Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm leaning towards fly 200 ft., since that's what most Colossal true dragons get.

I can live with that (once you get past 100 feet, it's all "ridiculously fast", anyway). I just figured a bit slower since dragons are generally better than everything else. ;)

We need to work on the windstorm. I know we've got precedents...I just need to find 'em.

EDIT: Duh. I should've looked at the most obvious comparison...

Windstorm (Ex): As a standard action, the kaiju can blast an area with powerful gusts of wind by flapping its wings. This blast of wind creates a 100-foot-long cone of hurricane force wind. All flames in the region are extinguished. Ranged attacks are impossible to make while the windstorm is in effect (except for siege weapons or kaiju ranged attacks, which suffer a -8 penalty to attack). Listen checks are impossible. Creatures of Medium-size or smaller on the ground are knocked prone and roll 1d4x10 feet, sustaining 1d4 points of subdual damage per 10 feet. Flying creatures of Medium-size or smaller are blown back 2d6x10 feet and sustain 2d6 points of subdual damage. Creatures of Large size on the ground must make the same saving throw or be knocked prone. Flying creatures of Large size are blown back 1d6x10 feet. Flying creatures of Huge size are blown back 1d6x5 feet. The kaiju must have wings to have this special attack.

We've also got this feat from Draconomicon...

Wingstorm [Monstrous]
You can flatten targets with blasts of air from your wings.
Prerequisites: Str 13, dragon, fly speed 20, Hover, Power Attack, size Large or larger.
Benefit: As a full-round action, you can hover in place and use your wings to create a blast of air in a cylinder with a radius and height of 10 feet times your age category.
The wind blows from the center of your body toward the outside edge at the bottom of the cylinder.
The force of the wind depends on your size as indicated below. For the effects of high winds, see Table 3-24 on page 95 of the DMG.

Dragon Size Wind Force
Large Severe
Huge Windstorm
Gargantuan Hurricane
Colossal Tornado

Because the blast of air only lasts for your turn, creatures ignore the checked wind effect unless they are airborne (in which case they are blown back 1d6x5 feet).

Special: You can elect to keep the wind in effect for longer than your current turn. If you do, the wind lasts until your next turn (and you can opt to continue the effect during your next turn). Anyone in or entering the cylinder is affected. Because you are producing a continuous blast of air, the checked effect works normally while the wind lasts (checked creatures cannot move forward against the force of the wind, or they are blown back 1d6x5 feet if airborne).

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I can live with that (once you get past 100 feet, it's all "ridiculously fast", anyway). I just figured a bit slower since dragons are generally better than everything else. ;)

Bah, Mothra can fly at supersonic speeds you know.:p

We need to work on the windstorm. I know we've got precedents...I just need to find 'em.

I'd combine the two and increase the area and effects a bit.

Something like this:

Windstorm (Ex):
As a full-round action, an insectoid gargantua can hover in place and create a super-tornado force storm. Once started, it can continue the windstorm with a [standard?] action each round. The insectoid gargantua's windstorm can affect a 600-foot cone, or a cylinder with a radius and height of 200 feet (it can choose a different area each round). All flames in the region are extinguished. Ranged attacks are impossible to make while the windstorm is in effect (except for siege weapons or kaiju ranged attacks, which suffer a -8 penalty to attack). Listen checks are impossible.

Creatures of Large-size or smaller on the ground must succeed at a DC X Fort save or they are knocked prone and roll 1d10x10 feet, sustaining 1d6 points of subdual damage per 10 feet. Huge creatures on the ground must succeed at the same saving throw or be knocked prone, Gargantuan creatures on the ground are checked if they fail this save.

Flying creatures of Large-size or smaller are blown back 2d10x10 feet and sustain 3d6 points of subdual damage if they fail the same saving throw. Huge flying creatures are blown back 1d6x10 feet and Gargantuan flying creatures are blown back 1d6x5 feet, but neither take any damage.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Lookin' good!

I'm tempted to go with a move action to maintain it, since it is essentially just flapping its wings to an effect other than flight.

The save DC seems like it should be Strength-based. Whaddya think?

Cleon

Legend
Lookin' good!

I'm tempted to go with a move action to maintain it, since it is essentially just flapping its wings to an effect other than flight.

I'm not fussed either way, so let's make it Move.

The save DC seems like it should be Strength-based. Whaddya think?

Either Strength or Constitution would work. It depends whether keeping up the wing-beats is a question of brute force or endurance. The real question is do we prefer DC43 or DC49?

I was leaning toward Strength for the higher save DC, so we might as well go for that.

Revising...

Windstorm (Ex): As a full-round action, an insectoid gargantua can hover in place and create a super-tornado force storm. Once started, it can continue this windstorm with a move action each round. The insectoid gargantua's windstorm can affect a 600-foot cone, or a cylinder with a radius and height of 200 feet (it can choose a different area each round). All flames in the region are extinguished. Ranged attacks are impossible to make while the windstorm is in effect (except for siege weapons or kaiju ranged attacks, which suffer a -8 penalty to attack). Listen checks are impossible.

Creatures of Large-size or smaller on the ground must succeed at a DC X Fort save or they are knocked prone and roll 1d10×10 feet, sustaining 1d6 points of subdual damage per 10 feet. Huge creatures on the ground must succeed at the same saving throw or be knocked prone, Gargantuan creatures on the ground are checked if they fail this save. The save DC is Strength-based.

Flying creatures of Large-size or smaller are blown back 2d10×10 feet and sustain 3d6 points of subdual damage if they fail the same saving throw. Huge flying creatures are blown back 1d6×10 feet and Gargantuan flying creatures are blown back 1d6×5 feet, but neither take any damage.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

I replaced "subdual damage" with its 3.5 equivalent "nonlethal damage".

That's about it for special abilities, eh?

Skills: 47 ranks
Listen, Spot...anything else?

Feats: 16 (9 can be epic)
Flyby Attack, Hover, Wingover...

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

I replaced "subdual damage" with its 3.5 equivalent "nonlethal damage".

That's about it for special abilities, eh?

Well, unless you want to start borrowing some abilities Mothra has shown in the movies.

You know, raising the dead, shooting energy beams from her antennae, shedding magical glitter...:p

Skills: 47 ranks
Listen, Spot...anything else?

I'd put more in Spot than Listen, say 25 Spot and 22 Listen.

Feats: 16 (9 can be epic)
Flyby Attack, Hover, Wingover...

Flyby Attack, Hover, Wingover are OK, so that's three.

Improved Flyby Attack would be desirable, since she'll often be making hit-and-run attacks. That has Dodge and Mobility as Prereqs.

Snatch, would be handy, and we can give it the normal attack-boosting feats of Weapon Focus (bite), Improved Critical (bite) and Power Attack.

That's 10 regular feats, so we've got 6 Epic.

I don't fancy the Devastating Critical chain, since they are not very deadly (for Gargantua).

We can use three on the Epic save boosters - Epic Fortitude, Epic Reflexes and Epic Will.

How about Epic Endurance and its prereq of Endurance plus Epic Toughness?

That's 16, but only 5 are Epic. There just aren't that many Epic Feats the Insectoid Gargantua's eligible or suited for.

Feat proposals, with Epic Feats in bold.

1. Hover
  2. Wingover
  3. Flyby Attack
  4. Dodge
  5. Mobility
  6. Improved Flyby Attack
  7. Snatch
  8. Weapon Focus (bite)
  9. Improved Critical (bite)
  10. Power Attack
  11. Endurance
  12. Epic Toughness
  13. Epic Endurance
  14. Epic Fortitude
  15. Epic Reflexes
  16. Epic Will

Rappy

First Post
Those feats work for me. It's a good mix of increased power and flight capabilities, which is good for the insectoid gargantua.

Cleon

Legend
Those feats work for me. It's a good mix of increased power and flight capabilities, which is good for the insectoid gargantua.

That just leaves damage for its Crush attack, CR and the descriptive text then.

Since they're fliers, I'd think they would be relatively lightweight so wouldn't crush for as much damage as the Reptilian.

What do you think of 6d12+25?

Cleon

Legend
It works for me. It's better than a dragon's, but not hugely so, so it sounds about right.

Well True Dragons have a many other effective means of bringing ruin to their enemies, so it seemed fair to give the Insectoid a little extra with its two Special Attacks.

Remove ads