Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
I'm fine with ethereal jaunt, but don't like renaming common abilities just for the sake of flavor.

It's not just a flavour change, it has some significant rewording and I wanted to distinguish the two abilities.

Incidentally, in one of my original drafts it transferred to-and-from the Astral Plane, not the Ethereal. I'm wondering whether I like that better.

Shade

Monster Junkie
It's not just a flavour change, it has some significant rewording and I wanted to distinguish the two abilities.

OK, I'm going to allow it this time. But I'm going to keep you on a tight leash. ;)

Incidentally, in one of my original drafts it transferred to-and-from the Astral Plane, not the Ethereal. I'm wondering whether I like that better.

Let's not....that opens up a horrific additional can-of-worms! :eek:

Cleon

Legend
Flying Spirit Working Draft, Mark 2

Kyokotsu (Crazy Bones Flying Spirit)
Medium Undead (Spirit)
Hit Dice: 2d12+4 (17 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: Fly 40 ft. (8 squares, perfect)
Armor Class: 15 (+3 Dex, +2 deflection), touch 15, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d4+1)
Full Attack: 2 claws +4 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Create spawn
Special Qualities: Immune to turning, rejuvenation, squeeze, undead traits, unholy toughness
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +4
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 16, Con —, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 15
Skills: Hide +13, Intimidate +8, Listen +6, Move Silently +9, Spot +6
Feats: Stealthy, Weapon Finesse (B)
Environment: Ruins and underground
Organization: Solitary or madness (2-8)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always evil, usually chaotic
Advancement: 3-6 HD (Medium); 7-9 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment:

A human skull floating in the air atop a sheet-like translucent figure, vaguely manlike in outline. A pair of bony hands at the end of fluttering, sleeve-like arms.No legs, no feet, the body-sheet just trails away to mist. Shards of decaying bone can be glimpsed inside its body and limbs.

A kyokotsu, meaning "Crazy Bones", is an undead spirit that occasionally forms from a forgotten corpse. Its cursed existence drives it to attack living mortals. They are usually encountered near wherever they died - somewhere a corpse can lie undiscovered, such as the bottom of a well or the overgrown bank of a little-used mountain trail. Most kyokotsu are solitary, but there are very rare cursed places where groups of crazy bones roam, killing those they encounter. These are usually based around sites where a family of evil doers was murdered and left to rot.

A kyokotsu is typically the same size as it was in life, but weighs only a few pounds. Particularly powerful crazy bones may grow to be twice the height of a human.

A kyokotsu can speak whatever languages it knew in life (usually Common), but generally voice nothing but nonsensical shrieks and bloodthirsty cackling, since they're as crazy as their name suggests.

Combat
Kyokotsu delight in surprising victims. They can spring upon their opponents by appearing out of small holes and tiny cracks. Crazy bones fight with claws. A kyokotsu is an erratic fighter with little or no sense of tactics. They typically fight to the death, chasing after opponents who try to flee, but might fly away and hide at the slightest sign of opposition, or hover in the air screaming insults and laughter at a retreating enemy.

Create Spawn (Su): Any humanoid slain by a kyokotsu becomes a kyokotsu if the victim's remains are abandoned. The victim becomes a normal kyokotsu at midnight on the first anniversary of its death. It is not under the control of any other kyokotsu, and does not possess any of the abilities it had in life. The victim will not become a kyokotsu if the corpse is buried, destroyed (usually by cremation), or if a simple funerary prayer is spoken over the remains - the latter requires a DC 10 Knowledge (religion) check. Furthermore, a kyokotsu can not form from a corpse that has been affected by the turn undead special ability or any spell that weakens undead or protects against decay or evil, such as hallow, gentle repose, or protection from evil.

Rejuvenation (Su): A kyokotsu is difficult to destroy permanently through simple combat. A "destroyed" will kyokotsu restore itself from its bones on the anniversary of its (original) death with a successful level check (1d20 + HD) against DC 16. Any action that would counteract a kyokotsu's Create Spawn ability (see above) can be used to prevent a kyokotsu's rejuvenation.

Squeeze (Su): A kyokotsu can squeeze through seemingly impossible portals. As a move action, a kyokotsu can pass through an opening as if it were a Diminutive creature. A kyokotsu must end its movement in a region large enough to hold a Diminutive creature, but it can take no actions other than movement unless it is in an area large enough that a Diminutive creature could normally squeeze through.

Unholy Toughness (Ex): A kyokotsu gains a bonus to its hit points equal to its Charisma modifier × its Hit Dice.

Skills: A kyokotsu has a +4 racial bonus to Hide and Intimidate checks.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases