LEB Discussion Thread '10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalidrev

First Post
I disagree, and I'll tell you why. If a Kalashtar were NOT always listening, then how in the world would the Telepathic Sensitivity feat work? I think a better analogy would not be the telephone, but rather a telephone switchboard. It knows all the calls are there, but at first, can only plug into one call at a time (the single cord with connections at both ends). It hears the rings, but can only connect to the ones directed at his/her switchboard.

What the Group Mind feat is doing, on the other hand, is splicing a bunch of these cords together and adding connectors to each of the many ends, which are plugged into all of the kalashtar's ally's communication ports, allowing each of the allies to speak to each other ally, using the kalashtar as the conduit, rather than speaking to the Kalashtar directly.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
If it doesn't work this way then think what happens when a kalashtar walks into a crowded bar and a dozen people are in their range. They wouldn't be able to hear themselves think. For there own sanity I'd think that kalashtar wouldn't 'always "listening"'.
And my counter-analogy would be to point out what do normal people do when then go into a crowded, loud place: They focus on only the parts of the conversation they want and require their friends who want to get their attention to yell).

elecgraystone

First Post
And my counter-analogy would be to point out what do normal people do when then go into a crowded, loud place: They focus on only the parts of the conversation they want and require their friends who want to get their attention to yell).
Only they have BOTH. (any the telepathic people aren't controlling their volume). Note that this would also lets 74 monsters read your mind. :(

I disagree, and I'll tell you why. If a Kalashtar were NOT always listening, then how in the world would the Telepathic Sensitivity feat work?
Note what the feat says. You 'sense stray thoughts' NOT you hear stray thoughts. You are one step away from always hearing. You can tell there are thought just not what they are. It's like being outside a room and being able to tell the TV is on by the flashing lights but not being able to tell what's on the TV.

Kalidrev

First Post
EGS: That does make sense (the part about the flashing TV, but not being able to tell what is on the TV especially), but there is still, unfortunately, nothing that says specifically that the Kalashtar has to be the one to initiate the conversation. I think we're just going to have to put this to proposal to get it sorted out. In fact, I think I will do just that right now.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
What I had to do for my game with a kalastar in it was treat it like a language....

So the kalashtar is either listening to everyone or to no one, and speaking to EVERYONE or no one. limited by range. So he can't talk to the PC without the bad guys hearing him, it's an all or nothing.

Kalidrev

First Post
I made the proposal for it. All further continuance of the Kalashtar Telepathy discussion should continue HERE (so that people don't have to continue going between the two threads).

elecgraystone

First Post
What I had to do for my game with a kalastar in it was treat it like a language....
Actually it's listed as a language in the eberron book. They changed that in the CB but it's not errata'd so...

EGS: That does make sense (the part about the flashing TV, but not being able to tell what is on the TV especially), but there is still, unfortunately, nothing that says specifically that the Kalashtar has to be the one to initiate the conversation. I think we're just going to have to put this to proposal to get it sorted out. In fact, I think I will do just that right now.
Agreed. The telepathy rules are mighty light, so I understand I'm just giving an opinion on how it makes sense to me. I put my 2 cents in since KarinsDad said he wanted to hear what everyone else thought before he made a proposal.

renau1g

First Post
Which is certainly welcome EGS, especially as the tone has been very good and open of this discussion. I'm certainly open to hearing everyone's thoughts.

sg: 'Fraid I don't know how to stop the Maptools from connecting each time, anything under the options or preferences?

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Stonegod the who maptools download has to do with the way you installed it...

Basically there are 2 options for installing maptools, one you click the little run from site and it always downloads the program, basically it just gives you an icon, that's all it does.

The other you download a zipfile and decompress and run that. that does not download each time.

hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases