Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think I'd say that the current possessor could dominate the sword to keep it from teleporting back to the General, though.

I'll try to remember to look up that MIC ability tonight.

freyar

Well, I looked, and I'd have sworn there was a teleporting weapon or armor ability in that book somewhere. But I'm not sure where I might have seen it (or if I'm making it up!).

Cleon

Legend
I think I'd say that the current possessor could dominate the sword to keep it from teleporting back to the General, though.

I'd think it would work like teleport object, in which case a creature "attending" the katana could prevent it teleporting away with a Will save.

freyar

Well, the question should be who controls the teleporting ability. Since it's an intelligent sword, shouldn't the sword decide? And, if the person in possession of the sword has crushed its ego, shouldn't the sword obey that person rather than the General?

Cleon

Legend
Well, the question should be who controls the teleporting ability. Since it's an intelligent sword, shouldn't the sword decide? And, if the person in possession of the sword has crushed its ego, shouldn't the sword obey that person rather than the General?

That doesn't seem a very desirable feature to build into a magical weapon's ability to teleport back to its owner. It's ego is pretty low, so it'd mean the "come back sword!" power is virtually useless as soon as someone with a half-decent willpower picks it up.

freyar

Only once they have an ego struggle, right? I guess the point to me is that there needs to be some mechanism for a PC to "steal" it, even if they don't realize they haven't completely destroyed the General.

By the way, don't forget to put Rejuvenation in the General's working draft.

Cleon

Legend
Only once they have an ego struggle, right? I guess the point to me is that there needs to be some mechanism for a PC to "steal" it, even if they don't realize they haven't completely destroyed the General.

Well they'd only have to touch the sword and disagree with it to have an ego challenge, and as previously mentioned its ego won't be that high, which means it's not that much of a challenge.

While I don't object to the principle that they ought to be able to steal it, I'm also not that keen on making it easy.

Perhaps it involves a command word either use the power or "tune" the crimson katana to a new master, so they have to research or identify the sword to master the teleport-return power?

By the way, don't forget to put Rejuvenation in the General's working draft.

Oops!

I thought it had been left in when I copy-pasted the Seven Sword I used as a template.

Never mind, it's a simple matter to add it with the next update.

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm. Either researching/identifying or a day-long ritual or something could work for me.

Something along those lines would be fine by me.

Maybe they just need to meditate in front of it for a few hours - that doesn't seem terribly "chaotic evil" but would jibe with a clichéd western view of Japan, which is basically what the part of Kara-Tur the adventure is set in is!

Remove ads