Whatever happened to the gods, anyways?

Rapida

First Post
But as it stands, I can't play a character with domains, because no god has them designated yet. So, I thought I'd try to stir up the discussion again.

These feats were never assigned to a god, but they're still available to players. I assumed domains were the same.
I don't think that was as universally understood as it could have been. That may be the best solution, just make sure everyone knows all they need is a convincing (or not so convincing) reason to have that domain feat.

Tomalak

First Post
1) If each character who can have domains gets to choose which ones, but must be approved individually, isn't that like making the majority of divine characters individual proposals? That seems like more work than codifying the sets now. It's also the major reason I think the gods should have specifics domain sets (though, why not approve multiple sets for each god?); because it's too much work to take each character individually.

2) I've hade Divine Power since it came out, and I never saw that line about only getting one Domain feat per use of a power. I don't know how I missed it. I also think it's inappropriate, as the other power types that have similar featsw don't have such a restriction.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
1) If each character who can have domains gets to choose which ones, but must be approved individually, isn't that like making the majority of divine characters individual proposals? That seems like more work than codifying the sets now. It's also the major reason I think the gods should have specifics domain sets (though, why not approve multiple sets for each god?); because it's too much work to take each character individually.

Just to clarify, I don't think they should need official proposals. I just want a reason for why the follower of Joven has the Undeath domain.

Mechanically I don't really like the multiple sets for each god. Say one sect of Apoli gives him Fate and another gives him Poison. Then someone who wants both Fate and Poison is out of luck.

2) I've hade Divine Power since it came out, and I never saw that line about only getting one Domain feat per use of a power. I don't know how I missed it. I also think it's inappropriate, as the other power types that have similar featsw don't have such a restriction.

Are the other at-will boosters of similar power levels? Getting Hand of Radiance up to (effectively) d12 damage seems pretty extreme. I don't know, myself. When I see "martial" my eyes glaze over, so I haven't looked closely at them. Also, maybe WotC decided that being able to repeatedly boost the same at-will was too good, so they're going to disallow it from here on out.

Theroc

First Post

Wouldn't this approval be occurring during the character approval/levelup approval process anyway? All you do is include a brief fluff explanation as to why you see X Priest of Y god with Z domains... and the judges review it with everything else.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Ok, finally caught up and gave this some thought. I think there's a few things that we need to keep in mind.

1. Realms/Portfolio does not equal domains. A gods portfolio indicates the area of being that a god claims power over and governance, or at least a little bit of responsibility or favor.

Domains are a mechanic. Just like a Chanel Divinity feat, they're a small boon that a god grants a mortal. A clear difference is that a domain is directly tied to the portfolio. There is certainly room for interpretation there.

Lets consider the Domain Destruction. Destruction can apply to many things. A god of sea, a god of magic, or a god of weather, may not be angry, evil, or chaotic but all might grant the domain of destruction as it ties to their portfolio.

This makes it easy for new players to justify a large combination of domains without having to against established fluff.

2. The gods are our own.

There is no Zeus in Daunton. Joven is. Just because Joven is based on Zeus doesn't mean anything that applies to Zeus applies to Joven. If we need to fit an aspect somewhere, it just has to make sense to us, not whats established in real world myth.

3. Exarchs. There are a number of demigods. They have not yet been written. There are also old gods, that are worshipped that have not yet been written. This to me seems to be a good arguement to not assigning domains. Anytime one of these beings comes up later there would have to be a discussion, and sooner or later we're going to be measuring straws, and trying to make sure the North has the same number of states as the South. And where did that get us? Maine. . . It got us Maine.

If for some reason, a player wanted to worship a god, and really wanted a domain that seemed to go against something established, that player can use an Exarch. One of the many Demigods, who we know are out there, that happens to work with the established god.

There was a 4, but I forget.

So lets look at Ozy proposed domains versus whats been established in Daunton and Imperia.

Joven/Deios
Portfolio: Weather, the skies, minotaurs, mountains, swans, pride, hurricane, tornados, power, eagles, bulls, oaks, wizards

Joven is a passionate, stubborn and lusty god; the Kronos' first born and probably the most powerful of the gods. The wind and sky are his elements and storms show his temper. He was more reasoned before the birth of Mireva; a goddess in her own right. Now he is often presented as uncontrollable when his temper rises.

* Joven's Clerics often have the Channel Divinity feat: Ioun's Poise which they sometimes call Will of the Sky Lord

The god of kings. He governs the sky, the thunder and lightning. The eagle is his symbol, as it is one of the symbols of the Imperium. He is said to have defeated the Primordials and brought peace to the Cosmos. He also has a somewhat tyrannical and capricious aspect too, and storms are often explained as a manifestation of his anger.

Suggestions: I think we should steer away from realms (which I use as a term for individual aspects of a portfolio) that have less to do with greater abilities and have more to do with individual stories of the gods things are based on, that are not part of our own mythology.

In this vein I would remove swans, bulls, oaks, wizards and perhaps even minotaurs. Now if someone later rights up a legend that connects Joven to one of these things, then lets add it in, but we do not need unexplained filler.

I can see the connection between wizards and the power and scope of power that Joven wields. That seems more like an indirect reason why wizards might worship Joven.

I think the idea of a god of magic, or a god who favors arcane casters, is appealing to allot of players, and we should consider adding it directly to someones description and giving it a reason. At the moment Joven has allot though.

I would add governance, or authority to the portfolio.

Juna/Erath
Portfolio: peacock, scales, goliaths, marriage, laws, rules, home, women, guards, order, balance, coins

Juna is Joven's twin sister, born only a minute later. Determined to outshine her brother she is in some ways his opposite, in others his complement and in every way his equal competitor. She is slightly less powerful, but more focused and dedicated; sometimes fables present her as simplistic. She is the cold determined face of order and justice and often presented as a proud beautiful woman. Her priests are often lawgivers and her church is strongest in cities and urban areas.
* Juna's Clerics often have the Channel Divinity feat: Sehaine's Reversal which they sometimes call Juna's Reversal

Bride of Deiòs, goddess of queens and priestesses. She watches upon the order, both in the family and the State. Keeper of traditions, she's also referred to as the goddess of righteous revenge.

Suggestions: I would remove peacock as it seems minor and unestablished. I would remove scales as it seems more like a symbol.

I would add fertility or birth.

Lauto/Hadeys
Portfolio: the dead, death, warforged, banks, mining, minerals, dogs, domestical animals, loans, hoards, marriage, burials, history

Lauto is said to live within a great cube of force.

* Lauto's Clerics often have the Channel Divinity feat: Raven Queen's Blessing which they sometimes call Lauto's Reward (for he is generous with those who fill his coffers with souls)

The keeper of the dead. His name is not spoken least it brings misfortune to those who utter it. He is said to dwell and rule in the Shadowlands. He is also the god of merchants, taxation and commerce and games of chance and wagering.

His priests are powerful and usurious but sometimes the only place you can go for a loan of coin when you need it. Coins are placed on the eyes of the dead to pacify him/pay his boatkeeper. He allows the dead to be raised -- they will eventually join the ranks of the dead -- and Hadeys can't resist the chance to be paid twice for the same thing.

Hadeys financial proclivities explain why the dead are often buried with wealth (a better position in the underworld is available to those who can meet his price), why undead are so frequently used to protect tombs (Hadeys believes you have to use your resources to protect your resources); and why such elaborate traps are included on tombs (wealth being a "down payment" on a "good space in the-land-of-the-dead" then the loss of that payment might mean (or people might fear) that the deceased would lose their cushy spot in the afterlife).
Hadeys's love of gambling and chance mean that he's indulgent of tomb-robbers, he loves the oppprotunity to make a good wager (provided their sufficiently respectful of course).

Suggestions: Remove dogs and domesticated animals as they are minot and unestablished.

Add luck, gambling, and something regarding traps. Perhaps engineering.

Nerati/Poseeydus
Portfolio: Dragonborns, seas, horses, earthquakes, ships, exploring, sailors, traveling by sea, tsunamis

Ruler of the shifts, Seas and great Lakes, he has influence over the winds, sea travels, and waterbound beasts. Tempremental and mighty, ocean-going voyagers are wise to sacrifice to him before setting sail. His priesthood is small but rabid and have declared the shifting seas to be sacred to him; encouraging pilgrimages to demonstrate humility before his whims. Appearing to different races and cultures in different guises, Netari is said to have fathered many species both large and small. For example, it was an Avatar of Netari that had created the Race of lightning breathing Blue Dragonborn on Allaria, guiding them as a Diety for centuries in the form of a Ancient Blue Dragon. Although the kingdom built by these Dragonborn on Allaria has been destroyed some remanance of the faithful remain to oppose the Unending Mire. They wear the old symbol of the Blue Dragon cult (a green dragon head on a blue disk), and will stop at nothing to thwart the plots of the Mire.

* Netari's Clerics often have the Channel Divinity feat: Melora's Tide which they sometimes call Tide of Netari

Ruler of the shifts, Seas and great Lakes, he has influence over the winds, sea travels, and waterbound beasts. He's a feared deity and always sacrificed to before long travels. His priesthood is small but rabid and have declared the shifting seas to be sacred to him; encouraging pilgrimages to demonstrate humility before his whims.

Suggestions: This looks pretty good. Perhaps add storm.

Apoli/Phoebus
Portfolio: the sun, devas, the arts, diseases, devas, music, days, crows, vanity, oracles, prophecies, swordmages, paladins, dawn

Apoli's Clerics often have the Channel Divinity feat: Pelor's Radiance which they sometimes call Light of the Heavens

God of the Sun and light. He is said to give mortals the gift of prophecy and foreseeing. In his angered aspect, he is the god of archery and pestilence. He is also said to love music, poetry and art, even beautifully spelled magic. He's the god that saves or damnes in the deserts, and is thought to gift his favored ones with extraordinary eyesight in saving moments. He is referred to as the saver of men from monsters. Usuallly revered by: Archers, bards, poets, wizards, seers, artists in general, hunters of vile monsters

Suggestions: I would remove crows, devas and diseases.

This seems like a good canidate for magic as well. Also seems prime for some further in character explanation about the sun.

Peresefa/Proserphonos
Portfolio: Life, Death, Seasons, growth, decay, ravens, harvest, undead, shadar-kai, revenants, warlocks

Peresefa's Clerics often have the Channel Divinity feat: Armor of Bahamut which they sometimes call Proserphones Ward (for her blessing alone can help against Lauto's grasp)

Bride of Hadeys. Goddess of melancholy and gloom, but also tied to the seasonal cycle and land fertility. The goddess of seasons is beloved among warlocks and fey; who see her mercurial passions and the attachment to Hadeys that grants her her status as similar to their own.

Suggestions: This looks good. I would love to see a myth tying her further to Hadeys/Lauto, and some more ideas on personality.

Vulkar/Eefeystos
Portfolio: Dwarfs, smiths, volcanoes, weapons, crafts, torture, insects, artificier

Vulkar's Clerics often have the Channel Divinity feat: Moradin's Resolve which they sometimes call Resolve of Vulkar

God of Fire and forge. Mostly revered by dwarves, he is often depicted as maimed. A secluded god, dwelling in the Elemental chaos.

Suggestions: The reccomened portfolio is very flavorful. Screams for more explanation.

I had the idea that maybe Vulkar was once a primordial, or is more directly tie to primordials in some way. Needs developing.

Maros/Aressus
Portfolio: war, weapons, warforged, orcs, halforcs, hate, warlords, fighters, barbarians

Maros's Clerics often have the Channel Divinity feat: Kord's Favor which they sometimes call Favored in Battle

God of war and strength. Mostly tied to the violent aspect of battle, he is often given the attribute of cowardice. Often revered by goblinoids. He is said to grant extraordinary acts of prowess to his fathful, only to help their foes immediately after, for he loves the sight of battle, but he loves more that of blood. His weapons and armor are said to be forged by Efeystus himself. He is also some times a god that protects athletic competititors, though not necessarily the most honest of the lot. Acts of vengeance that call for blood are often officed with his blessing. Often revered by: Goblinoids, warriors, assassins, athletes, gladiators, executors

Suggestions: Looks good. Like always, needs more.

Merkari/Hermethis
Portfolio: Halflings, thiefs, commerce, spies, games, jokes, medicines,vermin, rosters, turtles, rogues, heralds

Merkari's Clerics often have the Channel Divinity feat: Corellon’s Grace which they sometimes call Merkari's Grace

God of trickery,lies, travel, and luck. He's considered nimble and witty, and often revered by thieves and rogues. He is also said to show the souls the way to the afterlife. He is said to be the god responsible for portals, and those "shortcuts between reality" are only traveled safely with his blessing.

Suggestions: There are a couple of gods already tied to commerce. I would remove that and add travel.

I would also remove turtles, roosters and vermin, as they are minor and unestablished.

I would add travel.

Mireva/Palladys
Portfolio: strategy, libraries, eladrins, war, mercy, owls, victory, knowledge, warlords, paladins

Mireva was born of Joven's intellect; appearing full grown.
* Mireva's Clerics often have the Channel Divinity feat: Ioun's Poise which they sometimes call Mireva's Perspective

Goddess of wisdom and intelligence, but also tied to wars and protection. One of the most revered deities in the Imperium

Suggestions: Looks good. I'm working on a myth explaining her birth and tying in the primal spirits.

Dayna/Arthamis
Portfolio: elfs, assassins, gnolls, woods, vengeance, virgins, moon, wolves, longtooth shifters, nightmares, dreams, dusks, nights

Dayna's Clerics often have the Channel Divinity feat: Corellon’s Grace which they sometimes call Blessed Hunt

Goddess of woods, virginity, hunt and wild beasts, sister of Apoli. She often represents the wildest aspect of the natural world. Highly revered by feys and other wood-dwelling creatures.

Suggestions: I think its obvious this could be further developed. I think we just need to make some stuff up in order to build and justifty further.

Vena/Aphrodeys
Portfolio: love, lust, peace, adultery, cats, razorclaw shifters, chaos

Dauntonians associate Vena with fertility of plants and animals as well as with beauty and it's darker counterparts (deception and illusion). The legend of Kythra attributes that islands fecundity of vegetation to the goddess' touch.

* Vena's Clerics often have the Channel Divinity feat: Melora's Tide which they sometimes call Health of the Lover

Goddess of love and passion. Representation of beauty and charm. Also in her hostile aspect, the deity of blinding passion and disorder, and illusions.

Suggestions: Remove cats. Add illusion.

I've been writing this post for way too long, and plan to add more.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
A couple things I'd like to say on this topic. I'll try to keep it short ;)

Firstly, to do with mechanics, I don't think there's a need to explicitly tie specific gods and domains together. None of the channel divinity feats were tied to specific gods (there's suggestions in the wiki, but also a statement that you're free to pick any CD feat for any worshiper of any god, provided you have some justification). Besides, it's a ton of work and will lead to disagreements, as we've seen.

Next, while I don't think the mechanics of domains and such need to be tied to specific gods, the wiki could probably use some more detailed writeups on the gods. I have a feeling that the sparse information in their page is because they are based on Greek mythology, and therefore google-able. I think the writer thought, "I don't really need to explain all about what Athena's about - people can just google that. I'll just explain how she ties into L4W."

With that in mind, some comments on Scorpius' suggestions.

First off, some of the things you're saying to remove because they're 'minor and unestablished' are recognized symbols of the Greek gods, which is why I think Ozy has them in there. For example, peacocks were Hera's bird. If you saw an image of a beautiful woman with a peacock, you knew it was Hera, because she had a peacock.

I do think that some of these symbols could be left out, at least for now. Like in Joven's case, I don't think we need swans, bulls, minotaurs in there - I know that Zeus took the form of a swan and a bull in two of his liaisons, but does that necessarily mean that they're symbols of his? (Not entirely sure here, I'm not an expert on Greek mythology by any means.) I'd think that lightning and thunder and his aegis would serve as sufficient symbols.

My only other comment about your suggestions are to do with Mireva. She just ... seems like one of the least likely to tie to the primal. Athena was the patron goddess of arguably the most civilized city state in ancient Greece, and was a symbol of that. Primal is about wilderness and the power of nature, which just really doesn't fit with her in my mind.

Aaanyways, I'll stop ranting now. One last thing: I'd tread carefully if you're trying to change the L4W gods significantly from their real world mythological roots. Most people probably won't care, but some people won't like that at all. Especially in the case of players who already have characters who are worshipping these gods ;)

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
First off, some of the things you're saying to remove because they're 'minor and unestablished' are recognized symbols of the Greek gods, which is why I think Ozy has them in there. For example, peacocks were Hera's bird. If you saw an image of a beautiful woman with a peacock, you knew it was Hera, because she had a peacock.

I agree, and made the same assumption. I just think that until we establish the myths that spawned these, as having happened, we should leave them alone.

My only other comment about your suggestions are to do with Mireva. She just ... seems like one of the least likely to tie to the primal. Athena was the patron goddess of arguably the most civilized city state in ancient Greece, and was a symbol of that. Primal is about wilderness and the power of nature, which just really doesn't fit with her in my mind.

Point taken, and I didn't explain myself well. I just know I have this idea in my head for a myth, that I haven't written down yet. I'm not trying to make her primal, I just see a way to help get the primal spirits some tie in.

Once it's up we'll see if people dig it or not.

Aaanyways, I'll stop ranting now. One last thing: I'd tread carefully if you're trying to change the L4W gods significantly from their real world mythological roots. Most people probably won't care, but some people won't like that at all. Especially in the case of players who already have characters who are worshipping these gods ;)

I would that if people have established something as fact they would have added it to the wiki. I understand that people don't always get round to that, or sometimes don't feel comfortable doing so.

I would not, however, ask anyone to take up the task of reading every post, in search of divine information.

Everyone is at such a low level, that I don't believe anyone has had direct contact with the gods, or was present for these events.

We are talking about myths and legends after all. Some are bound to contradict others somewhat. That does not make either of them immediately wrong.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Everyone is at such a low level, that I don't believe anyone has had direct contact with the gods, or was present for these events.

Not true. I know at least a couple characters who have been directly visited by Merkari. Unfortunately, in a very Dogma-esque fashion, one of them died and the other fell into a feverish coma soon after receiving their visitations. Since then Merkari seems to be taking a more subtle approach. Alternatively, that was his idea of a joke.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Oh. . . well do you know where it happened?

It sounds like some of that information would be useful in the wiki, even if it just ends up being a physical description and a link.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases