Wizard Build Suggestions (PHB ONLY!)

GakToid

Explorer
The title says it all.

I'm relinquishing my role as DM for a chance at playing on the other side of the screen. The party needs a controller (level 3) and we're limiting our book selection to the PHB only.

The builds and suggestions I see online always rely on feats/powers/paths from other sources. For exaple, the typical orbizard build isn't possible with just the PHB.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

-Gak Toid

MrMyth

First Post
Some thoughts:

1) Multi-targeting vs Conditions

Controllers do two things well - hit multiple enemies, and inflict powerful conditions upon their foes. You can try to acquire both of these elements, or you could focus on one or the other.

For example, if you were focused on hitting multiple enemies, Scorching Burst and Thunderwave would make for ideal at-will powers, Burning Hands and Fire Shroud for encounter powers, and Freezing Cloud for a daily. Whenever enemies clump up, you could unleash tons of damage into the lot of them, clearing out minions with ease and softening up the rest for the party.

If you wanted to focus on debuffs, on the other hand, you might want Ray of Frost as an At-Will power instead (a good trade out for Thunderwave, since both target Fort), letting you slow enemies all day long. Chill Strike or Ray of Enfeeblement let you cripple one enemy each fight, and Icy Rays or Color Spray are both very effective 3rd level choices. Sleep, meanwhile, can be a complete game-changer when it works - and even without other resources, Orb of Imposition alone can make it very effective.

2) Damage Dealing

Most of your damage potential usually comes from hitting multiple enemies. But there are a few builds at low levels that can be quite effective. A Tiefling with the Hellfire Blood feat and max Intelligence has some very effective fire attacks - with Flaming Sphere, as a daily, able to do absolutely brutal amounts of damage since it sits around for an entire fight, pumping automatic damage into enemies.

3) Survival

Some wizards sit back and enjoy the fight from afar, without ever really coming close to the line of danger - but most get drawn in at some point. Especially if you end up playing a build with any of the Close powers (Thunderwave, Burning Hands, Color Spray, Fire Shroud), you may want to pay some attention to defense.

Shield, as your level 2 Utility, makes for a very strong choice - some of the others are cool options, but none will regularly be as useful. The Staff of Defense option also helps boost your Defences, and between the two, you can potentially escape sudden danger twice each fight.

Many wizards look at picking up Leather Armor Proficiency for a quick boost to AC as well - with your high Intelligence, you suddenly are surprisingly good at avoiding blows. It is certainly a decent choice, especially if you plan to spend time at the front lines of combat.

So... that's some general advice, which is hopefully of use. What sort of character are you looking to play (in terms of either background or combat capability)? More suggestions might be available if there is a more specific concept in mind.

kerbarian

Explorer
With just the PHB, I don't think there are really wizard "builds". At least, I think of builds as sets of powers, feats, items, etc. that work together in interesting or synergistic ways. The PHB wizard is a great class, but It seems like the powers and feats are all pretty independent of each other. About the only synergies I can think of are sleep + orb mastery or the elemental damage feats with appropriate powers.

In a way, though, not being able to have a focused build is nice, in that you can choose the best powers at each level without restrictions.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Human Staff Wizard with 20 Int, 14 Wis and taking Cloud of Daggers, Thunderwave, and Scorching Burst. For one of his feats, take Leather Armor. Ignore the fact that his Con is not high enough to help out the Staff once per encounter.

Note: You can even get away with 12 Wis if you want 12 Cha or 12 Con or 12 Dex or something. A Thunderwave push of 1 and a minion killing Cloud of Daggers 1 is sufficient for most needs.

This PC is fairly awesome. He's +5 to hit and damage, has AC 18 at level one (20 if you remember cover behind allies), and has some control with his At Wills.

For everything else, pick what you like. This guy has the core you need.

Wizard is one of the few classes that can start out with 20 in his main ability score. Take advantage of that.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The party needs a controller
First off: no they don't. Controllers are nice to have and fun to play, but you'll probably contribute just as much playing a Leader, and if your goal is to help (which is the tone I get from your post), you may find that role more fulfilling.

Cleric and Warlord are both great, and Wisdom-based Clerics have plenty of area attacks to nuke minions.

The builds and suggestions I see online always rely on feats/powers/paths from other sources. For exaple, the typical orbizard build isn't possible with just the PHB.
Orb Wizard just needs a 16-18 Wisdom and something to force a save. The broken spell is Sleep; the first "(save ends)" spell you can throw out every encounter is Fire Shroud (encounter 3).

IMHO Human is a great race for a Wizard because of all the beautiful At-Will powers, but that's in the context of access to more than just the PHB. If you have only access to the PHB, you only have:
  • Thunderwave
  • Cloud of Daggers
  • Scorching Burst
  • Magic Missile
  • Ray of Frost

How many of those do you look at and say, "I NEED THAT"? All I really see a need for is is Thunderwave + one ranged spell which doesn't target Fort, because Thunderwave has that covered. Then it comes down to what your race & secondary stats look like: if you have a high Wisdom, then Cloud of Daggers becomes quite good; if you are a Tiefling and can get an extra +1 to hit with Fire spells, Scorching Burst looks pretty sweet.

Also party composition matters here. If you have a Tiefling on the front line, you can include him in your Scorching Burst without too much worry, and that increases its utility. If you have an archery Ranger, you can expect some encounters to take place when the enemy is 20 squares away: then Magic Missile becomes quite useful. But those are exceptions, rather than the rule.

Ray of Frost never looks good.

- - -

Anyway. Hope that helps.

Cheers, -- N

Turtlejay

First Post
Ooof, PHB only eh? The only two builds I remember from PHB have been mentioned, the Orbizard (Elf for full lockdown at high level, and the elven accuracy reroll) and Tiefling Fire Wizard to maximize your to-hit with fire spells.

I don't think a wizard *needs* a build. Choose an implement, a PP goal, and then pick powers that fit. I'd judge Orb as the strongest implement, even if you don't optimize it. The nice side effect there is the more you pump your wis for orb, the better Thunderwave gets. Staff is okay, not so much for the Con rider, but for the defensive bonus. You can afford to spread your stats a little to take feats if you go Staff.

Even with just PHB, there are three good at-wills to take if you go Human. Human or Tiefling look most attractive to me, but what you build should fit what you want your wizard to do. Do you want a damage dealing off-striker, or a more well-rounded utilitarian?

Jay

GakToid

Explorer
More Info

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Start with a human. That will give you the ability to take at-wills that cover all three NADs.

Unfortunately, there's no at-wills that target will defense in the PHB. However, I will still be picking human. I'll use that extra at-will for magic missile. How can you play a magic-user^H^H^H^H wizard without magic missile? It's unpossible.

The rest of the part is:
  • dragonborn fighter (sword 'n' board)
  • dragonborn warlord (inspiring)
  • halfling rogue (artful dodger)
  • elf ranger (archery)
  • elf ranger (melee and archery)

The second elf ranger may or may not be continuing with the party.

First off: no they don't. Controllers are nice to have and fun to play, but you'll probably contribute just as much playing a Leader, and if your goal is to help (which is the tone I get from your post), you may find that role more fulfilling.

What do you think the party needs? Obviously not another striker (or "off-striker"). A control focused wizard seemed like a good fit.

-Gak Toid

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases