Gamerprinter's Map Emporeum

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I recall from the D&D 1e Dark Sun campaign setting, there was an animated dead giant beetle that was used as a tank of sorts. That was the inspiration for this Scarab Beetle Fighting Vehicle map, except this one has a flying mode... enjoy!

(All work done in 3D, except for the interior furnishings which are all beveled vector shapes done in Xara Designer Pro 9)

Michael

scarab-fighting-vehicle.png

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
As an aside, it looks like I will be doing tactical maps for the printed Tactical Guide that comes with a purchase of Activision Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. I am joining as the secondary illustrator on the project and be required to create 20 - 30 maps (and the pay is damn good too.) This is freelance only, but I am expected to fly out to Los Angelos to discuss with the authors, developers and editors at Activision and Sledgehammer. Since there is a new Call of Duty release each year, it looks for now like I'm a permanent 'freelance' member of the team for years to come. I might also get opportunities for doing maps for other game properties as well. So now I'm a video game cartographer too!

Not related, but I've been commissioned by FASA games to create the 3 deck vessel for an airship deck plan, for an upcoming product release for a new game, called 1879, I think.

So I've got me some work to do!

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Here's another and last sample map for the tutorial guide, a post-apocalyptic destroyed bridge - thought it might make a location for a crude port, or use the standing bridge piece in the river as a make-shift stronghold position. (And a rare map of mine where the water is not blue). Enjoy!

post-apoc-bridge.jpg

KismetRose

First Post
These maps are amazing! I can't wait to go through the whole thread of them.

I'd like to share the gamer printshop web site on my Facebook fan page but the order page doesn't load. Is it not available on purpose?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
These maps are amazing! I can't wait to go through the whole thread of them.

I'd like to share the gamer printshop web site on my Facebook fan page but the order page doesn't load. Is it not available on purpose?

The Ecommerce page were for maps already listed in my site of other publisher's maps, for the purposes of large format printing. I still offer large format printing services for individual maps, but that requires customers to send me an Email requesting the job, not using the Ecommerce page. I no longer offer the maps thru the Ecommerce page.

Actually if you want to promote my services, you're better off promoting my G+ page, as that is promoting what I do now, which is custom cartography, publishing a series of Map Tutorial Guides, and releasing map object sets and map sets.

Enjoy your journey thru my thread though!

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Another Gothic horror Map Object - Stone Gargoyle (all done in vector with bevels and shadows using Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 9)... Enjoy!

gargoyle.png

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Notice the beetle armored fighting vehicle I posted up thread? Someone on my G+ community suggested this might make an excellent Spelljammer ship, so inspired by that this is what I created this weekend...

The Gnollean Scarab Spelljammer Ship:

Crew deck (top to bottom, left to right): captain's bridge, captain's quarters, engineer's quarters. 2 Junior officers quarters for two (navigator, surgeon, gunnery and troop commanders), mustering hall (used for training, briefings, formations, etc.), armory, sick bay, barracks 1, galley/kitchen, barracks 2, latrine, and cargo bay.

Flight deck (top to bottom, left to right): forward ballista turret, brig cell 1, brig cell 2, flight operations center, flight and gun deck (ballistas on turret base), cargo bay door.

View with carapace open exposing the flight/gun deck.

View with carapace closed. Forward ballista turret can be seen.

That's it.

Oh the Gnolleans are an advanced imperial civilization of gnolls that have achieved spelljamming technology and seek to conquer the neighboring crystal spheres in their sector of Arcane Space. (A minor race trying to become a major one).

This ship walks on the surface of crystal spheres and is of the largest spelljamming ships (300 tons), the scout beetle vessels are not armed except for the pincers on front, but these can fly and walk as well. And after firing its weapons, for shipboard actions, this vessel is capable of grappling an opposing ship bring its pincers to bear and make for Gnollean warriors easily getting aboard the enemy vessel. These guys are an up-in-coming threat to be recognized among the other spelljamming nations.

Enjoy!

gnollian-scarab-carapace-closed-deck.jpggnollian-scarab-carapace-open-deck.jpggnollian-scarab-crew-deck.jpggnollian-scarab-flight-deck.jpg

Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I mentioned further up thread, my opportunity to do the maps for the upcoming Activision Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare guides by Prima. It seems I might also being doing the same thing for next spring's upcoming Destiny RPG MMO by Bungi. Since I don't play these console games to know, Destiny meant absolutely nothing to me, but I just spoke to a friend who is really into this stuff, and he gave me the skinny on Destiny. So potentially both Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Destiny RPG MMO will be the biggest and most profitable video game properties ever.

For a guy wondering how I could get my foot in the door to do cartography for the video game industry - I'm fully standing beyond the door now!

Remove ads