The 3 Core Books plus THIS ONE BOOK are all you can use to game--What's the one book?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Scout (Lvl 6)

Blog Entries

° Ignore joethelawyer

The 3 Core Books plus THIS ONE BOOK are all you can use to game--What's the one book?

I all you could use were the 3 core rulebooks and just this ONE book what would that one be?

Pick a specific book that exists, rather than saying a type of book.

Narrow it down and just pick one. Note: it doesn't even have to be a RPG book.

And tell us why you feel that way.

For me it is Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved Spell Treasury. I like it because the spells in there are so unique, in that they bring more to the game than just different ways to damage or tinker with stats and scores. Just by reading them I think of how my casters can be more creative, envisioning scenarios in which I can do the unexpected.
    Last edited by joethelawyer; Sunday, 17th May, 2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: to make it broader and more interesting

Lama (Lvl 13)

Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls!

° Ignore Jack99
    A Magic Medieval Society: Western Europe

A setting.

Whether my own or someone else's, and whether in actual book form or not, yep. . . a setting it has to be.

edit --- The OP has changed, so my answer must as well: One of my homebrew settings, then. No sourcebook, supplement or whatever should be chosen before a setting in which to run a campaign. At least, to my way of thinking, there's no alternative here. So again, a setting it has to be, and if I must choose a specific one. . . my most recent homebrew setting, as it's my favourite, and is working very well in actual play, best of all.
    Last edited by Aus_Snow; Sunday, 17th May, 2009 at 07:14 PM.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

° Ignore Aramax
    Adventures Vault,I gotta say its my favorite 4e book.I love the whetstones and the reagents especialy
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/12FlD7jjyKf9lXOKCL8aLo7Vdnv5iyTpphNOo7YiONeQ/edit

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Blog Entries

° Ignore Crothian
    Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies, and I wouldn't even need the three core books.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Somewhere in, or near, Washington D.C., USA
    Blog Entries

° Ignore fba827
    For a class-based RPG (such as D&D) then the extra book would be one with more class options. As a DM, I can create monsters and magic items, and continuously tweak them as needed. But coming up with new classes that see some playtesting/analysis and aren't just reskins of existing classes is harder to make up on my own. Because classes are not something I can tweak on my own during a campaign without it causing a bigger problem for the player of that class/feature/etc.

For a nonclass-based RPG, then the extra book would be one that presents more skills/feats/talents (whatever it is that the players get to pick for their abilities).

that'd be my own choice anyway.
    If you're bored and like to follow links provided by random strangers, check out my ENWorld Blog http://www.enworld.org/forum/blog.php?u=807
    It will have campaign logs and random thoughts...

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

° Ignore Aberzanzorax
    Ptolus.

I almost feel like I'm cheating with that one.

But a book that combines a setting and an adventure path across every level...yeah.

That or the Epic Level Handbook.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Blog Entries

° Ignore Mustrum_Ridcully
    For D&D 4, it might depend on whether I feel player or DM friendly. Adventurers Vault is certainly a good choice, since it contains material for every character. As a DM, Manual of the Planes or MM2 might contain the most interesting stuff for.
    Generally, I wouldn't pick a book but a DDI subscription, but that's clearly cheating.

In D&D 3, I think it would have to be PHB 2. It contains a few actually interesting (or should I say powerful) feats.

For Shadowrun 3.0, I think Magic in the Shadows would be my choice, since it adds a few integral rules to spellcasters. Though that's unfair to every non-mage that now don't get Bioware or cool weapons. (Arsenal and Man & Machine) I don't know about SR 4, it seems the core rule books is more complete there.

I am not sure how Arcana Evolved or Iron Heroes actually fit into this - are the variant PHBs plus the 3.x DMG and 3.x MM the standard assumption on what constituties the 3 core rulebooks? If yes, I am not sure what I'd really need for Arcana Evolved. Iron Heroes probably needs the Mastering Iron Heroes book or the monster book, since these contain villain classes and they make the DMs job considerably easier.
    Mustrum "Gummibńrchen helfen auch" Ridcully

Thoughts of the Arch Chancellor - My weblog on EN World
    - containing game related material, like: house rules, design theories, reviews, play reports, adventure ideas

Secret Member of <Think we would just hide our secret with a spoiler tag, eh?>

Humm would have to be 3.o FRCS that and the core what else does one need
    Remember kids whisky will not put out flaming mages ,but it will confuse the deathknight

"The Soul of D&D? It's rolling a natural 20 when you're down to 3 hit points and the cleric's on the floor and you're staring that sunnavabitch bugbear right in his bloodshot eye and holding the line just long enough to let the wizard unleash a fireball at the guards who are on their way, because they're all that stands between you, the Foozle and Glory." - WizarDru

Thank you Gary Gygax, for everything.

"Rock on, Paizo, for you rock mightily".- dragonlordofpoondari

Can I cheat and say DDI subscription for my book Hmm... If had to narrow it down to three books, I would say... PHB3 even though it isn't out yet, we know it has Psionics and I adore my Psionics so that one (plus hopefully will have Elan in it).
    Secret Member of... *blink, blink* Damn you amnesia!

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast