Free initiative tracker for iPhone and iPod Touch

Brasswatchman

First Post
Free web application to help gamemasters organize initiative in combat through an iPhone, iPod Touch, mobile device or netbook is now available. For the standard version, click here:

Tinwatchman Initiative Tracker | free rpg initiative tracker application

For a version specifically optimized for the iPhone and iPod Touch, click here:

Tinwatchman Initiative Tracker for iPhone and iPod Touch | free rpg initiative tracker application for the iphone and the ipod touch

Comments and feedback appreciated. Hope you enjoy!

This is a solid little web app! Snappy on a good wifi connection on an iPhone 3G, but not sure how it'll hold up in an area with spotty net coverage or wimpy cell service (given that it's AT&T, that's most places).

The layout is pretty intuitive, and assuming a good net connection during a game, could fairly easily be used at the table to speed some things up.

Brasswatchman

First Post
(Incidentally, would be very interested to find out how or if the app works on other mobile devices, such as on an Android phone. Please feel free to contact me if you have the ability to try it out.)

dvorak

First Post
grindsmygears.jpg

Sitting down at a gaming ready to engage those orcs and your companions are busy with their hand-held device to even notice it is THEIR TURN so encounters take an extra 60 minutes to resolve.

The application is called EXCEL and no sir I do not need your finely link clickie advertisement.

But come on, three bumps of your thread to force it to the top of the list. That really grinds my gears.

Brasswatchman

First Post
But come on, three bumps of your thread to force it to the top of the list. That really grinds my gears.

Sorry. Like I said, I've been wanting to hear how it does on handheld platforms other than the iPhone. Guess I got carried away.

Sitting down at a gaming ready to engage those orcs and your companions are busy with their hand-held device to even notice it is THEIR TURN so encounters take an extra 60 minutes to resolve.

(shrug) To each his own. Just figured people would be interested, that's all.

The application is called EXCEL and no sir I do not need your finely link clickie advertisement.

Fair enough. I don't believe Excel runs on an iPhone, though. It also generally isn't free.

Last edited:

bh2

First Post
This app seems fine, if a little basic. I'd like to see conditions and monster hp being supported to be more useful to a dm. That would go a long way in helping its usefulness.

Also, its a little fiddly as far as looking and feeling like an iphone app/webservice. Having to rezoom the interface and only 'widescreen' view kinda sucks.

Brasswatchman

First Post
This app seems fine, if a little basic. I'd like to see conditions and monster hp being supported to be more useful to a dm. That would go a long way in helping its usefulness.

Also, its a little fiddly as far as looking and feeling like an iphone app/webservice. Having to rezoom the interface and only 'widescreen' view kinda sucks.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. The only thing I can say about the second issue for the moment is to try loading the page while in 'widescreen' view. That generally gets everything set up correctly.

sfedi

First Post

Usability: too many steps for too little: to simpli add a text and a number I must: click, understand a new screen, focus on the initiative field, focus on the text field, press Roll and then Add.
It would be MUCH more clear, fast and intuitive to "Add monster" and have it go directly on the list, and edit the numbers and text there

Visually it has several problems:

Clutter: too many stuff on the screen.

Layout: The buttons are on the left, which is the first spot you go to read, and you want to first read the data you want: the monsters and the initiative.

Readability: The buttons are larger than the relevant data, you can't turn you monitor to evryone at the table to see, the letter size is too small

Hope this helps.

Remove ads