Here's the next one in the article...

Vampire-Spectre
#Appearing: 1-2
AC: 1
Move: 18
Hit Dice: 10
% in Lair: 20%
Treasure: Type F

The Ch’ang-Kuei are super-vampires. They have 2 claws 1-4 and 1 bite 2-12 plus drain two levels, and or, if the vampire wishes, it may also, up to five times a day, Cause Disease with its touch — a saving throw is permitted.

Ch’ang-Kuei can turn into mist or fly but not into bats. Clerics turn them as vampires but must subtract 2 from the roll—if successful, the ordinary 2-12 then turn away. Ch’ang-Kuei Charm as other vampires but each victim must subtract 3 from his throw instead of 2. They can command rats or wolves.

Each Vampire-Spectre has a 10% chance of carrying a Magic Tiger Skin. This item may be thrown up to 1” away against a victim (or close in, if the caster wants to hang on) as against Armor Class 9. If the skin covers the target, the victim must make a saving throw versus magic. If he fails, he absorbs the skin and becomes a weretiger slave of the caster, or, after the caster is destroyed, simply a Chaotic/Evil weretiger. Someone under the influence of the skin is immune to charm-type spell psionics, music, etc. The skin may be removed only by someone else’s completion of a harrowing Quest, at which point the skin will come off, or by the original caster’s choice to remove the skin.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Should we read that as +6 turn resistance? Nice energy drain added on the bite, too! Not sure if they have blood drain, though, from the text.

Cleon

Legend
It doesn't really sound like it. Should we keep the weretiger curse ability?

Sure, it makes them distinctive.

So, are we going to make these a template à la the SRD vampire or a standard monster like the Spectre?

I'll vote for standard monster, if only for simplicity.

Do they need to turn into mist to fly? I'd prefer it if they could fly when in corporeal form, and the "or" in "turn into mist or fly" suggests they can do this.

Shall we start on the stats.

Medium Undead is pretty obvious, as is 10 Hit Dice.

40 ft. ground and fly speed?

Let's talk about ability scores? Here are some baselines:

Spectre: Str --, Dex 16, Con -, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 15
Vampire: Str 17, Dex 14, Con -, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 14
(standard array plus racial Str +6, Dex +4, Con -, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4)
Vampire Spawn: Str 16, Dex 14, Con -, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 14

As 'super-vampires' they probably have higher stats than a standard Vampire or Spectre. We could giv them whichever stat is higher, with an additional +2 on top. That would work out:

Vampire-Spectre: Str 19, Dex 18, Con -, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 17

Does that look OK, or is it too much?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Wow. Cleon voting for simplicity. Now I've seen everything.

The ability scores sound pretty good. Maybe more charismatic, to the tune of 19-20. We should probably also give them unholy toughness to keep them durable.

If we're going to do the weretiger curse, which I'm all for, we shouldn't tie it to an item, but we should make it something it can't do very often. Only one weretiger thrall at a time? A 1/month recharge?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Agreed to 1 thrall at a time and Cha increase to 19.

Added to Homebrews.

Which of the following standard vampire abilities (not specifically mentioned in the text) should we retain?

• create spawn
  • damage reduction 10/silver and magic
  • dominate
  • resistance to cold 10 and electricity 10
  • spider climb
  • +8 racial bonus on Bluff, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks
  • Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, and Lightning Reflexes as bonus feats

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ch’ang-Kuei Charm as other vampires but each victim must subtract 3 from his throw instead of 2.

That sounds like dominate to me.

DR, resistances, skill and feat bonuses sound good. I'm ambivalent on create spawn, and spider climb is slightly redundant since they can fly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases