Converting True Dragons

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
How about nonlethal damage = 1/2 the usual breath weapon damage? Or do you prefer a damage/round mechanic?
What kind of duration do we want to give the faerie fire, and should it overcome higher level darkness spells?
Ref save to avoid, or just to negate damage or something?
Cone or spread? The original is slightly vague, and I think I prefer cone.

Cleon

Legend
How about nonlethal damage = 1/2 the usual breath weapon damage? Or do you prefer a damage/round mechanic?
What kind of duration do we want to give the faerie fire, and should it overcome higher level darkness spells?
Ref save to avoid, or just to negate damage or something?
Cone or spread? The original is slightly vague, and I think I prefer cone.

I was thinking half normal damage per round over 2 rounds, with a Reflex save to avoid the second round's damage and the fairy fire effect. The duration of the original was pretty long, so how about 1 minute per point of nonlethal damage rolled on the second attack?

Sylvan Flames - the second breath weapon is a [cone?] on supernatural flame that does nonlethal fire damage as indicated on the table. All affected creatures must succeed at a [Ref?] save with the indicated DC or by the eldritch flames will cling to them, taking the same amount of nonlethal fire damage the following round and glowing eerily (as per the spell faerie fire) for 1 minute per point of damage the second round of sylvan flames inflicts.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmmm, how about this revision to clarify it a bit?

Sylvan Flames - the second breath weapon is a cone] of supernatural flame that does nonlethal fire damage equal to half the amount of the lightning breath weapon. All affected creatures must succeed at a Reflex save or the eldritch flames will cling to them. The flames inflict the same dice of nonlethal fire damage the following round (on the dragon's turn) and glow eerily (as per the spell faerie fire) for 1 minute per point of damage the second round of sylvan flames inflicts.

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm, how about this revision to clarify it a bit?

Sylvan Flames - the second breath weapon is a cone] of supernatural flame that does nonlethal fire damage equal to half the amount of the lightning breath weapon. All affected creatures must succeed at a Reflex save or the eldritch flames will cling to them. The flames inflict the same dice of nonlethal fire damage the following round (on the dragon's turn) and glow eerily (as per the spell faerie fire) for 1 minute per point of damage the second round of sylvan flames inflicts.

It looks like it needs a bit of work, how about this:

Sylvan Flames - the second breath weapon is a cone of supernatural flame that does nonlethal fire damage equal to half the amount of the lightning breath weapon. All affected creatures must succeed at a Reflex save or the sylvan flames will cling to them. Clinging sylvan flames inflict the same dice of nonlethal fire damage the following round (on the dragon's initiative) and cause the affected creature to glow eerily (as per the spell faerie fire) for 1 minute per point of damage the second round of sylvan flames inflicts.

RavinRay

Explorer
That can work. There are dragons with breath weapons that have effects in succeeding rounds after the first, without having to use Metabreath feats.

Cleon

Legend
That can work. There are dragons with breath weapons that have effects in succeeding rounds after the first, without having to use Metabreath feats.

Yes, I think the Sylvan Breath is basically OK in the latest revision.

How much damage should the Auburn Dragon's breath weapon do?

Shade suggested using the Black Dragon's damage die for the lightning breath, i.e. 2d4 per age category. That makes sense to me, since they've got the same HD and Con. , It would mean the sylvan flame breath would do 1d4 per age category.

Shall I put that in the working draft?

Cleon

Legend
Go ahead then.

Done.

That looks about it for the stat-block.

So where were we on the breath weapon?

At the moment we have something like:

Breath Weapon (Su): An auburn dragon has two breath weapons, lightning and sylvan flames, as follows:
Lightning - The first breath weapon is a line of lightning doing electricity damage.
Sylvan Flames - the second breath weapon is a cone of supernatural flame that does nonlethal fire damage equal to half the amount of the lightning breath weapon. All affected creatures must succeed at a Reflex save or the sylvan flames will cling to them. Clinging sylvan flames inflict the same dice of nonlethal fire damage the following round (on the dragon's initiative) and cause the affected creature to glow eerily (as per the spell faerie fire) for 1 minute per point of damage the second round of sylvan flames inflicts.

Is that OK?

Remove ads