Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sounds good. Let's try to figure out some ability scores.

Int is given as 11-12.

Similarly-sized and HD spirit creatures and outsiders:
Go-zu Oni: Str 25, Dex 10, Con 19, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 17
Me-zu Oni: Str 27, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 19
Doc Cu'o'c: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 18
Sword Archon: Str 25, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 17
Ursinal: Str 19, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 18, Wis 17, Cha 18

Cleon

Legend
Sounds good. Let's try to figure out some ability scores.

Int is given as 11-12.

Similarly-sized and HD spirit creatures and outsiders:
Go-zu Oni: Str 25, Dex 10, Con 19, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 17
Me-zu Oni: Str 27, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 19
Doc Cu'o'c: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 18
Sword Archon: Str 25, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 17
Ursinal: Str 19, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 18, Wis 17, Cha 18

Medium Outsider (Spirit) with Blindsight, frightful presence and evasion suits me too. If I remember the mythology correctly the Frightful Presence should be particularly effective against evil creatures.

As for the stats, I think the Sword Archon looks a good fit.

I'd be happy to use the Sword Archons stats as is, or maybe tweak the Constitution and Charisma up a bit - perhaps to Con 18 and Cha 19?

Men-Shen: Str 25, Dex 17, Con 14-18, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 17-19 ?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Men-shen speak the languages of all inhabitants of Kara-Tur, as well as the language of the Celestial Court.

Men-shen speak Common, Celestial, and x.

Add an underbar for "In Kara-Tur"?

The men-shen is exceptionally difficult for opponents to strike. He commands continual ESP with a 30-foot radius, and no opponent within 30 feet can surprise him.

Add improved uncanny dodge and a racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks?

For the ESP, I borrowed the doppelganger's continuous detect thoughts ability.

He can fly, and also can become invisible at will. Furthermore, he can attack while invisible, as per improved invisibility. Finally, a men-shen can become astral at will and polymorph self twice per day. When polymorphed, the men-shen usually takes the form of an oni (or a similarly fearsome creature) in order to frighten away skittish opponents.

Greater invisibility (self only) at will? Astral projection at will? Follow the 3.5 lead of most outsiders and replace polymorph self with change shape or alternate form?

The men-shen primarily attacks with its sword, which grants him a +4 bonus to attack and damage rolls. No other creature can use a men-shen’s sword. If a men-shen is destroyed, his sword will crumble to dust. In order for a sword to retain its potency, the men-shen must return daily to the Celestial realms. Each day spent away from these realms causes the sword to lose 1 point from its attack bonus; its damage bonus is unaffected.

Repurpose this ability again?

Summon Weapon (Su): An aurumach can be armed in an instant by magically summoning a a golden, Huge +3 halberd. When separated from the aurumach, the weapon vanishes. An aurumach can summon or dispel its own weapon as a free action.

The men-shen is immune to fear charm, and hold spells of all types. He suffers half damage (or no damage) from spells that cause the loss of hit points.

Immunity to mind-affecting spells and abilities? Does evasion sufficiently cover the latter, or should we give it spell resistance as well?

Although the original creature lacked it, I'd fancy giving them DR 10/chaotic as well.

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

Men-shen speak Common, Celestial, and x.

Add in Draconic?

Add improved uncanny dodge and a racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks?

For the ESP, I borrowed the doppelganger's continuous detect thoughts ability.

Greater invisibility (self only) at will? Astral projection at will? Follow the 3.5 lead of most outsiders and replace polymorph self with change shape or alternate form?

That all looks good to me.

Repurpose this ability again?

Summon Weapon (Su): An aurumach can be armed in an instant by magically summoning a a golden, Huge +3 halberd. When separated from the aurumach, the weapon vanishes. An aurumach can summon or dispel its own weapon as a free action.

Wouldn't that need quite a lot of repurposing to match the sword's "crumbling to dust" and "losing one attack plus per day spend outside Heaven" traits.

Hmm, I think we can do without the losing pluses away from heaven bit, and if we throw in the rest of the traits we could get something like this:

Summon Weapon (Su): A men-shen can summon its (+4 axiomatic longsword?) to its hand as a swift action, even if the sword is on another plane or being held by an enemy. The sword can only be wielded by the men-shen, if any other creature tries to attack with it the weapon will vanish. If the men-shen dies, its sword crumbles into dust.

Do we want a dimensional anchor or the like preventing the sword from being summoned?

Immunity to mind-affecting spells and abilities? Does evasion sufficiently cover the latter, or should we give it spell resistance as well?

Might as well, it's the easiest solution and seems appropriate.

Although the original creature lacked it, I'd fancy giving them DR 10/chaotic as well.

That would seem to fit, an Astral Deva is of a similar power level and has DR 10/evil.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I like that dimensional anchor suggestion. The half damage from damaging spells was why I suggested evasion in the first place. I think they should stick to polymorph--there are a number of outsiders with it, like succubi and efreet.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Suggestions above all work for me, including Cleon's summon weapon and keeping polymorph. I could see some SR since evasion only works on area effect spells, but it's not a biggy.

Remove ads