Daunton's Dead Shadow (DM:Ukingsken, Judge:????)

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Grakk is awesome. :) Sorry for the delay; I was all set to get this combat started, until I realized I only had the demon's stats on my home computer! It will have to wait a few more hours.
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Let's get it on!

Grakk's howl of challenge is still echoing through the room when his foot comes down on the other side of the magic circle. There is a flash of light, a whiff of ozone, and the circle is broken. Before Grakk's next step is complete, several things happen.

Vrrsk't, vigilant and ready, calls down the power of the Sky Dragon, marking the demon as his rightful foe.

The demon ignores the paladin. It takes one long step and brings its huge hammer down with a sickening popping sound on Varonus' chest, which bursts like an overripe melon. The would-be demon summoner drops, lifeless. Apoli's power flashes around the demon in retribution for ignoring a paladin's challenge.

As Grakk approaches, the bloodied hammer reverses its arc, quicker than humanly possible, and glances off Grakk's shoulder, leaving a large purple bruise but not stopping the charging barbarian.

Grakk's sword lands with a sickening thud on the demon's shoulder, opening a deep gash that bleeds pungent yellow ichor that smokes when it hits the floor.

[sblock=ooc]Regarding readying actions for when the circle is breached: Yes, but the demon gets to ready actions for that condition, too. Which ones go first? We'll let initiative decide that:

Initiatives:
18 Demon
3 Grakk
21 Vrrsk't
18 Morvannon
18 Vixo
16 Kamotz
7 Magnus

Initiative modifier is the tiebreaker, so Vrrsk't and Vixo go before the demon, everyone else goes after. Since Vixo didn't ready anything, it's just Vrrsk't in this case.

When Grakk breaks the circle, Vrrsk't's readied divine challenge fires, marking the demon.

Then the demon's readied action fires. It charges Varonus, 14 vs. AC hits for 14 damage, killing him. Splat! The demon takes 6 damage from divine challenge.

Grakk's charge continues. The demon gets an OA: it has threatening reach. 22 vs. AC hits for 7 damage, and Grakk is marked (tent Demon)

Grakk's charge finally reaches the demon. It hits for 33 damage. Grakk is raging.

Everyone except Grakk is up. We'll go with the loose initiative order that's all the rage these days; actions happen in the order posted, roll your own OAs if you provoke them, yadda yadda. Refer to the monster stats block below.
[/sblock]

[sblock=status and initiative]
Vrrsk't 35/35 HP, 12/12 surges <== You're up
Vixo 33/33 HP, 9/9 surges
Kamotz 31/31 HP, 9/9 surges
Morvannon 32/32 HP, 8/8 surges
Magnus 29/29 HP, 8/8 surges
Demon 193/232 HP, marked by Vrrsk't with DC
Grakk 26/33 HP, 12/12 surges, raging, marked (tent D)

Resources used:
  • Grakk: Bloodhunt rage
[/sblock]

[sblock=Monster stats]
Big Ol' Demon: HP 232. AC 20, Fort 20, Ref 18, Will 16
Melee basic attack: Reach 2 (threatening reach): +11 vs. AC, 1d10+4 damage and the target is marked (tent Demon)
[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
circle02.png

[/sblock]

RedBeardJim

First Post
Morvannon moves quickly to slide behind Vrrsk't, waving a hand as he moves to send arcane symbols flaring green on the demon's hide. As cool shadows envelop him, he sends a greenish-purple bolt of energy crackling towards the monster, slamming into its chest.

[sblock=Actions]Minor action: Warlock's Curse on the demon
Move Action: Move to B-8, gaining concealment from Shadow Walk
Standard Action: Cast Eldritch Blast against the demon, critting for 23 damage.
Edit: Damn, should have used encounter or daily instead. *sad*[/sblock]

[sblock="Mini stat"]Morvannon Rinael - Level 2 Half-Elf Warlock
Passive Perception:12, Passive Insight:19, Initiative:+1 Senses: Low-light
AC:16, Fortitude:13, Reflex:15, Will:16 -- Speed:6, Size: Medium
HP: 32/32, Bloodied 16, Surge Value 8, Surges left 8/8
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers -
Eldritch Blast
Eyebite
Warlock's Curse (minor)
Misty Step (Warlock Pact Boon)

Witchfire
Scorching Burst (Dilettante power)
Thunderwave (Arcane Initiate feat)
Caiphon's Leap (Utility)

Curse of the Dark Dream[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
Varonus! DAMN! Kamotz raises to full height, hackles extend as if he were being electrocuted, DEMON! Kamotz glances Magnus and Morvannon, What do you know about, Kamotz is interrupted by the meat-packing thud of the demon hitting Grakk, followed by the immediate and similar sound of Grakk hitting the demon.

[sblock=OOC]

Not taking my turn yet, but are some monster knowledge checks on the demon.

22 Religion
and
13 History
[/sblock]

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
Vrrsk't stalks around to the other side of the demon. "Prepare to taste the cleansing fire of Apoli." He unleashes a torrent of flame from his mouth, but the demon seems unaffected. "Then bask in the cleansing light of He Who Lights the World!" The sunburst device on Vrrsk't's shield glows brighter and brighter until it rivals the light of the sun. Vrrsk't stares down his foe, but forgets to actually point the shield toward it. A beam of energy shoots out in the direction of one of the bookshelves, causing it to explode dramatically.

[sblock=actions]
Move: to E9 (B5, B6, C7, D8, E9)
Minor: Dragon Breath FGH789
...1d20+7 vs Reflex (18) = 12 (miss! shocking, I know)
Standard: Sun Strike on Demon
...1d20+3 vs Reflex (18) = 4 (that's right, I linked my nat 1)

bah, was hoping to pull it to me so i could set up CA for Grakk if he shifted next round. Well, I'll shift in next round for melee.

glad to see the big guy is consistent. Shall I total defense for the rest of the fight, guys? Maybe I should look into dual-wielding shields. :D
[/sblock]

Oni

First Post
Magnus circled around the room toward the bookshelf before raising his staff. The keys tied to it jingled as he moved it in the now familiar circling motion. First there was a noise like breaking glass followed by the soft whoosh of countless razor sharp shards cycloning through the air. As that spell took hold Magnus glanced to the side of the room, holding out his left hand he gestured toward one of the braziers.

[sblock=ooc]

move: move to B6

standard: Cloud of Daggers: vs Ref [Target: H8] (1d20+6=17)
Force Damage (1d6+5=11)
Effect: The power’s area is filled with sharp daggers of force. Any creature that enters the area or starts its turn there takes force damage equal to Magnus' Wisdom modifier (3 Damage). The cloud remains in place until the end of Magnus' next turn. He can dispel it earlier as a minor action.

minor: mage hand on the brazier if its small enough, or as many hot coals as I can get away with if its not. Move them over the Demon and drop them. Damage isn't really the goal here, I just want to test for fire resistance.

[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
Without an answer quickly forthcoming, Kamotz rushes in to smite the Demon. Kamotz whipped his flail full round, the Demon reacted with the same speed as he had Grakk, breaking Kamotz arm and his momentum. Howling in pain Kamotz turns his howl into a holy thing, mending his arm and readying himself to unleash fury on the vicious Demon. It's really strong and fast!

[sblock=OOC]

Move I7

Opportunity attack by Big Ol' Demon 21 vs AC hits for 13 damage and and is marked TE demons NT.

Righteous Brand on Big Ol' Demon 13 vs AC for 12 damage MISS

weak...

minor Healing word on self regain 7+1d6+4=16, only regain 13. Kamotz now back to full health.

[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=Morvannon]Nice crit! Two things. I'm scratching my head trying to add up the damage for eldritch blast. Where does the +7 come from? I get +4 (Cha) and +1 (magic rod). What am I missing?

Also, you'll want to roll the extra 1d6 damage for a crit with a magic weapon.
[/sblock]

RedBeardJim

First Post
[sblock=covaithe]The other +2 is from the Bracers of the Perfect Shot, which give a +2 damage bonus to ranged basic attacks.

Thanks for the reminder about the extra damage from the crit! Sadly, I rolled a whopping 1 for the bonus damage. Whoo. *twirls finger*[/sblock]

Remove ads