carriages, carts, chariots, etc

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looking in the equipment section, I see that there are entries for carts, carriages, and similar mount-drawn transportation options. But the equipment section doesn't list anything about their speed. Is that addressed anywhere in the rules? Or are you implicitly supposed to work it out from mount encumbrance?

(Speaking of this, I don't even know where I'd look this up in 3.5. :confused:)

Glade Riven

Adventurer
WoC's Arms and Equipment Guide has a crap-ton of normal item information, including explicit detailed information (like speed) on various types of transportation. I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't work with Pathfinder.

For animal-drawn objects, take the weight of what is being drawn (and it's load), divide by 4 (that's the pull weight), and then match it up with the load capacity of what is pulling it.

So, um, essentially yes - you do work it out by encumbrance.

frankthedm

First Post
So, um, essentially yes - you do work it out by encumbrance.
Actually carts and wagons are much slower. d20 ruleset did not do a great job of explaining WHY this speed was chosen, but it is pretty clear this is how fast you get to go with horse and cart.

Mount/Vehicle
Cart or wagon 2 miles Per Hour 16 miles Per Day

Here is the 3.5 chart as well.

Attachments

• 3.5.GIF
    3.5.GIF
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,101
Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Thanks! I knew I'd seen it somewhere in 3.5, so it should be in Pathfinder. But perhaps there's some leeway for different carts if you add more mounts, etc....

GlassEye

Adventurer
Actually carts and wagons are much slower. d20 ruleset did not do a great job of explaining WHY this speed was chosen, but it is pretty clear this is how fast you get to go with horse and cart.

Mount/Vehicle

It seems to me the Mounts and Vehicles table is only for Overland movement (which is generalized into a steady pace to give average distances traveled). This doesn't really hold up when you consider the chase scene such as mounted bandits rushing after the carriage. For a short period of time, a carriage can go much faster than that 2 mph. In which case I would agree with Transbot9: you gotta work out the numbers for Tactical and Local movement.

Glade Riven

Adventurer

Mount/Vehicle

Well, there's no overland/oversea tables in Arms and Equipment guide - what they have are tables for "How fast can we get this thing moving right now" for a particular situation with a particular vehicle. I see no contradiction.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases