Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's one we used before...

Final Curse (Su): Upon reaching 0 hit points, an angreden may utter a curse as an immediate action. This functions as a bestow curse spell (caster level 4th), but does not require a touch attack and may only be directed upon the angreden's slayer. A successful DC 14 Will save negates the curse. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Cleon

Legend
Since it happens right away, why not just model it on bestow curse (which is what mark of justice uses)? That's a –4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks. Do we want to include the extra effect on nearby characters?

Yes, I'd include the secondary effect and the mark of justice style level requirement to remove the curse.

Cleon

Legend
So, use the agreden's ability, but add the caster level check to remove the curse?

I prefer a minimum caster level, since a level check usually means the PCs just keep repeating their break enchantment until it takes hold, but I'll leave that to you.

I'd include the secondary effect.

Something like this:

Death Curse (Su): If a kappa-ti is killed, it inflicts a powerful curse on the creatures that slew it. This curse can affect up to 4 creatures, who must be within 800 feet of the kappa when it dies. If more than 4 creatures helped kill a kappa-ti, the curse targets the 4 who the kappa holds most responsible for its death or, if all are equally culpable, the 4 closest. The targets must succeed at a DC X Will save or be cursed with a -4 [luck?] penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks. Furthermore, all non-hostile creatures will take a -1 luck penalty on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks whenever they are within 30 feet of victim of a death curse (e.g. all unfriendly, indifferent, friendly or helpful creatures near a cursed victim will be penalized, only hostile creatures are unaffected by this luck penalty). A kappa-ti's death curse cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell. [The curse is the equivalent of caster level Y, and a remove curse spell works only if its caster level is equal to or higher than Z]. The save DC is Charisma-based [plus a racial bonus?].

Shade

Monster Junkie
I prefer a minimum caster level, since a level check usually means the PCs just keep repeating their break enchantment until it takes hold, but I'll leave that to you.

I'd include the secondary effect.

Something like this:

Death Curse (Su): If a kappa-ti is killed, it inflicts a powerful curse on the creatures that slew it. This curse can affect up to 4 creatures, who must be within 800 feet of the kappa when it dies. If more than 4 creatures helped kill a kappa-ti, the curse targets the 4 who the kappa holds most responsible for its death or, if all are equally culpable, the 4 closest. The targets must succeed at a DC X Will save or be cursed with a -4 [luck?] penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks. Furthermore, all non-hostile creatures will take a -1 luck penalty on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks whenever they are within 30 feet of victim of a death curse (e.g. all unfriendly, indifferent, friendly or helpful creatures near a cursed victim will be penalized, only hostile creatures are unaffected by this luck penalty). A kappa-ti's death curse cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell. [The curse is the equivalent of caster level Y, and a remove curse spell works only if its caster level is equal to or higher than Z]. The save DC is Charisma-based [plus a racial bonus?].

Wow. That's....complex.

I'd favor something closer to the final curse above, without listing everyting better than remove curse that can remove it (generally, I think wishes and miracles are implied solutions). I favor the level check, because I'm chaotic and prefer randomness. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Wow. That's....complex.

I'd favor something closer to the final curse above, without listing everyting better than remove curse that can remove it (generally, I think wishes and miracles are implied solutions). I favor the level check, because I'm chaotic and prefer randomness. ;)

How do you know that's not the simple version. :p

Actually, I just copied over a bunch of mark of justice with the expectation some tweaking would occur.

How's this...

Death Curse (Su): If a kappa-ti is killed, it inflicts a powerful curse on the creatures that slew it. This curse can affect up to 4 creatures, who must be within 800 feet of the kappa when it dies. If more than 4 creatures helped kill a kappa-ti, the curse targets the 4 who the kappa holds most responsible for its death or, if all are equally culpable, the 4 closest. The targets must succeed at a DC X Will save or be cursed with a -4 [luck?] penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks. Furthermore, all creatures within 30 ft. of the cursed victim (except for creatures with a hostile attitude to the victim) will take a -1 luck penalty on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks until they get beyond 30 feet. A kappa-ti's death curse cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a remove curse or similarspell if the caster succeeds at a level check against a DC of Y [HD based?]. The save DC is Charisma-based [plus a racial bonus?].

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I prefer a caster level check because that fits the 3.X ethos better. ;)

This seems a bit easier to deal with. I'd probably be in favor of making the curse a luck penalty.

Remove ads