Retailer's Stance on PDF Deals

Caerin

First Post
I don't know if I'm typical or not, but here's my stance on .pdf and print.

Physical books are reading copies, and .pdfs are working copies. I use the pdf of an advenutre to print out maps and relevant creature stats for use at the game table (I do not have a laptop). I can then write on them, change them, and whatnot without messing up my printed copy. I can also print out pictures or players maps for player use without ripping my printed book or having to make photcopies. I can select text to give to the players in another document. If I'm simply reading an adventure, I do it in print form because it's easier on my eyes.

I downloaded the free Exalted RPG book. I gave it a brief look through and will likely read the first two chapters on line. If I like what I see, I will buy the print book because I ceratinly don't want to read 400-ish pages on a computer screen.

Bottom line is, owning a pdf has no bearing for me on whether or not I'll own the physical copy. To me, .pdf is a wonderful way to preview stuff and to use as a working document, but print is my preferred medium for reading.

I've got a similar view. I downloaded Exalted, and if I like it, I'll probably buy the print book, as well as items that support it. I might also buy the pdfs at some point- with WotC's I regularly bought both- but really, all of these actions have only made it more likely that I'll use my local gaming store.

Obryn

Hero
What readers should understand, with regards to the tone of publisher responses (including my own) is that there is a history there that the public isn't aware of.
That may be the case, but if the public isn't aware of that context, you can't expect them to understand it.

I mean, WotC gets crap tossed their way with every cloud analogy and Rawr the Gnome joke. I'd mark this as a lot less professional than either of those. :)

-O

GMSkarka

Explorer
That may be the case, but if the public isn't aware of that context, you can't expect them to understand it.

I mean, WotC gets crap tossed their way with every cloud analogy and Rawr the Gnome joke. I'd mark this as a lot less professional than either of those.

Which may be why it was posted on her personal blog, rather than any official GR outlet (such as their facebook page, website, press mailing, etc.).

I guess what I'm saying is: If the public comes across the personal statements of somebody in the industry, which somebody else decides to publicize in a forum, it's best to assume that there's probably context that you're missing.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Honestly? If anybody other than Marcus King had written this, I'd be concerned. This is the same guy who has used his RPGNet column to complain about how his staffers, landlords, potential landlords, RPG publishers, etc are all to blame for his retail woes. In that light, this latest plea just comes across as another "Sales are down! Must find somebody else to blame!" screed. :erm:

AllisterH

First Post
Query:

From the tone of this thread, I get the distinct impression nobody really wants the gamestore anymore...Wouln't the loss of the FLGS significantly hurt the hobby or is the brick and mortar store no longer the gateway for many people?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Query:

From the tone of this thread, I get the distinct impression nobody really wants the gamestore anymore...Wouln't the loss of the FLGS significantly hurt the hobby or is the brick and mortar store no longer the gateway for many people?

Saying that the cited article in the OP is hyperbolic or overly dramatic isn't the same thing as saying one doesn't want brick and mortar game stores. I want brick and mortar game stores. I think most people here probably want brick and mortar game stores.

Wanting brick and mortar game stores and wanting to talk about the current market in something other than panicked squeals are not mutually exclusive goals.

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
Query:

For myself, it's not so much that I don't want the gamestore anymore. What I don't want is the gamestores that assume they deserves my money just because they're gamestores. Stores that can't offer more than just selling books are stores that I'm not interested in patronizing. If stores treat their product as a commodity, they shouldn't be surprised (or dismayed) when their customers do the same. In commodities, the bulk-stores and internet sellers will always win.

Glyfair

Explorer
Consider me shocked, shocked that a brick-and-mortar store owner shares WotC's backward paranoia about PDFs.

I don't know if I can handle any more shocking revelations this week.
What paranoia? He is complaining about the companies giving discounts to one retail channel for their products.

I know the argument will be made that these are different products. That has merit. However, the argument that they are the same fundamental product is even stronger (do you consider a paperback and hardback version of the same book "different products).

He isn't complaining PDF exist and are sold (or even stolen). He is complaining that they are being sold at a discount while his channel doesn't get the same consideration.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases