Devastation

papastebu

First Post
My mother died on Friday, February 5th, 2010.
She was 68 years old, and had just found out about a large tumor on the central lobe of her left lung. It is my firm belief that the tumor was caused by her habitual smoking of cigarrettes since the age of 17 or 18.
She was the strongest person I have ever known, and she spent her life helping people, one of whom I am blessed to be.
Just a caution from someone who is suffering due to the tobacco industry; do whatever it takes to get loved ones to quit. It is an addiction, and needs to be treated like alcoholism, heroin addiction, or any other.
Those of you who pray, please pray for us, the survivors, so that we may have the strength to carry on.

papastebu

First Post
Your accusation is insensitive and inaccurate.
I wish to save others the pain that I am going through. I suppose, however, that something else could have taken her from us on Friday. But... she had lung cancer at an advanced stage, and she'd been a smoker most of her life. The conclusions are there to be drawn. I merely stated what I surmised to be true, then stated my feelings on the matter.
You make take my words as you find them, but I won't rescind them simply because you think that I have an agenda in my mother's death.

She was 68 years old, and had just found out about a large tumor on the central lobe of her left lung. It is my firm belief that the tumor was caused by her habitual smoking of cigarrettes since the age of 17 or 18.
She was the strongest person I have ever known, and she spent her life helping people, one of whom I am blessed to be.
Just a caution from someone who is suffering due to the tobacco industry; do whatever it takes to get loved ones to quit. It is an addiction, and needs to be treated like alcoholism, heroin addiction, or any other.
Those of you who pray, please pray for us, the survivors, so that we may have the strength to carry on.
My condolences. My suggestion: Treasure your good memories of her, and share them with your friends and family.

Pbartender

First Post

Hang in there... My 69 year old father died last November, so I keenly understand and sympathize.

Mustrum has good advice... I like to remember how my dad use to sing while he made pancakes for us on Saturday mornings.

papastebu

First Post
Hang in there... My 69 year old father died last November, so I keenly understand and sympathize.

Mustrum has good advice... I like to remember how my dad use to sing while he made pancakes for us on Saturday mornings.

I am sorry for your loss, and thank you, also.

My mom could do anything. I'm not just saying that out of admiration, or whatever, either.
The first time my wife spoke to my mother, Mom was underneath my sister's station wagon, working on the transmission. The wife said, "Nice to meet you, Mr. Burke." There was a bit of a pause, and I was grinning the entire time, and Mom rolled out from under the car, saying, "That would be Mrs. Burke."
That sort of thing informed her entire life.
Back around 2000, when I first started posting here, my mom and dad bought a brownstone house and some adjacent lots through an urban reclamation project in St. Louis, MO, and they've been restoring it ever since. Mom pulled all of these old bricks from the buildings that had been where their yard now is, and she built an add-on to their porch that was well within the historical landmark guidelines, but cost them a fraction of what it would have if they'd had to buy bricks.
She was awesome.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
My grandfather has had circulation problems in his legs causing several piecemeal amputations the past 2 years. He currently has lost an entire leg and half the foot on his other leg. Soon he may have to lose the entire foot or even up to the knee on the remaining leg. Supposedly the problems are due to him smoking when he was young -- over half a century ago! That he's been off for so long and this sort of thing can still happen is just shocking to me. OP, I'm sorry for your loss.

EDIT: Based on what Plane Sailing said, nevermind the rest, then.

Last edited:

Xyxox

Hero

My condolences. I have been a former smoker for the past 11 years after being a 2 1/2 pack per day smoker for 25 years. Quitting cigarettes was the most difficult thing I have ever done. As I understand it, mny father is currently dying from lung disease. He is a 58 year smoker.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I've just deleted a bunch of posts by Frankthedm (and the responses they engendered).

Frank, it was highly inappropriate/insensitive. Please don't act that way again - better to say nothing.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I am so sorry for your loss, papastebu. My heart and prayers are with you and your family. :(

I am so glad I quit smoking several years ago. It was very tough but worth it. I encourage anyone out there who smokes to quit.

Remove ads