witch class

mhensley

First Post
Has anyone here played using the witch class from the DMG? I think that it might be just what I am looking for in making a low magic campaign. I am thinking of limiting classes to just the fighter, rogue, and the witch.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I have not played the witch, however Dragon #300's article on hag items was inspirational. It would be approrpiate, for October.

Neo

Explorer
I use the version of Witch from Mongooses Quintessential Witch in my game, which Is the DMG version expanded upon.

Poltergeist

First Post
I didn't know there was a quintessential Witch book out...will have to check that out. I was working on an alternate core class for the witch but will check this book out before I worry about posting it.

I think the witch as is in the DMG would be quite a bit underpowered due to the much weaker and smaller spell list.

Neo

Explorer
Poltergeist said:
I didn't know there was a quintessential Witch book out...will have to check that out. I was working on an alternate core class for the witch but will check this book out before I worry about posting it.

I think the witch as is in the DMG would be quite a bit underpowered due to the much weaker and smaller spell list.

Yup http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/quintessential_witch.htm

I was one of those who playtested this and can highly recommend it.

kreynolds

First Post
Poltergeist said:

True. The spell list is the witch's greatest limiting factor, but by the same token, it just needs to be expanded a bit. Throw in some cleric spells from DotF, some druid spells from MotW, and a few more of those from MaoF and you've got yourself a decent player class. :)

That's the one stipulation that I've been given before I can play a witch...I have to help the DM create a bigger spell list.

Mistwell

kreynolds said:

True. The spell list is the witch's greatest limiting factor, but by the same token, it just needs to be expanded a bit. Throw in some cleric spells from DotF, some druid spells from MotW, and a few more of those from MaoF and you've got yourself a decent player class. :)

That's the one stipulation that I've been given before I can play a witch...I have to help the DM create a bigger spell list.

I'd like to hear about that expanded list, if you come up with one.

Off-hand I'd say that the following Masters of the Wild spells should be added to the list:

Darkseed, daze animal, fire eyes, scarecrow, wood wose, creeping cold, decomposition, countermoon, false bravado, beget bogun, blight, languor, big sky, kiss of death, contagious touch, greater creeping cold, speak with anything, epidemic, and lookingglass.

Mmmm, I'm starting to get some ideas for this years wicked halloween game :) I'm thinking a little Blair Witch Project is in order, playing outside at night in the woods, my own portable sounds or music (perhaps hidden), with a nasty witch and ample use of some of those hag items from Dragon #300 (like Bramble Man and Yackti figure). Are ghost sound and dancing lights on the Witch list already? Ah yes, I see they are. Muhahaha!

Sarellion

Explorer
Someone on the wizards boards has worked on the witch class and he got quite a lot of praise. I think it was in the classes forum for D&D. I have got a version of it. It is made by Shadowfoot on the wizards Board

The document:

Witches

My witch began as an attempt to flesh out "the witch," the NPC class idea presented in the DMG as a variant sorcerer spell list (13 spells for each of the first 7 spell levels and 6 spells per level thereafter - a nice nod to numerology). After official errata, however, that 13/6 pattern was destroyed and the list needed repair. While great in capturing elements of the classic witch in one PHB-based list, I thought the idea of "witch" could extended beyond simply a spell list. In revising the list, I followed a 13/7 pattern (equally numerological) and incorporated domain-like Arts, which allow your witch access to a few more spells, allow me to incorporate concepts like black magic and pentacles, and allow the player to flavor his or her witch. Fairy Witches? Check. Cat Cultists? Check. Stevie Nicks? Check.

Completed PrCs? Dabbler, Demon Witch, Sister of the Moon, and Weird Sister/Grand Warlock

Tell me what you think.

THE WITCH/WARLOCK
Mistress of a haunted forest, healer and potion woman at the outskirts of your village, the crone creeping through crypts and caves, and that strangely charming maiden: witches are objects of mystery and suspicion in most cultures, even hated and persecuted in others. Like sorceresses, witches are born with their aptitude for charms, trickery, and nature magic, perhaps from the union of an ancestor and a Fey, Lycanthrope, or Outsider. Witches also draw upon additional sources of arcane inspiration, such as symbols and certain creatures, by dabbling in arcane Arts.

Witch is a path often pursued by humans, half-elves, half-orcs, and elves. The vast majority of witches are female, such as the elven Millaire of Hiddenwood; Hagga, Witch Queen of Widow's Peak; and the lich-hag Sivix. Male witches, uncommon except among the drow, are usually called warlocks.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Witches have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Charisma is a very important characteristic for witches, as it dictates their prowess as spellcasters and eventually their resistance to charms. Wisdom contributes to several class skills while also boosting their ability to resist Enchantments. And, lacking armor and most protective magicks, witches can greatly benefit from high Dexterity scores to avoid deadly blows.
Base Attack Bonus: Low (as a sorceress)
Hit Die: d4
Saves: High Will
Alignment: Any
Starting Age: As a sorceress
Starting Gold: 3d4 x 10gp
Favored Class: Witch is a favored class for Humans and Half-Elves, and an additional favored class for Half-Orcs and Drow males (at the DM's discretion).

CLASS SKILLS
The witch's class skills are Alchemy (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Innuendo (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Move Silently (Dex), Scry (Int, exclusive skill), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Wilderness Lore (Wis).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Intelligence modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier

CLASS FEATURES
All of the following are class features of the witch.
Weapons and Armor Proficiency: Witches are proficient with the club, dagger, dart, and quarterstaff. They are not proficient with any type of armor or with shields.

1 Spellcasting, Familiar, Dabble, Silver Vulnerability
3 Brew Potion
5 Trackless Step
6 Resist Charm
7 Bewitch
10 Coven Magic
13 Hex
20 Eternal Youth

Spellcasting: Witches cast arcane spells as sorcerers, based on Charisma and using the sorcerer's Spells Known and Spells Per Day tables. However, witches use their own spell list, called Witchcraft:
 0 Level: cure minor wounds, dancing lights, daze, detect magic, detect poison, ghost sound, guidance, light, mending, minor disguise, phantasmal whisperer, prestidigitation, read magic
 1st Level: cause fear, charm person or animal, command, cure light wounds, doom, entangle, glamer (change self), hypnotism, identify, message, obscuring mist, silent image, sleep
 2nd Level: alter self, augury, blindness/deafness, cure moderate wounds, delay poison, eagle's splendor, enthrall, glitterdust, invisibility, minor image, scare, Tasha's hideous laughter, whispering wind
 3rd Level: bestow curse, call lightning, clairvoyance/clairaudience, contagion, corpse candle, dispel magic, gust of wind, hold person, magic circle against chaos/evil/good/law, poison, remove blindness/deafness, spectral force, suggestion
 4th Level: charm monster, control plants, discern lies, divination, emotion, Evard's black tentacles, fear, hallucinatory terrain, neutralize poison, polymorph other, polymorph self, remove curse, scrying
 5th Level: break enchantment, circle of doom, control winds, dream, feeblemind, greater command, greater scrying, hold monster, magic jar, mind fog, mirage arcana, nightmare, wall of thorns
 6th Level: animate objects, control weather, eyebite, flesh to stone, forbiddance, geas/quest, legend lore, mass suggestion, mislead, project image, spellstaff, true seeing, veil
 7th Level: banishment, creeping doom, finger of death, insanity, liveoak, transport via plants, vision
 8th Level: binding, discern location, horrid wilting, mass charm, polymorph any object, power word blind, trap the soul
 9th Level: cast in stone, foresight, shape change, storm of vengeance, temporal stasis, wail of the banshee, weird
Spell Notes: When casting any spell with a Divine Focus, the witch can substitute a sprig of belladonna. When learning a spell similar to a lower-level spell already known, sorcerous spellcasters (bards, sorcerers, and witches) can choose to upgrade to the new known spell, forgetting the lower level version and freeing that spell slot for a new learned spell. For example, a witch learning greater scrying can choose to forget the scrying spell she knows, replacing it with another 4th level witchcraft spell. Spell chains include alter self/polymorph self/shape change, cause fear/scare/fear, cure minor wounds/cure light wounds/cure moderate wounds, minor disguise/change self/veil, etc.

Dabble: Each witch has an affinity for one of the forbidden, secret, or obscure branches of witchcraft, called the Arts. The Art chosen can either reflect the witch's personal preference or hint at the nature of her magical heredity (descendants of a humanoid/Fey union may naturally have a knack for Fairy Magic, for example). At 1st level, the witch Dabbles in her Art, gaining the associated power and adding the listed spells to her witch class spell list. The witch does not automatically learn the listed spells; dabble spells must be learned just like any other spell from the witchcraft spell list:
 Black Magic: Also known as the Dark Arts, Bone Magic, and Voodoo, Black Magic is a vile branch of witchcraft devoted to death. Only witches of Evil alignment dabble in Black Magic. Power: Poison Apples: The witch can handle poisons with no chance of poisoning herself. Spells: 0 inflict minor wounds, 1 ray of enfeeblement, 2 command undead, 3 vampiric touch, 4 blight, 5 animate dead, 6 circle of death, 7 whirlwind of bones, 8 unholy aura, 9 soul bind
 Cat Magic: Indifferent yet curious, cats are revered by many witches as mystical creatures, and their essence tapped for arcane power. Only witches with a Neutral component to their alignment dabble in Cat Magic, and those that do always receive a cat familiar. Power: Tongue of the Cat: Three times per day, the witch can communicate with felines as if casting speak with animals. Spells: 0 silent portal, 1 claws of the beast, 2 cat's grace, 3 embrace of the wild (felines), 4 mass darkvision, 5 summon nature's ally V (tiger/lion), 6 wail of doom, 7 bite of the weretiger, 8 summon monster VIII (androsphinx), 9 summon monster IX (rakshasa/lammasu)
 Crystals: Many witches harness the hidden mystical power inherent to crystals, shards, and gems. Only witches of Nonevil alignment dabble with Crystals. Power: Spellcrystal: Once per day, the witch can cast one spell as if affected by the Eschew Materials, Silent Spell, or Still Spell feat without taking up the higher slot, as long as she possess any crystal (from a diamond to worthless quartz). Spells: 0 resistance, 1 color spray, 2 gembomb, 3 diamondsteel, 4 Simbul's spell matrix, 5 wall of stone (quartz), 6 Dhulark's glasstrike, 7 prismatic spray, 8 gemjump (works on any gem), 9 soul bind
 Curses: The curse already plays a major role in mainstream witchcraft, yet there are even deeper pools of cruelty and venom to explore. Only Nongood witches dabble in Curses. Power: Profanity: Once per day, the witch can cast one spell as if affected by the Eschew Materials or Still Spell feat without taking up the higher slot. Spells: 0 darkseed, 1 smell of fear, 2 curse of ill fortune, 3 infestation of maggots, 4 blight, 5 mark of justice, 6 curse of lycanthrope, 7 blasphemy, 8 greater planar binding, 9 imprisonment
 Demonology: Summoning spells are rare in mainstream witchcraft. Some witches, however, dabble in Demonology, the forbidden form of summoning, coercing, and imploring demons, devils, and other fiends to do their bidding. Only Nongood witches can dabble in the Infernal Art. Power: The witch speaks Abyssal and Infernal as bonus languages. Spells: 0 fire eyes, 1 protection from evil, 2 summon monster II (evil outsiders), 3 summon monster III (evil outsiders), 4 wall of fire, 5 summon monster V (evil outsiders), 6 fiendform, 7 summon monster VII (evil outsiders), 8 death pact, 9 summon monster IX (evil outsiders). Prestige Class: Demon Witch.
 Fairy Magic: Some witches tap the Fey for arcane inspiration, drawing on the magic of these nature spirits to augment their own. Only Nonlawful witches can dabble in Fairy Magic, a favorite Art of elves. Power: The witch speaks Sylvan and either Aquan, Auran, Elven, or Terran as bonus languages. Spells: 0 daze animal, 1 faerie fire, 2 animal messenger, 3 nondetection, 4 freedom of movement, 5 commune with nature, 6 summon nature's ally VI (unicorn), 7 limited wish, 8 command plants, 9 summon nature's ally IX (pixie)
 Folk Magic: Mysterious but earthy, spiritual yet vengeful, gypsies often dabble in Folk Magic, a hodgepodge Art also practiced by peasant herbalists, witch doctors, and other Nonlawful witches. Power: The witch gains two of the following as class skills: Bluff, Knowledge (Local), Perform, or Pick Pocket. Spells: 0 purify food and drink, 1 glib tongue, 2 fog cloud, 3 speak with dead, 4 locate creature, 5 bite of the werewolf, 6 mandragora, 7 shifting paths, 8 refuge, 9 power word kill
 Incantations: Incantations are chants and recitations that evoke magic. Due to the structure and precision of the Spoken Art, dabblers in Incantations can only be Nonchaotic. Power: Speakspell: Once per day, the witch can cast one spell as if affected by the Eschew Materials or Still Spell feat without taking up the higher spell slot. Spells: 0 distract, 1 protection from chaos/evil/good/law, 2 shatter, 3 prayer, 4 recitation, 5 lesser planar binding, 6 word of recall, 7 power word stun, 8 speak with anything, 9 wish
 Mirrors: Some witches find power in mirrors, in reversed worlds and revealed truths. Others simply find power in their own image - a vanity and narcissism that fuels their ambitions. Only Nonchaotic witches dabble in Mirrors. Power: Self-Image: When she successfully makes a Will save against an Enchantment that normally inflicts a partial effect with a successful save, the witch suffers no partial effect. Spells: 0 flare, 1 entropic shield, 2 mirror image, 3 reverse arrows, 4 locate creature, 5 Dhulark's glasstrike, 6 translocation trick, 7 spell turning, 8 clone, 9 lookingglass
 Mist Magic: Slowly creeping fogs and eerily quiet clouds. Some witches draw on the essence of mists for arcane inspiration. Only witches with a Neutral component to their alignment dabble in Mist Magic. Power: Fogfoot: Once per day for 10 minutes, the witch can pass without trace through any environment. Spells: 0 fire eyes, 1 feather fall, 2 fog cloud, 3 gaseous form, 4 bottle of smoke, 5 cloudkill, 6 wind walk, 7 etherealness, 8 incendiary cloud, 9 summon monster IX (elder air elemental)
 Moon Magic: Tapping the energies of the moon, the night, and darkness, witches who dabble in Moon Magic, also known as the Pale Circle and the Night Arts, must have a Neutral component to their alignment. Power: The witch gains low-light vision; if she already possesses this ability, she can now see three times as far (instead of twice as far) as a creature without it. Spells: 0 ray of frost, 1 net of shadows, 2 moonbeam, 3 moon blade, 4 shadow conjuration, 5 moon path, 6 bite of the wereboar, 7 shadow walk, 8 dream image, 9 summon monster IX (night hag) Prestige Class: Sister of the Moon.
 Numerology: Some witches hold that numbers have power, that destinies are borne and empires destroyed by their hidden meanings and powerful sequences. Only Nonchaotic witches dabble in Numerology. Power: Numerate: Once per day, the witch can cast any single spell as if affected by the Enlarge Spell or Extend Spell feat without taking up the higher spell slot. Spells: 0 easy math, 1 enlarge, 2 mirror image, 3 slow, 4 restoration, 5 spell resistance, 6 mass haste, 7 simulacrum, 8 project multiple images, 9 time stop
 Pentacles: The pentacle, the five-pointed star at the basis of the magic circle spells, is a powerful symbol to the witch. Some witches, however, recognize additional power in this particular rune. Witches dabbling in Pentacles must be Nonchaotic. Power: The witch gains the Spell Thematics feat with the Pentacles Dabble spell list; the manifestation always includes images of pentacles. Spells: 0 arcane mark, 1 shield, 2 hypnotic pattern, 3 glyph of warding, 4 wall of fire (ring), 5 healing circle, 6 circle of death, 7 antimagic aura, 8 symbol, 9 teleportation circle
 Serpent Magic: This often sinister Art, also known as the Serpentine Way, draws on the essence of snakes for arcane power. Only Nongood witches can dabble in Serpent Magic, and those that do always receive a snake (tiny) as a familiar. Power: The witch receives the Resist Poison feat for free. Spells: 0 inflict minor wounds, 1 animate rope, 2 summon monster II (viper), 3 sepia snake sigil, 4 gutsnake, 5 kiss of death, 6 summon monster VI (viper), 7 vipergout, 8 summon monster VIII (lillend/salamander), 9 summon monster IX (couatl)
 Spider Magic: Also known as Arachnomancy or the Drow Art, Spider Magic draws on the essence of the spider for arcane power. Only Evil witches, most commonly drow warlocks, can dabble in Spider Magic. Power: The witch receives the Resist Poison feat for free. Spells: 0 inflict minor wounds, 1 spider climb, 2 web, 3 spider poison, 4 giant vermin, 5 spiderform, 6 spider curse, 7 summon monster VII (bebelith), 8 cocoon, 9 spider shapes
 Spirit Magic: Some witches tap the unseen world for power, holding sway over spirits and souls. Only Evil and Good witches can dabble in Spirit Magic. Power: Strong Spirit: The witch is immune to fear. Spells: 0 ghostharp, 1 spirit worm, 2 detect thoughts, 3 speak with dead, 4 phantasmal killer, 5 spiritwall, 6 reincarnate, 7 summon monster VII (djinni/belker), 8 astral projection, 9 soul bind
 White Magic: White Magic is the magic of light and life, goodness and beauty, and is dabbled in exclusively by Good witches. Power: Gentle Touch: The witch can heal 2hps per level per day; otherwise as a paladin's Lay Hands ability. Spells: 0 disrupt undead, 1 bless, 2 calm emotions, 3 negative plane protection, 4 primal lightning, 5 dispel evil, 6 heal, 7 sunbeam, 8 crown of glory, 9 prismatic sphere
Should the witch change alignment to one that violates her Art's restriction, she loses her granted Power and access to the related Dabble spell list, although spells known are not affected. Once her alignment again agrees with her Art, her Power and spell access return.

These spells often represent a slice of the spells associated with each Art. Full access is gained through prestige classes that Practice a given Art (as opposed to Dabble in it), such as cat cultist, crone, demon witch, le faere, scalemaid, sister of the moon, and white witch. Witches can dabble in multiple Arts through the dabbler and weird sister/grand warlock prestige classes.

Familiar: The witch can obtain a familiar, which takes one day and uses up magical materials that cost 100gp. Some Arts, such as Cat Magic, dictate the type of familiar received.

Silver Vulnerability: Due to the peculiar magic that flows in their blood, all witches share a common vulnerability to certain silver weapons. Silver weapons that slash or pierce the witch enjoy the benefit of the Improved Critical feat, even if the weapon's wielder does not have or even qualify for that feat. Should the witch suffer a critical hit from such a weapon, she must make a Fortitude check (DC equal to the damage dealt) or experience such debilitating pain that she is then nauseated for 1 round. Damage a witch suffers from silver weapons can only be healed with magic.

Brew Potion (3rd level): At 3rd level, the witch receives the Brew Potion feat for free.

Trackless Step (5th level): Starting at 5th level, the witch leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked.

Resist Charm (6th level): At 6th level, the witch adds her Charisma bonus to Will saves against Enchantment and Fear spells and effects.

Bewitch (7th level): By merely uttering a few seductive words, a witch of 7th level or higher can bewitch another creature as if she had cast charm person. Creatures save against this effect at a -4 penalty; if the witch physically touches (but not attacks) the creature, the save is made at an additional -2 penalty. A witch can only bewitch creatures normally subject to the charm person spell. This spell-like ability can be used once per day.

Coven Magic (10th level): Many witches align themselves in small groups of likeminded witches called covens, as witches literally find power in numbers. In the presence of at least two other witches, a witch of at least 10th level can cast spells as if she had the Cooperative Spell feat, enabling her and surrounding witches to simultaneously cast the same spell to increase its strength. Normal Metamagic rules for sorcerers apply.

Hex (13th level): By uttering a few carefully chosen words, the witch can hex any creature within 30 feet as if she had cast a ranged version of bestow curse. Creatures save against this effect at a -4 penalty. In addition, the witch is considered four levels higher against remove curse or similar attempts to lift the hex. This spell-like ability can be used once per day.

Eternal Youth (20th level): At 20th level, the witch no longer suffers ability penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. In addition, she returns to the youthful vigor she enjoyed as a young woman, seeming to turn back the clock to regain her beauty. Any aging penalties already accumulated are negated. Bonuses are still counted and accrued, however, and the witch still dies of old age when her time it up.

Epic Witch: The epic-level witch continues her Hit Die and skill point progressions. In addition, she receives bonus epic feats at 23rd level and every three levels thereafter (23rd, 26th, 29th, 32nd, etc), chosen from the following: Augmented Alchemy, Automatic Quicken Spell, Automatic Silent Spell, Automatic Still Spell, Enhance Spell, Epic Counterspell, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Spell Penetration, Epic Spellcasting, Epic Will, Extended Life Span, Familiar Spell, Great Charisma, Ignore Material Components, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Heighten Spell, Improved Metamagic, Improved Spell Capacity, Intensify Spell, Master Staff, Master Wand, Multispell, Permanent Emanation, Spell Knowledge, Spell Stowaway, Spell Opportunity, and Tenacious Magic.

Last edited:

Mistwell

That is a pretty good development of the Witch class. I like the Dabble develpment. It makes tailoring the witch far more flexible (and probably makes more sense than Cleric domain tailoring). I'd add a few more spells to their list, however.

Remove ads