Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
If they're aquatic, shouldn't they also be amphibious or water dependent? As written, they wouldn't really want to get out on land to fight anyone much.

I guess skills and feats should mirror the other kappa reasonably closely.
Kappa-ti has ranks of Escape Artist 2, Hide 1, Intimidate 4, and Listen 4 and feats
Imp Crit, Weapon Focus, Spell Focus (enchantment). How do you want to alter that?

Cleon

Legend
If they're aquatic, shouldn't they also be amphibious or water dependent? As written, they wouldn't really want to get out on land to fight anyone much.

The Oriental Adventures Kappa is just Aquatic, so that's probably a holdover of that. From what I remember of the folklore they do leave the water and walk about on land, so presumably can breath air for at least short periods.

Given a choice I'd make them Water Dependent.

I guess skills and feats should mirror the other kappa reasonably closely.

Kappa-ti has ranks of Escape Artist 2, Hide 1, Intimidate 4, and Listen 4 and feats

I'd use the extra points to improve their stealth skills - Hide 5, Move Silently 5?

Imp Crit, Weapon Focus, Spell Focus (enchantment). How do you want to alter that?

We have to change the Improved Critical since they don't have the +8 BAB prerequisite.

Multiattack?

freyar

Let's add water dependent to the vampiric kappa and kappa-ti in that case.

Those skills and Multiattack appeal.

Cleon

Legend
Let's add water dependent to the vampiric kappa and kappa-ti in that case.

No objection to that.

The standard Sahuagin version is good enough for me:

Water Dependent (Ex): Kappa can survive out of the water for 1 hour per 2 points of Constitution (after that, refer to the drowning rules).

Those skills and Multiattack appeal.

Updated Working Draft.

I fixed the AC when I did so, since it didn't include its size adjustment.

freyar

Looks fine.

CR 7 due to casting? I'd normally prefer to reduce it, but their martial abilities are pretty good and reasonably synergistic with the spells.

Remove ads