Differences between Dragon Warriors?

So, this week I pulled down my old Corgi Books Dragon Warriors collection and made a character for my blog. While digging for a picture of the book cover (because I don't currently have a scanner), I discovered that Mongoose had recently re-issued the game - supposedly with some changes?

So, what's the difference between the classic Corgi Dragon Warriors and the new Mongoose Dragon Warriors? Is it worth my time in buying the new version? Are they compatible at heart?

fireinthedust

Explorer
While I'm unfamiliar with the earlier version of the game, ask yourself if the character sheet is the same one that you remember:
check out the advertisement here and one of the links is the sheet they've got for it. Also check the original authors vs. the ones for the current printing.

It looks like a simple system. Remember the Fabled Lands books that came out back in the day? This reminds me of that: Really simple sheet.

Maybe they just reprinted it, and it's likely that as my guess.

Bluenose

Adventurer
They're very similar. If you have the original books in decent condition you could play the new version with no problems. There are a few changes, with Knights and Barbarians getting extra abilities compared to their original presentation, a couple of spells I've seen change level, a few prices are different, and I think the Mystic has changed it's starting Health Points. If your original books are in good condition there isn't much change and little reason to buy new unless you want everything in one book.

Extra abilities for Knights and Barbarians is a good thing. Like most old-school fantasy games, the spellcasters really overshadow the martial characters in the late game. At least the spell list wasn't so extensive that they also overshadowed the one rogue class (the assassin) like they did in AD&D1 and 2.

I guess I'll have to score a copy.

Lancelot

Adventurer
Some differences in the new printings:

Main Rulebook - There is a new (and good) introductory module included. Minor changes to several classes. Elementalists got a significant boost by being able to channel raw elemental power as a magical attack (increases by level). Assassins get to select their skills from various pools, rather than automatically getting set powers at each level. An optional rules section which outlines minions (4e-esque), critical hits, permanent injuries and so forth. Far better organization of the rules in general.

Bestiary - This is kind of optional, as the new Main Rulebook has the basic stats for all the creatures in the back. However, there is a lot of fluff here... which is kind of nice for the DM.

Sleeping Gods - First module compilation. This hasn't changed much from the original modules (it covers all the modules released in the original books, except for the Elven Crystals and the Power of Darkness).

Elven Crystals - Second module compliation. This has changed a LOT. It may not seem obvious on the surface, but a ton of new background text has been added into the modules, and some encounters have changed significantly. The demon-lord Rimfax is made much more prominent as the "big bad" throughout all the modules. If you have any interest in running Elven Crystals (even if you stick with your "old" books), I'd consider picking this one up.

Power of Darkness (and any subsequent books) haven't been released yet. I'm hoping PoD gets the same update treatment that Elven Crystals received.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases