Adventure: Food of the Gods (DM: ryryguy, Judge: renau1g)

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]

Jynxx would need the components... but he has the create campsite ritual lol. The "spirits" would build one from scratch if we lack the equipment for it. I have 2gp LOL. [/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
// OK, seems like generally a consensus to take the barge, no one really pushing to wait at least... gonna move along. As usual feel free to come back to stuff for questions, skill checks, actions and reactions, etc.

The group leaves the factor's office and heads to the southern docks. It's easy to locate Harion, a scarred, taciturn woman who simply nods when told that the group is working for Yammy and wants passage to the shore. She whistles and two men lounging on a long barge tied to the dock jump to their feet, grabbing long oars. "All aboard," Harion says.

The oarsmen give the adventures the once-over as they hop aboard. They give the impression of having seen similar groups before, but the women get noticeably longer looks, accompanied by sly grins. One whispers to the other as Azryah boards, then makes a little barking noise at Kaeysari.

[sblock=Perception DC 15 (active)]"Think the hair color's real?"[/sblock]

// Ok, yeah, definitely feel free to react here. :)

As Chaku boards, one of the oarsmen says, "Hey, big guy, try to stay near the center of the boat, okay?"

The men push off from the dock and work their oars for a time to propel the boat. Soon the barge slips into a current, and the oarsmen switch to using their oars more as rudders and poles to guide the ship and keep it from banging into rocks. The predominant current is going out with the tide, but the pilots are obviously expert and very familiar with the local waters. They push off rocks and use back currents to reach areas of slack water that they can easily row across. Getting a boat across is not as easy as one might have thought.

The voyage takes about twenty minutes. The barge arrives at a long jetty jutting out from the beach. The oarsmen guide the barge in, striking the wood with a light thump. They wave goodbye as you jump off.

// OOC: time is 11:30 AM.

Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Jynxx sweeps off his hat and bows low as the oarsmen depart, "We truly appreciate the expert voyage! You are masters of your craft." Jynxx turns to his companions, "Well... where to?"

BenBrown

First Post
The oarsmen give the adventures the once-over as they hop aboard. They give the impression of having seen similar groups before, but the women get noticeably longer looks, accompanied by sly grins. One whispers to the other as Azryah boards, then makes a little barking noise at Kaeysari.

[sblock=perception]1d20+8=12 I'm pretty good at this when I'm not trying. Honestly.[/sblock]

Kaeysari narrows her eyes a little, but says nothing. She's put up with petty abuse from far better people.

The voyage takes about twenty minutes. The barge arrives at a long jetty jutting out from the beach. The oarsmen guide the barge in, striking the wood with a light thump. They wave goodbye as you jump off.

Kaeysari jumps ashore, and starts walking slowly towards the landward end of the jetty. "Where do you suppose our guide is?"

Mewness

First Post
Papolstaanas gives the oarsmen a startled look as he hears the whispering and the barking noise and then swiftly turns his head again. (He is almost as uncomfortable hearing someone else say something obnoxious as he would be if he were caught saying something like that himself.) He pointedly moves away from the offending oarsmen so that he can no longer hear them, and tries to concentrate on admiring the land- and seascape once again.

[sblock=Perception]1d20+6=26. Well there goes a crit on a perception check.[/sblock]

LadyLaw

First Post
[sblock=Nature what?]1d20+4=14[/sblock]

Azryah follows the group, hood still up, as they embark upon the vessel. She tries to stay as out of the way as possible, but it seems a bit difficult.

[sblock=perception]1d20+9=26[/sblock]

She pretends not to notice the snickering at first, but after a moment decides to reply instead.

"In my case the hair color is quite real. However, if you're looking for a similar effect, I hear there are some dyes that work wonders. I suggest soaking your head in boiled blueberries with salt; not while they're boiling, of course. Wait until it gets down to luke warm."

When they land she says nothing, but instead takes up a position mid-pack.

ryryguy

First Post
Fulcrum-shore

The beach slopes up thirty or forty feet from the water. Just beyond it sprawls Fulcrum-shore, a chaotic mass of ramshackle warehouses, bamboo and thatch huts, small merchant stalls and larger stores, livestock pens and granaries, gravel paths and boardwalks. A building on the left has a tavern sign showing a cut diamond floating above a golden half-sun. Straight ahead, back a bit from a beach is a three-story stone building, presumably the Green Skeleton Inn, judging from the, well, green skeleton hanging from a flagpole on the second story. (From this distance, it's impossible to tell if it's a real skeleton and if the green comes from paint.)

A few dozen people are in view: walking, working, loafing, talking. There are lots of humans and half-elves, some dwarves and halflings, dragonborn and a couple of tieflings, too. Styles of dress vary. Many are wearing "Daunton casual" but the dragonborn and some humans wear silks and lacquered armor. Others wear long skirts or trousers of colorful cotton fabric, and triangular cloaks wrapped around the torso. Many of these have headgear made from copper or leather decorated with feathers and semi-precious stones, a few quite large and elaborate. One dwarf wears eyecatching leather armor that is decorated with whorls and circles of bright red and green.

[sblock=Perception DC 20 (active)]You notice that many of the people wearing the silks carry what appears to be rolled-up heavy clothing, such as fur-lined cloaks. You spot a few of the others with the cotton clothes with sandals hanging from their belts (they are wearing moccasins now).[/sblock]

// OOC So, geez, everybody posted already while I was writing this... did it take me that long? lol

BenBrown

First Post
Kaeysari looks around, intrigued by the feathered headdreses in particular.

[sblock=perception]1d20+8=10 Hopefully IC will be kinder when it comes to hitting things[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
Jynxx sweeps off his hat and bows low as the oarsmen depart, "We truly appreciate the expert voyage! You are masters of your craft."

"Hey, thanks buddy. If you think so highly of us, we do accept tips."

Papolstaanas ...tries to concentrate on admiring the land- and seascape once again.

[sblock=Perception]1d20+6=26. Well there goes a crit on a perception check.[/sblock]

[sblock=Papolstaanas]OOC: Sorry to make you "waste" a crit. ;) I hope these "color" skill checks aren't annoying or anything... maybe you can get a little extra for this one though...

You find it's easy to get lost in the view here, particularly of the towering cliffs that encircle the bay. Indeed, since you've arrived, you've felt something about the Isle that is hard to put into words. It seems to have a presence, a weight in the natural world that you can feel on some visceral level. It resonates a bit with the feelings you sometimes have when you use your powers as a warden: the solidity and indomitability of nature. There's also a feeling of tension, but tension that is in balance or equilibrium. The name "Isle of Opposition" seems somehow appropriate to you; perhaps whoever named it felt something similar.

As you continue to gaze in the distance, you feel as if your viewpoint has suddenly shifted, that you are now seeing from a point further out and higher than where you actually are. From this viewpoint, you can see that where the northern arm of the island rises from the lowland of the Isle, the ground is covered with a thick emerald jungle, a thick canopy of tall broad-leafed trees, vines and moss. Looking back to the south, you can see that the highlands there are more rugged and rocky, with scrub trees and areas of patchy snow. You can even see one area where snow is falling in a flurry right now.

Looking towards the western interior, beyond the collection of doll-house buildings that is Fulcrum-shore, lies a forest more like those you are familiar with from Bacarte. Beyond that you can see what looks like part of a light-colored plain, but its further reaches are covered with mist, as are the northern and souther edges of the forest.

Then the strange displacement of your perception disappears as quickly and mysteriously as it had appeared. You're left seeing things from the barge again. It's still a pretty nice view.[/sblock]

[sblock=Nature what?]1d20+4=14[/sblock]
"In my case the hair color is quite real. However, if you're looking for a similar effect, I hear there are some dyes that work wonders. I suggest soaking your head in boiled blueberries with salt; not while they're boiling, of course. Wait until it gets down to luke warm."

The oarsman's face turns pink as his companion laughs. He takes half a step towards the deva and opens his mouth, but the other grabs his arm and says, "Big sword, idiot...big sword!"

The offender stops and shuffles his feet. "Sorry, miss," he says after a moment and turns away to fiddle with his oar.

Remove ads