Adventure: Love Bites

covaithe

Explorer
Hacker and Kathalia between them speculate about the dragon's likely habitat and food sources, and theorize that it likely makes its home in a cave, not near open water, in which a particular kind of acid-resistant fungus can be found. The idea of caves away from the water suggests that it may come from the direction of the small mountain to the southeast, featured in Dungwringer's directions.

Kathalia leads the way in that direction, keeping an eye out for caves. Atreus helps keep watch, but his brooding mind is distracted by other thoughts, and he treads on a small black object that may have been one of the acid-droplets Mikara noticed earlier -- or may have been an actual rabbit pellet. By the time Atreus raises his foot, it is impossible to tell.

[sblock=Skill challenge! Find the dragon's hoard]Status: 3 success, 2 failure. Woe is still up for the first round, then everyone for the second.

Yes, it's three failures ends it. I'll allow spending an action point to reroll a failed check, if you like. You've all got an AP in hand, after the rest.

DCs aren't fixed; they're near 18, give or take a few, but can be modified by roleplaying at my discretion.

Edit: Also, if you're keeping track, you may have noticed that I gave two successes for Kathalia's very high check, in conjunction with fine roleplaying between her and Hacker.

Primary skills: nature, perception, dungeoneering
Secondary skills: anything else, within reason. DCs are based on how appropriate I think the skill use is, and how well it's roleplayed.

[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
Atreus helps keep watch, but his brooding mind is distracted by other thoughts, and he treads on a small black object that may have been one of the acid-droplets Mikara noticed earlier -- or may have been an actual rabbit pellet. By the time Atreus raises his foot, it is impossible to tell.
"Gawds-*****! You ***** idiot! Do you have to work at incompetence, or does it come to you naturally?! This is a dragon's hoard, *****! Get your ***** head out of your *****, and don't ***** this up for the rest of us!"

nerdytenor

First Post
Kathalia continues to examine the local fauna, looking for clues.

*GAZUMPF!!!!*

Without warning, she is rapidly distorted into her wolf form. At first it looks as though she is going to attack the party, if her barking and clawing are anything to go by. But it soon becomes clear that she is attempting to lead the way, sniffing around and occasionally pausing to dig rapidly into the ground with her vicious claws.

She turns to face the party and taps her right front paw impatiently, nodding her head in the direction she thinks they should proceed.

// Perception 18

[sblock=Kathalia Stat Block!]
Kathalia, Elf Druid 4
Passive Perception 23, Passive Insight 16
AC 20, Fort 15, Reflex 18, Will 18
HP 41/41 Bloodied 20, Surge Value 10, Surges 9/9
Speed 8, Initiative +6
Action Points: 1

Current Effects
Wolf Form

Encounter Resources
Darting Bite
Predator's Flurry
Elven Accuracy (+2 feat and heal)
Screaming Hide Armor
Second Wind
Use Action Point

Daily Resources
Healing Word
Amulet of Resolution
Fleet Pursuit
Fires of Life
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dunamin

First Post
Atreus helps keep watch, but his brooding mind is distracted by other thoughts, and he treads on a small black object that may have been one of the acid-droplets Mikara noticed earlier -- or may have been an actual rabbit pellet. By the time Atreus raises his foot, it is impossible to tell.
“Its elementary, d'ear D'torian.” Woe interjects, speaking in a quirky thick accent. “That's neither acid-pellet, nor rabbit-dropping you've got complementing your boot - though both bets are close. This is, in fact, a fine example of dragon poo-poo that you've betrodden!”

The warrior carefully pierces a tiny lump of tissue buried in the small black object off Atreus boot, and holds the spear-tip up close for all to see.

“Its undigested, scented with acid, and smeared with crap, but there's no mistake...” He makes a dramatic pause, a glimmer of familiarity in his eyes. “This is a woman's nipple. ”

Woe suddenly points to the horizon, almost poking Tristan in the eye.

“And look, there's another clump over there! … Fellas, we've slain us a mid-flight pooper with constipation!”

He's right. There's more constrained pieces of crap ahead, the discovery of which is particularly efficient for Kathalia to sniff out a trail. Woe does occasionally insist that Mikara bend over to examine clues carefully, though.

[sblock=Checks]
Woe succeeds on Aid Another checks for Perception.
1st Round: Atreus' result is increased to 19, turning this Failure to Success (if I understand correctly).
2nd Round: Kathalia's result is increased to 20.
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Woe points out another possible explanation for whatever it is smeared on the bottom of Atreus' foot, which spurs Kathalia into an idea. Transforming into beast form, she leads confidently on, tracking what she believes is the dragon's scent.

[sblock=Skill challenge! Find the dragon's hoard]Status: 4 success, 2 failure. Woe's aid another results in a +2 to the next perception check.

Explanation: I don't like to allow retroactive assistance, so I'm not going to let Woe's +2 apply to Atreus' check; that's still a failure. I'll let Woe's first round check give a bonus to Kathalia's second round perception, even though the latter was rolled first; that results in a success. Now Woe's 2nd round aid another bonus is still on the table, waiting to be applied to someone else's perception check.

Primary skills: nature, perception, dungeoneering
Secondary skills: anything else, within reason. DCs are based on how appropriate I think the skill use is, and how well it's roleplayed.

[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
"Hmm..."

"You know, dragons are innately magical *****, so logic would dictate that its fecal matter would likewise have mystical properties. Therefore, if I were to focus my mystical senses, that dragon ***** should light up like an orphanage on fire."

Hacker places his fingers to his temples and narrows his good eye, opening his consciousness to the preternatural forces of the universe.

Arcana (Detect Magic): 1d20+13=30

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=Perception]1d20+12+2 = 26[/sblock]Mikara just shakes her head at Woe's analysis.

Well, he's half right.... That clue is full of s#!t.

"Woe, it's not a nipple. It's a nose.... Guess your not as much of a ladies man as you say, if you can't tell that."
she almost snorts as she giggles, "The rest of it, however, is right on target."

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Tristan follows along, examining the new trail evidence along with the rest of the group. A few times he stops and looks back along the path they've taken and then along the horizon around them, focusing most of his attention ahead.

After a few minutes of this he nods once, smiling. "Based on the path we've followed so far, it looks like it was coming from that direction," he says, pointing towards a rocky outcropping in the distance. "Looks like a good place for a lair to me, given what's around. I see some more of those turds and melted sand that way too." The elf moves ahead to keep examining what trail signs they have.
[sblock=OOC]Perception (1d20+12=29)[/sblock]

Remove ads