Dryad symbiosis

gpetruc

First Post
Looking in the MM I noticed that the Symbiosis is a supernatural ability.
My question is: and what happens if a dryad gets into an antimagic shell or dead magic area ?
1) she can't; she disappears and reappears near the tree (like if she was simply an avatar of the tree spirit)
2) she suffers the same effects as if she was far away from the tree because the link with the tree is negated
3) she is free from the link and can go wherever she wants with no penalities (as long as all supernatural abilities are negated)
4) everything works as normal.

And if I polimorph the dryad in something else ? she would lose the supernatural ability (and thus the symbiosis) ?
If I polimorph a dryad in a dryad (that is allowed with poly other) she simply loses all supernatural abilities. What will happen then ?

I hope someone could give me the answer of this questions.

Thanks

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I don't think there's a definite rule for this. In light of my mythological understanding of Dryads, though, I think #1 is appropriate. The dryad is the spirit of a tree (or the daughter of the tree spirit). As such, she's an inherently supernatural creature and can't manifest within an anti-magic field.

gpetruc said:
Looking in the MM I noticed that the Symbiosis is a supernatural ability.
My question is: and what happens if a dryad gets into an antimagic shell or dead magic area ?
1) she can't; she disappears and reappears near the tree (like if she was simply an avatar of the tree spirit)
2) she suffers the same effects as if she was far away from the tree because the link with the tree is negated
3) she is free from the link and can go wherever she wants with no penalities (as long as all supernatural abilities are negated)
4) everything works as normal.

And if I polimorph the dryad in something else ? she would lose the supernatural ability (and thus the symbiosis) ?
If I polimorph a dryad in a dryad (that is allowed with poly other) she simply loses all supernatural abilities. What will happen then ?

I hope someone could give me the answer of this questions.

Thanks

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Re: Re: Dryad symbiosis

Elder-Basilisk said:
I don't think there's a definite rule for this. In light of my mythological understanding of Dryads, though, I think #1 is appropriate. The dryad is the spirit of a tree (or the daughter of the tree spirit). As such, she's an inherently supernatural creature and can't manifest within an anti-magic field.

Nah. Elementals and golems are free to act in an antimagic field, so I have trouble seeing this one.

2 and 3 look most reasonable; I *think* I'd go with 2.

Too bad there aren't more abilities than just Ex, Su and Sp - eg natural, inherent, etc.

I think it should be supernatural (since it involves magical energy) but it shouldn't go away in an antimagic field. #2 looks reasonable as well (stay away from dead magic zones).

gpetruc

First Post
I've thinked another bit about the problem
Probably I'd go for #2 in the case of antimagic, and for option #4 in the case of polimorph

Also: suppose I want a dryad to go around, what should I do ?
Can I animate the oak they are bond to (maybe through awaken and then poly any object him into a treant) ?
Or find some way to have the range of the symbiotic link extend much more (such as many miles?) through some magical item ? (an item composed by two parts; one brought by the dryad and the other buried in the ground near the roots of the oak ?

Remove ads