Professional GM: Possible Return

So it's been a couple of weeks now. Have you had a paid session yet, or at the very least an inquiry from someone willing to pay to run a session?

Not yet. I'm still setting up.

It started out with just the LFR the first week, which doesn't have much demand to begin with. No surprise that there's no chomp there.

There's only two adventures currently available, and I haven't gotten the first client benefit yet. Tomorrow I'm headed over to several businesses before checking out a possible job opening for a karaoker mc (the ad was up last week but I can at least sing for a free drink, heh).

The site needs more work. My writing sample to Reality Deviant Publications was good enough to get a request for a 10 page series of encounters so I'm working on that this week as well. Job hunting obviously comes first.

I don't expect any business until I've fixed up the site some more and gained the first benefit for clients. Also, I may have to approach specific clientele to get started but I'm going to wait until after I've put together a few clinet benefits.

It's probably going to be another week or two before I get my first client. There will be some significant add-ons by that point.

I'd pay $8/hour, and I believe my group would agree (again, compare to movie prices). $16 is too much, unless the gaming experience is excellent, beyond what we could normally get playing among ourselves.

Bullgrit

It's not per hour. It's a flat fee for the whole session.

Right now it's around the equivalent of $3 per player each hour.

The client benefit package should add significant value to the services and reduce the effective drain on a client's budget. Most people who might hire me would probably afford the services easily though. It's not like I'm going to approach people with strained budgets.

I am working to make the gaming experience better than normal. I've been testing out lots of stuff since even before brainstorming for this. Memorization of rules and narrative as well as original artwork visual aids seem to make a profound difference. Deeper storylines and innovative combat design also seem to hit home. Also, the expanding menu of options will be important. The types of adventures I make available may possibly be key in grabbing both gamer and non-gamer clients.

Ok, you also mention pieces of art you have drawn up for the sessions. Care to post any of them up so we can see what sort of pictures you are planning on showing players?

Olaf the Stout

Ok, you also mention pieces of art you have drawn up for the sessions. Care to post any of them up so we can see what sort of pictures you are planning on showing players?

Right now one should be able to see a couple of my drawings faintly in the Gaming Materials album on my site's Photos page. I'll need to ink or xerox for better clarity in the photos. I'll post something easier to see later this week.

TODAY'S UPDATE

I've reduced prices one last time. There isn't going to be much profit from running game sessions alone unless multiple sessions on the same day are requested. Publishing the adventures and the professional storytelling, which has more real life support, will contribute most of the profit until the expansion plans are implemented (that's when the real money will come in).

With the May Special making it really cheap to hire for just one session, whatever sessions I run this month will be about establishing regular clientele and gaining recommendations.

If I can nail client discounts for food at restaurants and delis, I will also reduce my own costs for food as well since I also get to use the discounts. I'll be concentrating on client benefits in Manhattan since most of my potential clientele will probably be from or work in that borough and it's pretty much the city center. Bakeries, coffee shops, chocolatiers and candy shops are also on my list, then perhaps the game stores or toy stores.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
It's not per hour. It's a flat fee for the whole session.

Right now it's around the equivalent of $3 per player each hour.

At the time we were polling Bullgrit your flat rates broke out to the equivalent of ~$16/hour per player. It's good to see that they've come down to a much more reasonable rate. At your current rates I would even be willing to give you a try. But you'd still have to provide an AMAZING service to keep me as a recurring customer.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I knew someone who went by the name Mikey Dave who made a profession of being a storyteller.

He did parties telling stories. He wrote a book about storytelling. He recorded a CD of storytelling. He was hired by Renaissance Faire to tell stories on stage. He eventually taught a class at a college on storytelling.

He passed away a few years ago, which was a tremendously sad event for the many people who loved him and his tales.

I think if you expanded into storytelling in general, you can make a career of it.

I'll see if I can dig up more information on my friend's career and his methods of breaking into it and bringing in money through storytelling.

aboyd

Explorer
Right now one should be able to see a couple of my drawings faintly in the Gaming Materials album on my site's Photos page.
His drawing is here:

http://storyteller-solutions.webs.com/Gaming Materials/PICT0302-1.jpg

It's hard to see, but I'd say it's competent. If he had a dozen of these (per game) to illustrate the main NPCs and/or structures (at least to get an idea of tactical advantage or layout), I'd consider it valuable. I wouldn't consider it highly valuable, because I think the drawings show him to be merely a passable artist. However, even passable artists are difficult to come by, so it has some small worth.

I've got to remind myself to ink or xerox my penciled stuff before putting up photos of it.

Ah well.

TODAY'S UPDATE

At the RPGA Meetup just a few hours ago, I got running LFR down to a 3 1/2 hour session. The gameplay felt like it went much smoother than last time, which lasted 4 1/2 hours. I've got a better feel for modules now. I think I may change the services to just the ones I've prepared for game days.

It's official. I've got my first client. The request is for a customized World of Darkness adventure with gritty realism, unspeakable horror and zombies.

Jack99

Adventurer
I passed the test from Reality Deviant Productions. I'm being offered a decent rate (2 cents a word) for a new writer. Once I get established from that I'll try the 2-4 page pdfs as well. By mid 2010, my writing should be in much greater demand.

AFAIK, 2 cents a word is about the normal (lowest) you can get in this business, unless you are an established name. But I am no expert.

On a side note, I was shocked by those numbers. A full 4e class runs about 12k words. Thats like $360. I do not know how much time a pro writer spends writing a 4e class, but it would have to be insanely quick.

I am glad I do not have to live off this business :)

Good luck

Last edited:

P

PaulofCthulhu

You can make money at running roleplaying sessions, it's becoming more common in business training, but it's usually not to play D&D.

Follow the money - as mentioned, computer games companies could be a good target.

There are also (semi?) professional storytellers who work with young people. If you're good at telling stories that could be an option through schools - interactive storytelling as part of your English classes? (subject to all the usual checks we all go through etc.).

Heck if I were doing it, I'd be offering "Murder Mystery" party evenings - perhaps with a tentacular twist. :D - but I don't.

Roleplayers are quite parsimonious and already play the games, reach out to potentially receptive audiences who don't.

Remove ads