RPTools -- Need Graphics and Mapping software for Wiimote Whiteboard Project

Bodhiwolff

First Post
After watching all of the cool videos of the wii-mote whiteboard projects, especially the new digital gaming table videos, I'm going to take the plungee and build a digital projection table for my group.

In case you're not aware of what I'm talking about, check out this video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8fTkXQ1tY0"]YouTube - Game Table Intro[/ame]

I'm quite impressed with RPTools and the rest of the software, but sadly RPTools doesn't really provide any of the graphics itself. I hear mention of some sort of 2.2 gig file of graphics over at the 'Apprentice GM' site, but it all appears to be split between various pieces of mapping software like Dundjinni and Campaign Cartographer 3.

I'm not familiar enough with the various mapping packages to make a decision. I want something that can create dungeon maps and outdoor maps as well, but has the capability to have pretty accessories like fireplaces, braziers, furniture, etc. Once the map is finished, I can import it into RPTools and use it there.

So I'm asking the Enworld Boards -- If I invest my time (and money) in one single piece of mapping software for creating maps, graphics, and a beautiful playing surface for my gamers to adventure on, what should it be? Free is best, cheap is better, but if something is truly exceptional I'm willing to spend cash.

What do you suggest?

Festivus

First Post
For Maptool, I usually just cut and paste PDF files of the dungeons I want to use. Not sure how good those would look scaled up however. The other thing I use is the graphics from the old WoTC mapping software (again, probably not up to snuff for your needs) but you can import the tiles right into maptool.

Dungeon Tile Mapper -- v1.2.0

Open the zip file from the downloadable and you will have graphics for sets 1-4 of dungeon tiles available for you to use.

Remove ads