Magic Threshold?

Mercurius

Legend
On page 187 in the DMG "Magic Threshold" is mentioned in the section about designing NPCs. What is this? Where is it explained? I can't find it in the indexes of the DMG or PHB.

Ryujin

Legend
In checking old posts, it would appear that the "magic threshold" is a fudge factor that is used when creating NPCs and monsters, that takes into account bonuses that are already assumed to be present in the base creature. Simply apply them as a penalty to any magic defenses, attacks, etc. where stated, when you give a creature an item that the threshold would apply to.

Mercurius

Legend
Yeah, I saw the sidebar I just wasn't sure if it went into more depth elsewhere. I was worried that there was some kind of rule in which high mundane defenses override or cap magical defenses.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
It's just a fudge factor to make NPCs viable without loading them down with magical gear.

Or rather, it is the converse - it is a fudge factor so that you can equip NPCs/monsters with magical treasure without making them too powerful, as they are designed to be ballance vis-a-vis the PCs without such treasure.

Or in other words, it is a way to allow a GM to have NPCs actually using magical treasure (after all, if the goblin king has a magical axe, doesn't it make more sense to actually wield it than store it in a box) without breaking the math behind the game.

DracoSuave

First Post
Actually it's both, so that an NPC can go around without magic treasure without being gimped by it -and- so that you can give an NPC a cool magic sword without munging the math into inconvenient territory.

Both are correct. :)

CapnZapp

Legend
4E NPC design allows you to not worry about having to gear out your NPCs - their attack and defense numbers doesn't rely on items.

But this means you can't just add +3 when you do give your Orc Chieftain a +3 Axe. To make the Orc not rely on items, it has already got a bonus to its stat consistent with average items for its level. Let's say this bonus is +2.

Thus, if you added the +3 for the Axe, you would really end up with a bonus of +5 (because of the underlying built-in +2 bonus), which is too much - it would make magic items too valuable for NPCs (essentially doubling the enhancement bonus).

You only want to add the part of the +3 that's not already added in.

Which, of course, is 3-2=1. So when you give the Orc the +3 Axe, you add +1 to attacks and damage.

Note that this number, 2, is the threshold number. I hope you now see why the DMG instructs you to deduct the threshhold number for the monster's level from any gear you hand out to NPCs. :)

PS. If you were to give the same +3 axe to a low-level town villager, that NPC is constructed with no magic bonus at all. Hence, the threshold number is 0. Hence, the axe would grant all of its +3 to attacks and damage for this NPC.

And finally, player characters. Like that villager, a PC (of any level) is built with no assumption of a magic item threshold. This is why when the party kills the Orcs, they get to add the full +3 to their own attack and damage stats!

Not as difficult as it might seem, I trust?! :)

Remove ads