Even Newer Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

pacdidj

First Post
[sblock=new character]I was thinking of making a leader for my second character. If no one else is free and willing to join, I'll put together a new PC tomorrow.[/sblock]

[sblock="OOC"]For anyone else thinking about generating a new character, or for other level 1 and 2 characters, if you don't get into Ben's adventure I've got another one ready to roll. I'll start recruiting for it as soon as Ben's party sets out.[/sblock]

Eternal54

First Post
Eraden took one final swig from his mug and placed it back on the counter still half full. He stood from his stool and made his way over to the woman who spoke of the missing niece, and two other men sitting at a table.

"You're probably right, miss," the younger man says. "Those weren't his usual men that grabbed Edith. I heard one of them called 'Pike'. I think they may be mercenaries."

"Well met!" He greeted the group with a smile.
"I'm sorry to interupt but I over heard you say you are in need of assistance in finding a missing person. My name is Eraden Echo, Paladin of Bahamut, and I would like to hear more about your situation."

taran

First Post
The tavern door opens on a short Githyanki woman with a peculiar rolling stride. She's wearing a cacophony of hides and feathers, but your eye is drawn the large dog skull on her belt. It's one of a set of three, and she's stroking it and murmuring "See, I told you so. Twice to the left, twice to the right, and here we are."

She takes in the tavern at a glance, then focuses on the crowd around merchant. To herself, she murmurs "Hhn. Guess you were right." Then, to the crowd of adventurers: "An' what's this? Somethin' I can help with, be maybe?"

[sblock=Leader Available]Meet Talks-to-the-Moon, Githyanki Artificer 1. I was going to wait to introduce her until after Fey Ring finished up, but what the hell, close enough. She only has one approval, though.Disregard that, she was approved as I was typing this, thanks ScorpiusRisk.[/sblock]

Wik

First Post
Abigail looks at the group about her, satisfied that a party seems to be coalescing. She nods to herself, and says "Well, let's have a talk with this Pike person, eh?"

[sblock=ooc]For what it's worth, Abigail can kind of fill a controller-y role for a little bit. She gets one close blast encounter power, which she can move around a bit thanks to her familiar. Really, she winds up being a defender, and then a striker for one round and a controller for one round. So I don't think we're hurting too much from lack of a controller - Dante/Virgil will also help with minion-popping, I think... and if the artificer joins, we're pretty much set!

Also, I don't know if the warlock has thievery, but I figure I'd mention OOC right now that Abi can wind up being the trap-picker if the warlock can't.

Really, Abi's big problems are her poor marking powers (she can tag one guy at a time, and only one guy), Kinda piddly defender HP, and only so-so in the damage department.

Just looking over the group, though, we've got a Warlock striker (usually low damage, but heavy on status effects, so a single-target controller), a Beastlord Ranger (so a medium-damage striker with a bit of defender), an Artificer Leader (low healing for a leader, but good controller effects and team buffs), a swordmage defender (controller effects on top of a decent defender), and a paladin defender (decent defender coupled with an alright healer). I'd say it's a pretty well-rounded team![/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
"Well met!" He greeted the group with a smile.
"I'm sorry to interupt but I over heard you say you are in need of assistance in finding a missing person. My name is Eraden Echo, Paladin of Bahamut, and I would like to hear more about your situation."

She takes in the tavern at a glance, then focuses on the crowd around merchant. To herself, she murmurs "Hhn. Guess you were right." Then, to the crowd of adventurers: "An' what's this? Somethin' I can help with, be maybe?"

"See uncle," the nephew says. "I told you we'd find people. Have we got enough?"

His uncle nods and turns to the assembled adventurers. "Thank you for helping me. I realize getting involved with someone else's feud isn't usually good business, but I think my niece may be in real danger.

"My name, in case you didn't catch it earlier, is Josiah Sturgeon. Lucius Hake and I have been rivals in the fish business for decades. We're both wholesalers. We buy the fish off the boats, and sell it to the markets. It makes it easier on the shopkeepers, since they're assured of a steady supply and don't need to spend all day on the docks waiting to see if any ships come in.

"I never liked Hake all that much, but until recently it was always a business rivalry. Twelve years ago, we even made a deal to marry his son to my niece. I've got no children of my own, so Edith and Victor here will inherit my business. This didn't stop us from going at it hammer and tongs in the business arena. He pulled a fast one on me a few years ago, getting his agent rides on the pilot boats, and buying the fish before it entered the harbor. That was a terrific coup, and I wish I'd thought of it."

Sturgeon smiles a bit at the recollection, then his mood turns somber.

"The last year, though, it's gotten personal for him. The pilot boat was the last real advantage he got over me. Since then, I've managed to pull a few fast ones on him. I got the city government to dig up the street outside one of his depots. I managed to get the first salmon boats of the season, and delivered the ceremonial first salmon to the mayor's office two years running, which nobody had done before. Rather than getting back at me through normal business channels, Hake started to get nasty. Looking back now, it seems like the fire at my Scrod Alley warehouse must have been set by his people. People who know us both say he's started to get moody and doesn't talk to people any more.

"Recently, I pulled off a nice coup. I managed to get a contract with Obadiah Tunny--of Tunny's Trawlers, you know--before he set out for the season. It was a risk, but it paid off, and when Tunny's first ship came back a month ago, they wouldn't even talk to Hake's agent. Hake didn't like this I guess, because he sent me a message saying that he was cancelling the engagement between his boy Donald, and our Edith. He's sent the boy off on some secret mission, according to a man I've got in his organization. Netari knows what that's about."

He inhales slowly before continuing.

"Today, it finally happened. He's gone completely over the line. Edith and Victor were walking along, minding their own business, and a bunch of armed men--this Pike character and his crew--grabbed her, pushed the boy down, and ran off. But our Victor's not stupid. He managed to follow them. Straight to Hake's big fish depot down by Fisherman's Alley."

Sturgeon surveys the adventurers, tough lot that they are. "At this point I just want Edith returned to me. I'll pay twenty gold pieces to each of you, and you can. . . you can take anything you like from the warehouse. I don't know what he's got down there, but those goons he hired must have something."

"Will you take the job?"

[sblock=ooc]
This is the tentative crew. Please let me know if this is incorrect.

Abigail (wik), Human Swordmage 1 (Defender/Striker)
Alastair Feyd (auberon), Gnome Warlock 1 (Striker)
Dante (Iron Sky), Human Ranger 1 (Striker)
Eraden (Eternal54), Half-Elf Paladin 1 (Defender)
Talks-to-the-Moon (taran), Githyanki Artificer 1 (Leader)

Also, please feel free to to ask questions both in character and out of character, and let me know if you want to make any skill checks.

If everything is cool, I'll start the adventure thread tomorrow afternoon.
[/sblock]

Wik

First Post
"I'm in," Abigail says, with little thought. "I would suggest we go by nightfall - it will be easier to sneak around, although the darkness might get in our way, too. And I have no desire to kill anyone, if it can be avoided..."

auberon

First Post
"Will you take the job?"

Alastair nods approvingly. Whether in agreement with Josiah, or at the result of this random, but seemingly capable ad-hoc band, it is unclear.

"Yes, I think we can help each other."

[sblock=ooc]
I'm in. First play by post game for me, but I'm looking forward to it.

Wik, I do have Thievery as well. Trying for a stealth ranged thing with a Feylock.
[/sblock]

---
Alastair Feyd

Last edited:

Remove ads