Road to Revolution by 0one games

Sordath

Explorer
I spotted this adventure path and I was thinking of picking it up.

Anyone here run/played any of these adventures (or other 0one products)?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

It is, all of it, very, very good.

To be fair and honest, I've read them and not played/dm'ed them.

However, I'm usually pretty spot on for dming and reading and my assessments for what my players will like and won't has been good so far.

I have the first two adventures and "the bloody fix" which is by 0one, but not part of the adventure path.

I'm planning to buy (this month, and sight unseen, but based upon the quality of what I've seen so far) the Great City setting and the rest of the AP stuff.

It's not just "the best of what is out there for 3e right now". It's among the best I've seen for 3e ever, and I'm a rabid fan.

I'd put it/them up there with the Necromancer Games adventures (some of my favorites) as well as a few gems from Monkeygod and Hogshead.

To give an even clearer picture, I've been buying 3e stuff for the past year, plus (since 4e was announced and 3e stuff got cheap). The only products I've been truly excited about are these, Wolfgang Baur's Open Design Products, the War of the Burning Sky Compilation, Razor Coast (date of release to be determined), and the latest Pathfinder AP. Everything else has been good enough to buy, but not scintillating in my opinion.

My advice: buy a pdf of one of them to figure out if it is something you like. If so, buy the rest.

A warning: some of the very earliest materials are not the most well edited in terms of grammar, as the editor (?) is italian and translated from english to italian to english again...resulting in some peculiar grammar in a few places. This is irritating only to english majors and editors, and I find it excusable now that I know why it is so. This is not the case for later products (like the adventure path).

I hope you check it out and enjoy it as much as I (clearly) do!

kitsune9

Adventurer
I spotted this adventure path and I was thinking of picking it up.

Anyone here run/played any of these adventures (or other 0one products)?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I haven't read their material, but I've bought dozens of their maps and find them awesome. My next campaign will have spotlight their Under the Mountain as side adventure stuff.

GlassJaw

Hero
I'm really interested in the Great City and the Road to Revolution AP. Is there a place to read a synopsis of the AP? I checked out the 0one site but the details are rather light.

knihi

First Post
Hey all,

My name's Lou, and I'm one of the author's on the Great City Campaign Setting and Urban Adventure's AP (Bloody Fix and Puncture the Blackened Vein -- it's Pound of Flesh by Tim Hitchcock that is not part of the AP). So, obviously, I'm biased, but if I can answer any questions, I'd be happy to do so.

Fire away!

- Lou Agresta

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'm really interested in the Great City and the Road to Revolution AP. Is there a place to read a synopsis of the AP? I checked out the 0one site but the details are rather light.

I've not read the AP, but the Great City setting and corresponding blueprints will play a large role in my S&W campaign. It's one of the better city settings that I've seen for a long time. I was holding out for the Rolemaster version, but that appears to have petered out. :.-(

knihi

First Post

Yeah, it's tough GlassJaw. You'd have to read the short on the back of each to piece it together. Here's what I think are some key points that might help you decide if its for you.

The GCCS is specifically written as a plug in city, so the surrounding areas (other than water to the left and mountains with monsters to the right and dungeons under the mountain) are deliberately vague. The key part of the city is that its been conquered by an overseas empire -- twice. The last time was 30 years ago, and resentments simmer, but are not presently aboil. The conquerors themselves are divided and playing factional politics. It's kind of a law-practical-serious-people conquer a chaotic-lively-deep rooted people sort of thing. Then there are the peoples left behind by the first occupation who did what they needed to survive. The Emperor's son rules, and he's a jacka$$. Nothing is in the open, but everything teeters on an edge. This is so (1) there's always lots of action and passion, the PCs can interact with and stances to either adopt or dispute and (2) the PCs get to decide which direction -- or none -- the whole thing topples.

And that's what the AP focuses on. A revolution in the Great city by one of multiple factions -- or no revolution. The AP was specifically written to allow the PCs to be the deciding factor in the Great City's ultimate fate. The PCs can be evil, good, aligned with the conquerors, aligned with the conquered, aligned with a faction of either conquerors or conquered -- or totally out for themselves. They could save the day for the current rulers, wind up running the entire city themselves, or burn the whole shebang to the ground. That made the AP a little tricky to write, but I think we pulled it off. Hitchcock kept his mad-genius eye on it!

Flavor-wise, we let a bit of the Renaissance creep in. While there are no flintlocks or such in the Great City, it wouldn't be out of the pale for you to introduce them if that's your thang. As written its core is solid sword-fantasy, but we did tap some post-mideaval historical analogs as inspiration when exploring the conquered people and revolution themes.

Ok. Lots of words. Author will shut up now. Does that help?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases