Beast Master Ranger Companion Question

kdogg3403

First Post
I'm playing a beast master ranger with a wolf companion. We were in a situation the other day where I wanted to use my wolf to track some hobgoblins. What's the best way to have the wolf attempt to track something? The only skills the wolf has are perception and endurance.

Would I have to roll for the wolf to see if it passed the check? How would that even work? I couldn't really find anything in the any of the books that would explain that. I would think since it being a wolf it should be considerably better at tracking something than even I would, as a ranger.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Would I have to roll for the wolf to see if it passed the check? How would that even work? I couldn't really find anything in the any of the books that would explain that. I would think since it being a wolf it should be considerably better at tracking something than even I would, as a ranger.

Perception should be the skill for tracking. Although, as heroes, the wolf is likely just as good or worse than you at tracking. Keep in mind, D&D characters aren't really "normal" anymore. Even at low levels expect them to do the impossible. Which includes looking at the ground and seeing tracks left behind that are almost impossible to detect.

Also, try not to think in terms of what "would" or "should" happen. In this case, have the player make a Perception check for his wolf to track the same way you would anyone else.

DracoSuave

First Post
The wolf is trained in the skill, so obviously, he can use the skill's trained uses. That includes tracking.

So, you have a few options.

1) Ranger does the tracking, wolf assists
2) Wolf does the tracking, ranger assists
3) Wolf does all the tracking alone
4) Ranger does all the tracking alone
5) The Avenger does the tracking in frustration while waiting for the Ranger and the wolf to make up their mind on this.

In the end, the question should be 'What do -you- think is awesome, Ranger?'. Then do that. Let the player make the decision--that way he can be blamed for it take credit when the plan goes well poorly.

The system works the same in each case, tho dramatic possibility changes depending on what the Ranger/wolf finds, of course.

Remove ads