Butcher, Stone, and Spenser

Jack7

First Post
Yesterday I saw on the internet a recorded interview with Jim Butcher (my current favorite author of modern fantasy).

During the interview the woman interviewing him asked who his favorite authors were (who he reads when writing). The first person he mentioned was Robert B. Parker. I well understand Butcher's inclinations. Parker is without a doubt the single best writer of crime fiction alive today. He reminds me of a cross (in all the good ways possible) of Raymond Chandler and Ernest Hemingway.

He's brilliant, and not just at crime fiction either. He's written some of the best Westerns I've ever read. There are a lot of things to like about Parker, but to me the bets is that his characters are obviously all men. (I don't mean all his characters are men, I mean all his male characters are actually men - not plastic, not artificial, not afraid to be men men, but real men.) His characters are throwbacks to the days when real men write real books about real men. He appeals to me as a man. To most all of the masculine qualities I associate as best in manhood. I don't know how to say it any better than that, but after I read his books I generally end up thinking to myself, "this is exactly the way a man should behave." It's a real shame so much of that has been lost in our culture (Western, and even American culture).

Now I like Westerns and Frontier works (which appeals to the Frontiersman/Explorer/Woodsman/Survivalist in me), and Military fiction (which appeals to that part of me interested in the military and in service), and Adventure works (ditto), and I like Mysteries and Vadding works (cause that's a big part of my nature, problem solving, sneaking about, infiltration), and Espionage works (double ditto). All of these things appeal to the man in me, and they all either interest, fascinate, or excite my nature. Doesn't matter if these kinds of things are fiction or non-fiction. It's all equally enticing to me. (Well, maybe non-fiction is more enticing, but the really best fiction is usually base don real life anyways, so it all works out eventually I reckon.) Cause that's the way I'm made.

Now sometimes my inclinations will swing in one direction or another. I might prefer a work on survival better than a Western at one moment, a Western being the best possible thing I can read the next. It sorta fluctuates from time to time with me, exactly what I like best to study or read, but that's about the gist of it. All of the things I mentioned tend to interest me, stimulate me, encourage me or provoke to have adventures of my own. I reckon I like danger a whole helluvah lot better than being bored. Then again I like pretty much anything a whole helluvah lot better than being bored. I'd rather be a stiff than be bored stiff. At least dead I'd be free to explore things again. Least ways I hope I will be.

Anywho, and all of that being what it is, I suppose that most of the time, and generally speaking, I prefer works on crime. I like to study crime, to work on my own cases (and I've had some good ones), to read about crime, and to read crime fiction (usually as much to see how others operate, even fictional characters, as the cases themselves - I'm always picking up "working and operational tips" from every source I can that to me seems worth pursuing).

Parker's works are first rate to me in this regard. The cases themselves are often very interesting, but to me it's watching his characters work that really excites me. And that I enjoy. (You know it's often been said that good work is it's own reward. That's certainly true. But good work is also a step into the future. A better one than not being good at what you do.) The way they work, their methods of operation, what they do and just as importantly, (and I think most people overlook this when it comes to work against criminals) what they don't do, or what they do or don't do in order to break or bend the rules in order to try and achieve Justice. And Justice is far more important than the law. I'd rather see one instance of real Justice achieved than all mere efforts of the law ever undertaken. Of course, in the end, there's only one real kind of Justice, the kind that prevents bad things from happening in the first place. Everything else is really just catch-up, if that much. Justice should never be blind, and it should never be slow. It should always see farther, hear clearer, sense more cleanly, and anticipate more cleverly than anything else, so that it kills injustice before injustice can ever be born. Certainly before injustice can stand upright. Maybe I should write a play or something about that. Justice as the sleepless Nemesis who never stops hunting and thwarting rather than the senseless judge who is always trying to put the useless pieces back together again after it's far too late. After all you break it and you buy it even though it's already ruined, but you save it, and everybody's got a decent shot at enjoying it then. Well, that's for another time I suppose. I'd best get back to what I meant to say about Parker and his men.

Of his crime works two guys stand out to me. Stone and Spenser. (It also don't hurt much that both men are real dog lovers.) Now I really like Spenser. Didn't think I would when I first started reading him, but I've been through four books now and in everyone the guy appeals to me. I like to read how he works, try and guess what he'll do next, and in which way. I like the way he talks. He's clever. He's usually ahead of the competition. He's a helluvah good Dick. No doubt about that. I'm not sure if I had a buddy like Hawk I could always stand behind the guy. Fact is I'd probably bust him. But the friendship between Spenser and Hawk is admirable. I understand it, even if I personally couldn't stomach some of the things Hawk does or how he operates. But I do understand it. One other thing I really like about Spenser. I both admire and fully understand why he works alone. why he quit the Force and can't stand to be part of an organization. Been that way most of my life. As I've gotten older I reckon I've mellowed. Don't mind being part of an organization now. Don't mind having superiors. Don't always mind taking orders either. But by nature, and I've always been this way, even as a kid, I've always desired to work alone. I like working alone. Being a loner (in certain respects anyways). I suspect I'll always be that way too. For the most part. I'd much rather go undercover alone, with no-one really knowing exactly where I am or what I'm doing til I decide somebody needs to know. So I get that about Spenser. We're simpatico in that respect.

Stone, however, Jesse Stone. Well, he seems like a brother to me, only far closer to me than my real brothers. He tends to think like me, act like me, operate like me. I read the way he's working a case and I think to myself, "yup, that's pretty much exactly the way I'd work it." Some people, familiar with Stone, even tell me we sorta talk alike. Not in vocabulary so much as in mannerisms, and style. I suspect there's some truth in that. And like Spenser he's also a helluvah Dick. And a superb Chief of Police. He's more company man though than Spenser, but then again he operates outside of policy. Sometimes way outside of policy. I admire that. Really admire it. I've never thought much of organizational structure and policy just for the sake of organizational structure and policy. That kinda thing doesn't float me very far. I'd much rather run on my own wind, and tack my own course. What I like about Stone, really like about Stone, is the fact that he operates within the system but he ain't part of it. He's in it, solid to all appearances, but in all of the ways that count, he's really an outsider lookin in. In that way he's quintessentially American to me. In it, but not. Clan man, but ain't. Outsider. His own self. Enterprising. Frontiersman.

I also like the guys who operate with Stone. Captain Healy for instance always makes me laugh. He reminds me a lot of a guy I once knew. The one thing I don't like about Stone though is that he's a lush. He needs to kick that in the head and just be done with it. He carries the booze around like a dead albatross. One day it might get him killed.

(By the way, I see a lot of Stone in Butcher's Harry Dresden. I see now how Butcher took a lot of Dresden from Stone and Spenser. From Parker. I knew that sub-consciously I liked all three characters, for pretty much the same reason I reckon I like all such characters. They seem familiar and natural and similar to me. But I never really thought about how close they all were til I heard Butcher mention Parker as one of his big influences. Butcher and Parker don't write a lot alike, not at all. Parker is sparse, and sharp, externally oriented, and all craft. Butcher is wordy, and rambling, and articulate, and self-concerned. But their characters are pretty much the same guy wrapped in different mannerisms, and working along different tracks. Same Rome, different roads.)

Last Spenser book I read had Spenser operating near Paradise and Stone and Spenser actually working together. Overlapping on a case, so to speak. It was really interesting to me.

In any case I just want to say that I highly recommend Bob Parker and both the Stone and Spenser crime novels. If you like that kinda thing, then you'll like those guys. And if you don't then I'm not sure I can help that much. Nevertheless that's my story and I'm stickin it to ya.

Jack7

First Post
Croth, to me they can be read in any order you like.

A long time ago my old man tried to get me to watch Spenser for Hire. I was never big on TV or most TV Dicks. Not even Magnum. So I passed. Now I'm kinda curious how it was played, especially how Avery played Hawk.

Bout a year ago I stumbled across Jesse Stone played by Tom Selleck. One of my favorite actors. I liked the films so much I looked up the books. (Recommend the films a lot too. In some ways they're better than the books. Good weekend films if you're rained or snowed in. Or just in a melancholy mood. They're melancholy. But in a good way.)

Started reading the Stone books, but outta order. Didn't much matter, I had already seen most of the films and knew something about the characters. I had just started to read fiction again after a twenty year or more hiatus and couldn't believe how much I enjoyed em. Actually liked reading fiction again cause of Parker and Butcher and a few others.

Then while reading one of the Parker's books one day (Apaloosa I think) I remembered that I had seen Parker had written Spenser. I wasn't thrilled at the idea but liked Parker's other books so well I took to them as well. And was glad I did. (I actually listen to Spenser books on CD. Joe Mantegna does em, and well I might add.)

Read them outta order too though. Only books I've ever read in order by Parker are his Westerns, which are mighty fine in themselves. Mighty fine.

But yeah. You outta be able to down em any way you fancy.
Try em. I think you might like em.

Crothian

First Post
I never knew Spencer for Hire was based on a book. I was a fan of that show and Avery's Hawk was a great character though he was better as a side kick to Spencer on the TV show and it was not as good in the spin off series A Man called Hawk.

I have requested on of the earlier ones from my library. It is being shipped in from another branch but it is defiantly going on the to read list. This could be what I need to balance out my reading of the Modern Libraries 100 books everyone should read and the Dark Sun fantasy I've been going through.

Jack7

First Post
The very best Spenser I've read so far is the one I'm reading now. Cold Service. I'm not far in yet but it's awful good.

In it Hawk takes three rounds to the back from some Ukrainians (apparently they were at least the shooters) looking to make over the underworld racket in town. But so far it looks like orders are coming from elsewhere. Maybe even back in Eastern Europe.

Anywho Hawk is nearly killed and Spense has to help nurse him back to health then help Hawk track down those responsible and see if they can break up the operation that tried to put Hawk down. So far I'm suspicious of the people operating around Hawk, some of whom are apparently old buddies. He was apparently body-guarding a Ukrainian who was looking for protection but if you ask me it don't add the way the whole thing was played. It smells like a set piece to me. They've already chopped off the wedding finger and ring of one guy's mother so they could get him behind bars to shank him and put him down. You know what they say about old buddies in the racket. A friend when you're in need already knows too much about ya. Or put another way, "Under the weather means you're soon to be weathering under..." That's especially true when you're talking Eastern European mobs. They don't rate much of a half-life for the sick and injured.

I think they hit Hawk not as peripheral and collateral damage but because they figured he could score an eventual make on what was really going down and who was involved. In any case something smells pretty rank in this book. I guess it'll start to lay out as I get deeper in. Right now though it seems to me more is moving sideways than up and down.

Anyways, don't know what you fished out, but enjoy what you turn up.
I think you probably will.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Any day you learn something, you haven't wasted.

I just learned that Spenser for Hire was based on a series of books!

I (obviously) don't know how accurate it was, but Avery's portrayal of Hawk was one of my favorite aspects of the show. I really wished they had spun him off.

Wombat

First Post
I was kinda the opposite way around for quite some time -- I hadn't realized that Spenser and Hawk had landed on tv until they had gone off the air! ;) Ah, the wonders of not owning a television -- I miss when good things come along.

Yeah, Spenser and Hawk are fine, fine characters. :)

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I always like the Spenser TV series because of the Boston locale. It wasn't till years later I started to read the books (I think I borrowed one from my mom first). Since then, I"ve read every single Spenser novel. I've also enjoyed the A&E miniseries' they did a few years ago with Joe Mantangna as Spenser (he was excellent, but they kept changing actors for Hawk).

One thing you're leaving out of your analysis: Sonny Randell. She's Parker's female version of Spenser. The novels are really good, but amount to "Spenser in Drag." I do like them, and I understand Parker wrote them with the idea of getting Helen Hunt to play Randall on TV, which has yet to happen. Oh well, a man can dream. He has a fling with Jesse Stone in one novel.

I have to check out the Stone novels one day. Maybe this winter when I'm snowed in.

Jack7

First Post
You guys might not believe this but as I was reading Walking Shadow I went over Parker's other books. Turns out he actually co-wrote a book with Raymond Chandler. And he wrote a Philip Marlowe novel as well. I'm assuming by himself.

By the way, in Cold Service there was somebody behind the Ukrainians. Don't wanna spoil it so I won't say who, but I will say this: it was interesting.

I've also enjoyed the A&E miniseries' they did a few years ago with Joe Mantangna as Spenser (he was excellent, but they kept changing actors for Hawk).

I'd like to see that. He narrates the books on CD awful well.

One thing you're leaving out of your analysis: Sonny Randell.

I left her out cause i haven't read anything about her yet. I hope though she doesn't turn out to be just a Spenser in drag. You can tell Parker knows a whole lot about men. But I'm not sure he can pull off a woman.

He has a fling with Jesse Stone in one novel.

Who does? Spenser? I'm not sure I want em working that closely together. And yeah I'm just teasin ya. I know what ya meant.

In some of the Spenser books Spenser talks like he's had an affair with Randall too.

Remove ads