Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Sure, just add ki strike. That makes the most sense to me.

Bodies are 5-1/2 feet tall and 120 lb? Speaks Common?

Cleon

Legend
Sure, just add ki strike. That makes the most sense to me.

Upon reflection, we'd better just give it to the ability rather than calling out ki strike. For a start, ki strike only works with unarmed strikes, so its veils won't benefit unless we give yet another ability to ki strike with veil (maybe as an addition to Steel Cloth). Also, ki/magic kicks in at 4th level, so it'd have to be keyed on their HD instead of the "as 3rd level monk" of its other monk special abilities.

Plus, it makes them slightly simpler!

Bodies are 5-1/2 feet tall and 120 lb?

Making them the size of an average female human makes sense. The adventure makes no mention of their size, so we can presume they aren't unusually large or small.

Updating the Veiled Maidens Working Draft.

Speaks Common?

They're smart enough to have four bonus languages, so we might as well let is speak a few more - maybe Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic and Elven?

freyar

Sure, just letting their attacks be magic is fine. I'll go with all those languages, too.

Are we just using a stock background for all the seven swords?

Geez, I hope the next one is less complex than this...

Cleon

Legend
Sure, just letting their attacks be magic is fine. I'll go with all those languages, too.

Updating the Veiled Maidens Working Draft.

Are we just using a stock background for all the seven swords?

I'm assuming we'll be using the same initial paragraph for them all, with the name changed were appropriate, then add one or two small paragraphs of personalized background info.

Geez, I hope the next one is less complex than this...

Let me see...

Yes, the next one's comparatively straightforward, being an undead samurai with blink and mirror image special abilities.

Some of the other ones are just as bad, though!

freyar

How about we plug in the background and get these done with? Personalization: the Veiled Maidens is an incarnation of a young noble woman trained in dance and music. ??

Cleon

Legend
How about we plug in the background and get these done with? Personalization: the Veiled Maidens is an incarnation of a young noble woman trained in dance and music. ??

Come to think of it, we never gave her any ranks in Perform (dance). Perhaps we should do something about that - maybe swap her Balance ranks for Perform ranks?

As for the flavour text, hows about...

The Veiled Maidens is one of the Seven Swords, a group of seven weapon masters who were transformed into unique undead by an ancient curse that binds them to a castle they once guarded in life. If one of the Seven Swords is destroyed, the curse causes them to reform the following night and continue to haunt the castle.

In life, the Veiled Maidens was a young noblewoman expert in dancing and martial arts. In death, her spirit incarnated into seven identical bodies that move in perfect choreography to trap and destroy intruders. Her veils and graceful poses are now nothing but deceits to lure the careless to their doom.

In Kara-Tur
The Seven Swords were the leading members of the Ito clan and lived in Ito-Jo castle. Their malign influence of a krakentoa led to their rule becoming tyrannical and eventually brought down a dreadful curse upon the Swords and the entire castle, turning it into a haunted place of the damned. The Seven Swords of Ito-Jo cannot be destroyed simply by destroying their sword charms. The only way to permanently lay them to rest is to slay the krakentoa responsible for the curse.

The Veiled Maidens was once Ito Kiku, daughter of Ito Tadahiro. Nothing is remembered of her except for her loyalty to her father, a disgraced warrior so fearsome that Kiku became known as the "daughter of death".

Cleon

Legend
The General Original Stats

Third is their leader, he of the bloody sword. His power lies in his place of rest.

Special Weakness

General: The sword rest (AC 8).

General
This is Ito Tadahiro, third weapon master of the Seven Swords, a ronin. He acts only if he or the katana is disturbed.

If Tadahiro is attacked, his superior iajetsu allows him to strike first with his wakizashi. After the first exchange of blows the katana appears in his hand and he vanishes.

He appears shortly after — all twenty of him! He can create a mirror image effect with the room mirrors and his sword. Each time Tadahiro is hit, roll a six-sided die: 1-2 Tadahiro is hit, 3 a pillar is hit, 4-6, a mirror is hit. Mirrors can be attacked separately (AC 5; hp 20). The mirrors do not crack, but shatter when destroyed. For every five mirrors destroyed, the chance of hitting Tadahiro increases by 1 in 6.

Ito Tadihiro harrasses the characters and attempts to slay all. He is arrogant and unrepentant, brooding over lost battles that cost his samurai status.

When defeated, he and his equipment vanish in a puff of red smoke, and the room turns dark. Hanging from the sword stand is a wrist chain with a tiny katana-shaped charm that fits the medallion.

Ito Tadahiro: 13th level ronin (AC 2; MV 12”; hp 102; #AT 2; THAC0 6; Dmg 1-10+8 katana, 1-8+8 wakizashi; ki: THAC0 4, Dmg 1-10+11, 1-8+11)

Crimson Katana: Sword +1, flames to +2; user can blink as blink dog once per level per day; evilly aligned (causing damage to good and neutral characters); teleports to user’s hand when disturbed.

Remove ads