Psion augmentations - one use only?

LaserWolf

First Post
Simple question, but I'd like to double-check.

When you spend power points to augment a psion power it is only augmented for that use of the power, right? Say, for example, you spend two power points to augment a power and use it. You then spend an action point and use the same power. Is the power unaugmented for the second use?

Just looking at the mechanics, that seems like how it would work (effectively the equivalent of one encounter power), but some of the text in the psion article has me second-guessing. See, for example:

When a racial trait grants you an at-will attack power of your choice and you choose an augmentable at-will attack power, the power loses its augmentations. However, the power does not lose the augmentable keyword. This means the power is unaugmented when you use it, unless you augment it by some other means.
How could a power lose its augmentations if it only gains them while you're spending points? That text suggests to me that an augmented power continues to be augmented until the end of the encounter. There is no decisive text supporting one interpretation or the other in the article. Can you guys help?

abyssaldeath

First Post
Every time you use an at-will you have to spend points if you want to augment it. So, in your example if you use an action point you can spend more points to augment the second use of the power.

The exception to augmenting at-wills are for Racial traits like the Human trait that gives him an extra at-will. The at-will he picks for that trait is unaugmentable.

LaserWolf

First Post
Ahhhh I understand the text now. A Half-Elf Warlock that decides (for some reason) to take a Psion at-will as his Dilettante power would not have access to the augmentations normally available to a Psion. He could, perhaps through a feat, augment the power in some other way, though.

That clears things up immensely. Thanks much!

Remove ads