Goliath Warden Build Help

Thatwackyned

First Post
Hello, long time reader, first time poster on 4th ed forum.

The question i have is with my Warden build.

Goliath Warden level 1

17 (19)str, 16 (18)con, 10 dex, 10 wil, 10 int, 8 chr

My Daily is Willow Sentinal. The encounter ones I just took straight from the build example.

And my Feat is Imp Init as i want to be in place before the baddies attack.

The concept is to be that Mighty Roadblock to get to my squishy allies.

I understand that the Fighter is a better sticky defender, but I wanted to try the Warden.

Where should I go from level 1 to be the best Goliath Warden Defender?

Thanks.

RefinedBean

First Post
Caveat: I'm not really good at this.

You want to make sure that enemies can't get past you/away from you to attack your friends. The Warden's really good at that anyway, thankfully.

Random suggestions:

There's a feat that slows enemies on a successful OA. That way, they probably won't be able to get away from you that often.

As a Goliath, remember that you have an awesome chance of jumping crazy far. Sometimes it's best to take a few OAs and jump into a circle of enemies (over some heads even!) to get them all marked, and bring the pain on as many as possible.

On that note, maybe Defensive Mobility would be a good idea...if you're going to provoke OAs to get into good position, you want your AC as crazy high as possible.

As for powers, the ones the build suggest are good...stick with close bursts if you can, it'll help keep enemies attentions on you.

Also, have a good heavy thrown weapon on hand just in case someone DOES get away from you, you're immobilized, etc. etc.

Oh, and Primal Power will probably be quite useful for some racial feats for the Goliath.

Happy gaming!

mneme

Explorer
Where should I go from level 1 to be the best Goliath Warden Defender?

Hmm. It depends on what you want to do.

Are you thinking "tank" (eg, indomintable wall), or "reach/controlling warden"? A Goliath can excel at either, but they are quite different.

I'll recommend, for starters http://community.wizards.com/charop/wiki/Wardenhttp://community.wizards.com/charop/wiki/Warden, which has a lot of useful analysis.

Scraping slighty:

feats:
Sudden Roots: is fantastic. Suddenly, your oppys have serious teeth.
Mark of Warding: What do you give someone who throws marks like they're popcorn? This.
Weapon Expertise: Wardens like hitting things (effects on a hit do that).
Greatweapon prowess: the proficiency is pointless, but +2 to damage isn't bad (obviously, better if you're using a reach weapon).

I'd probably go for Nature's Abundance over Eyes of the Hawk -- a +10 to perception is neat, but your most important perception rolls are when you're not aware you need the bonus, and you're not going to have a high perception to begin with.

beyond that...well, it really depends on where you want to take your build.

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
That 17 strength could have been put to better use.

16 strength (+2 obv) then would free up enough points to put your Wisdom at 13. This is good because you want to Polearm Gamble with a Halbard (it's an axe too, goes well with your high con). Multiclass into Fighter, nothing too exciting here, you can put this off until paragon if you don't have feat room.

You'll want to be Stoneblessed at level 11, then go Eternal Defender at level 21. You will have a reach of 4, with utter control over a huge portion of the battlefield. What you can't mark, you'll simply knocketh down, control, pull, whatever you want. You will be a -beast- at marking.

Also, at some point, -every- Defender wants Weapon Proficiency: Tratnyr and a Grasping Tratnyr. Encounter power that pulls someone adjacent with a huge range? Yes. Yes please. You'll not need this at heroic, but eventually you are -going- to want this.

Thatwackyned

First Post
I need to be a sticky as possable. My companions are a Sorc/rogue, Warlock and Wizard. I need to be that "Wall".

ok.

Drop Str to 16 (18 with the +2 Goliath) and this frees up the 3 points to boost Wis to 13 for that Polearm Gamble with a Halbard.

Question: With that Halbard, I need 2 hands. Doesn't a lack of shield diminish my survivability?

DracoSuave

First Post
I need to be a sticky as possable. My companions are a Sorc/rogue, Warlock and Wizard. I need to be that "Wall".

ok.

Drop Str to 16 (18 with the +2 Goliath) and this frees up the 3 points to boost Wis to 13 for that Polearm Gamble with a Halbard.

Question: With that Halbard, I need 2 hands. Doesn't a lack of shield diminish my survivability?

Don't think of the -2 AC as killing your survivability. Think of it as an incentive for the enemy to -obey your mark.- You've got the most HPs in the game. Period. You're plenty survivable.

Think of it this way. Your reach will mean that you can start punishing enemies with your weapon at a larger and larger coverage of the field.

Destil

Explorer
You may want to consider toughness and some of the paragon/epic tier defense boosters at some point, if you're worried....

Thatwackyned

First Post
Getting this down.

My at will powers are: Warden's Fury, Warden's Grasp, Earth Shield Strike, Strength of Stone.

Encounter: Stone's Endurance, Thunder Ram Assult

Daily: Form of the Willow Sentinel - The reason is I want to be rooted to the ground. But with 3 squishies behind me, would the Form of the Winter Herold be better?

Last edited:

Remove ads