LEB Discussion Thread '10

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
After properly congratulating you I have a question regarding characters, you know, just to test you fresh judge abilities and knowledge =)

I have a character, Hasifar. He earned 3823 xp in his last adventure. He was currently at level 5, with 5500 xp. That is 9323 xp. For level 7 he needs 10000xp (277 more xp). The thing is the next. I want to retire Hasifar and make a new character. Now I'll be able to make a level 6 character with 7500 xp. What happens with the extra 1823 xp? Can I use it for something?

Extra player RP cannot be transferred from one PC to the next.

On the other hand, you get to design a 6th level PC with exactly what magic items that you want.

Voda Vosa

First Post
What do you mean? I have the parcels anyway right? Or do I get extra gold from the old character or from the spare xp?

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I have a character, Hasifar. He earned 3823 xp in his last adventure. He was currently at level 5, with 5500 xp. That is 9323 xp. For level 7 he needs 10000xp (277 more xp). The thing is the next. I want to retire Hasifar and make a new character. Now I'll be able to make a level 6 character with 7500 xp. What happens with the extra 1823 xp? Can I use it for something?
What do you mean? I have the parcels anyway right? Or do I get extra gold from the old character or from the spare xp?
The rules for retirement are here. You have two choices:
  • Create the new character one level below the old character with normal wealth.
  • Create the new character at the same level as the old, but without the extra gold earned from the previous level (i.e., no gold equal to 1/5th the cost of magic item of one level less than your character's level).
This isn't the same as the current L4W rules, but its the rules we currently have.

So, in your case, as you have enough XP for 6th level, you could either:
  • Create a new 5th level character. You get 100 starting gp from first level, 1/5 a magic item worth of gold for levels 1–4 and treasure parcels for those levels.
  • Create a new 6th level character. You get 100 starting gp from first level, 1/5 a magic item worth of gold for levels 1–4 and treasure parcels for those levels and a parcel for level 5.
The difference is the availability of the 5th level item parcel.

"Extra" XP over what is needed to gain a level is lost.

renau1g

First Post
Well, one quick note: 10,000 - 9323 = 677.

Honestly, the rules on retiring characters have changed a few times and I could stand a refresher myself.

Just an FYI, the retirement rules haven't changed here. They've changed in L4W though.

renau1g

First Post
Just an FYI, there are 27 sheets in the requesting approval wiki. I believe only Boruuk & Brennan are inactive on there (is drothgery around? Haven't seen him lately). If anyone (not just judges) wants to take a look at any PC, feel free to PM one of the judges and the PC with an errors you note. I believe all there should have at least 1 judge approval as I am pretty sure I've reviewed most of the sheets as my nearly empty (except for the ones sent in the last week)

LEB:Requesting Approval - ENWorld Living Eberron Wiki

It would be appreciated. :)

Mezegis

First Post
Character question: Would it be possible to rename my latest character? I didn't realize there was already a Thalen and a Kaelen, so to avoid confusion I was thinking about renaming him if that's possible?

evilbob

Explorer
The rules for retirement are here.
Ack, I didn't even realize it was only L4W rules that had changed.

Voda Vosa: So, to paraphrase stonegod, it seems like your best option would be to retire your guy and make a new character at level 6. You'll start with only 7500 XP, but you'll get treasure parcels for levels 1-5 (so, one full set of n, n+1, n+2, n+3, n+4) and additional gold equal to 100 + 72 (1/5 a level 1) + 104 (level 2) + 136 (3) + 168 (4) = 580 gold.

Upon reviewing the rules for L4W, this is actually pretty much in line with their rules. Their rules would make you start at level 6 with DMG guidelines wealth (but they don't use a parcel system). Either way, you'd take the XP hit (basically, the cost of retiring). The only time it gets tricky in their system is when you start with a new character one level lower than your old character.

So you will lose about 1800 XP but you'll gain a new guy with treasure how you want it. I guess a third option is to see if you can find a quick adventure somewhere that a DM wants to run or doesn't mind you joining and trying to bang out ~700 XP. If you can ding 7th, you could retire and start over at level 7 with parcels for levels 1-6 and 580 + 200 = 780 gold. (Assuming my math and interpretations are correct.) Then again, that may not really be worth it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases