same reason I don't shoplift. Theft is an inherently destructive act. It destroys monetary value of the goods stolen, it destroys incentive to produce, and it destroys faith in the systems of society. I have never seen an argument to the contrary that wasn't either self-serving or based on extreme circumstances and therefore questionable.

I am all in favor of revising intellectual property law to allow for greater freedom of use, and I am all in favor of punishing those like the RIAA who use wealth to abuse the legal system. Neither of those feelings justify theft.

Lest you think me holier-than-thou, I freely admit that when I was an adolescent and a teenager I engaged in infrequent petty theft and software piracy for personal use. I never made any pretense that I was in any way justified, however, and I'm happy to say that I can avoid that temptation as a gainfully-employed adult.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
I'm somewhere between #1 and #5. I feel that I should actually pay for the material I use. I'm also the sort who thinks that pirate PDFs are an excellent way to get people to read the books, which leads to using the books, which leads to new purchases. I've seen it happen plenty of times that younger gamers download PDFs because they have little money, but as soon as they get real jobs and have income, they start buying every darn thing they can, if only to have those nice shiny books on the shelf.

I do think that PDFs need to be cheaper. Looking at iTunes, we can see that people are willing to pay for easily-pirated music if the price is right. I think the same goes for books. I'd be very pleased to pick up a set of the 4E books on PDF, but not for the price of the books I've already paid for.

thadrine

Explorer
I pay for anything that I will actually play, and for a lot of things that just make me want to support the creators.

That said, I do download a lot of PDFs, simply because there are no gaming stores near me. I have to look through a book before I will buy, because there is a lot of crap out there. If I like and plan on using it, I will buy it.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I don't pirate because I get a lot of enjoyment out of gaming, and I want to encourage people to continue making products for it.

Beyond that, I believe that gaming is made up of good people who I want to help out where I can...they're living a dream of actually writing for a living, and I want to help that any way I can.

You can debate all of the other issues (in my opinion) but when it comes right down to it, I think keeping money from folks, many of whom I interact with on Enworld, would make me a jerk. I think there are enough jerks in the world so that we don't need n+1.

Just my opinion, obviously...

--Steve

Remove ads