OpenRPG Long-term sandbox-style 3.5E [Stonereach]

Bill Bisco

First Post
This is a Long-term Sandbox Style 3.5E game using OpenRPG (Traipse). Books allowed are the Core Books with all Standard Races minus half-orc. Characters use standard 25 point-buy from the DMG with Standard Starting Gold from the PHB on page 111.

This is the description by Shaun the DM.

"Hi everyone!

I'm a very long-term GM (been playing RPGs since about 1982 or 1983) who hasn't done any gaming in quite a while because of life conflicts, but I am looking to get back into it. I'm trying to get a large gathering of players together for a new campaign I'm starting.

Basically, it's a sandbox-exploration style D&D 3.5E game. I have some players who will be running groups in person so far, but I'd like to get more folks involved if I can. Basically, the idea is that there will be one region that the PCs are exploring on behalf of the local officials. However, there will not be one unified party. Instead, the PCs will all be independent adventurers who can team up as they desire to go on specific expeditions. I assure you that there is plenty to do, see, and loot, and I want the game to be as player-driven as possible. This is similar in concept to Ben Robbins' West Marches campaign (you can read about it at arsludi.lamemage.com if you're interested).

Basically, I would like there to be a good-sized collection of players involved who can schedule game sessions with specific objectives, recruit folks to help them out as desired, etc., not all of which would be active at any one time, but all of whom would be involved in gathering and sharing knowledge about what is out there, reporting back to their peers (or not) about what they find and gradually making the place safer and delving deeper into the uncharted wilderness.

There are two main tools (other than openrpg) that I plan to use for this. The first is a Wiki site (stonereach.wikidot.com) which all active players will be able to edit, and which will serve as a clearinghouse for whatever information players want to share with the collective adventurer society--adventure reports, detailed information about monsters encountered, treasure found, rumors encountered, etc.

The second is a google group, Stonereach | Google Groups , that we will use for scheduling events. All the players will be on this list and will be able to arrange expeditions with their fellow players. As long as a time and day work for me (the GM), you can plan events for whenever--so long as you have a group of 3 or more characters willing to make the trip and a set goal in mind (even if it's a nebulous one).

So, I know this is a lot of reading to do, but I hope it was worth it. Please take a look at stonereach.wikidot.com and either apply on there for membership to join our group, or email me and we can work out how to get you involved! shaun dot m dot haskins at gmail dot com

Thanks!"

When registering for the wiki, use an email address other than a hotmail one, as the wiki seems to reject applications with such an email address.

Last edited:

Remove ads