Converting Greyhawk monsters

Cleon

Legend
I'm a bit divided on this myself, though my gut instinct is that these should be pretty unique and therefore monsters. However, let's see what Shade thinks also.

Been trying to come up with a a nice name for its "release ooze" ability and the best I've come up with so far is "Oozing Demise", may I suggest:
Oozing Demise (Ex)
When a grayman is destroyed, the gray ooze trapped within its body is freed to attack as a full-strength creature, taking one round to crawl from the hole in the greyman's back.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hey, that's nice! These are kind of mean monsters; you think you kill it, then you have to deal with a blob of acidic goop.

Actually, should damage to greyman (grayman? greyfolk? :p) damage the ooze at all? I can't remember what we did in similar cases before.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I definitely prefer these as a monster. Advancement to Larger sizes should cover conversion of an ogre or giant into one.

"Oozing demise"...love it!

Ooze should not be hurt by damage to grayman. I picture it similar to swallow whole...swallowed victims aren't subject to attacks on the swallowing creature.

freyar

Man, every time I see an ooze's acid attack, I get confused: they can dissolve weapons instantly, but take full round contact to deal damage to an object. :confused:

Shade, if you can do homebrewing today, let's note that the grafted short swords are immune to the grayman's acid. Time for skills and feats? I'm thinking probably Spot and/or Listen. Maybe Weapon Focus and Power Attack?

Cleon

Legend
Hey, that's nice! These are kind of mean monsters; you think you kill it, then you have to deal with a blob of acidic goop.

Actually, should damage to greyman (grayman? greyfolk? :p) damage the ooze at all? I can't remember what we did in similar cases before.

I agree with Shade, no damage to the ooze inside.

I considered suggesting having "spillover" damage beyond what destroys the grayman (or maybe beyond the -10 hp point that would kill it if it were alive) carrying over to the ooze, but it seems more trouble than its worth.

Cleon

Legend
Man, every time I see an ooze's acid attack, I get confused: they can dissolve weapons instantly, but take full round contact to deal damage to an object. :confused:

You and me both, that's why I'd prefer gray oozes doing 10+ points of acid damage to weapons that hit them, but it was not how the SRD went.

Shade, if you can do homebrewing today, let's note that the grafted short swords are immune to the grayman's acid. Time for skills and feats? I'm thinking probably Spot and/or Listen. Maybe Weapon Focus and Power Attack?

I'd be tempted to just go Spot, or maybe put most of the points in Spot. Its got so few skill points and no Wisdom bonus it'll be better off with one semi-decent skill.

So, either Spot +6 or Listen +2 and Spot +4?

Oh, and I'd rather call its Attack(s) a "swordarm" instead of a "grafted shortsword", just because I appreciate a pun.:p

Weapon Focus (swordarm) works for me, but Power Attack seems a bit dull, we often end up sticking our monsters with Power Attack. Can anyone come up with any interesting or appropriate alternatives, Blind-Fight? Lightning Reflexes?

Shade

Monster Junkie
You know, we could give them blindsight, since the ooze within has it. That would make the need for Spot/Listen moot.

Cleon

Legend
You know, we could give them blindsight, since the ooze within has it. That would make the need for Spot/Listen moot.

That's a curious coincidence, I was just thinking of giving them blindsense since the senses of the ooze within are somewhat obscured by the (ex)human meat around it.

Say, Blindsense 30 feet?

Since its acid was originally half a gray ooze's strength it seems symmetrical to say its ability to sense without seeing is half the ooze's as well.

freyar

Maybe Pathfinder will fix the ooze acid.

Blindsense is ok by me, but we could do blindsight if there's enough call for it. Blindsight would negate the need for Blind Fight, but Lightning Reflexes is always good.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I like blindsense. Alternatively, if they do have blindsight, the ooze should be seeping through the eye sockets of the corpse-y shell.

Remove ads