HTML Character Sheets - can you help?

neolithic

First Post
Hi All,

I've been tinkering around with importing the saved character files from WoTC's Character Builder in to an HTML character sheet and have had fairly good success so far. I am now ready to try importing the data in to a well designed character sheet instead of my un-designed testing rig.

I am a web developer and designer by trade so I could create an HTML character sheet myself but that would mean not focusing on the javascript import code (which is my priority at the moment). So I thought I would throw it open to the great EN World community to see if I can turn up some interested people who would like to provide me with their HTML character sheets.

Interested parties can reply to this post and I'll discuss details further via PM.

jigsawsaint

First Post
That's pretty nifty but I'm not really looking to build a full on tool like what those guys have done. I just want to make some more user-friendly character sheets using the data collected and calculated in the Character Builder.

Good find though, I didn't actually know about that web app :)

Hi,

Andrew Reutter here from iplay4e.com. I just wanted to note that we would very much like our site to generate decent printable sheets, but other features with greater priority make it unlikely we'll get to it ourselves soon.

The way we generate sheets (interactive or not) is as follows:

- When you upload a dnd4e file, we parse it into a more easily consumable XML format (ip4xml). This file throws out all the cruft and exposes only the pieces needed to build a character sheet. You'll find it much easier to work with than the dnd4e content itself - not to mention the fact that we'll already be dealing with keeping up with changes to the dnd4e format, that we also plan on parsing Monster Builder files into ip4xml format, and so on.

You can sample ip4xml by viewing the source of this page:

http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchMLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhiHnxsM/main

- The various formats (browser, tablet, mobile, BBCode, etc...) are simply XSL documents that transform that XML into HTML. I'm happy to provide samples of this as well.

If someone were to contribute XSL that generated a pretty printable sheet from the XML document, we'd be thrilled to add that to our "File" menu. Something like: File -> Printable Format (compliments of neolithic).

If you're interested, respond here or hit me up via email: andrew.reutter at gmail.com

Cheers,
Andrew Reutter
iPlay4e - play 4e Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) online!

neolithic

First Post
Hi,

Andrew Reutter here from iplay4e.com. I just wanted to note that we would very much like our site to generate decent printable sheets, but other features with greater priority make it unlikely we'll get to it ourselves soon.

The way we generate sheets (interactive or not) is as follows:

- When you upload a dnd4e file, we parse it into a more easily consumable XML format (ip4xml). This file throws out all the cruft and exposes only the pieces needed to build a character sheet. You'll find it much easier to work with than the dnd4e content itself - not to mention the fact that we'll already be dealing with keeping up with changes to the dnd4e format, that we also plan on parsing Monster Builder files into ip4xml format, and so on.

You can sample ip4xml by viewing the source of this page:

http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchMLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhiHnxsM/main

- The various formats (browser, tablet, mobile, BBCode, etc...) are simply XSL documents that transform that XML into HTML. I'm happy to provide samples of this as well.

If someone were to contribute XSL that generated a pretty printable sheet from the XML document, we'd be thrilled to add that to our "File" menu. Something like: File -> Printable Format (compliments of neolithic).

If you're interested, respond here or hit me up via email: andrew.reutter at gmail.com

Cheers,
Andrew Reutter
iPlay4e - play 4e Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) online!

Hi Andrew,

I've emailed you directly to see how we might be able to collaborate on this.

I have a perfectly good multipage 4e HTML character sheet. It even does a good bit of the calculations for you, though obviously you wouldn't need that. Not sure how useful it is, but could be worth looking at. In any case its pretty clean and modular.

I eat XSLT for lunch too, so anyone that needs any help with that, I can always give you a hand. Don't have a ton of spare time but still...

jigsawsaint

First Post
I have a perfectly good multipage 4e HTML character sheet. It even does a good bit of the calculations for you, though obviously you wouldn't need that. Not sure how useful it is, but could be worth looking at. In any case its pretty clean and modular.

I eat XSLT for lunch too, so anyone that needs any help with that, I can always give you a hand. Don't have a ton of spare time but still...

Great! Sound like you should perhaps coordinate with Neolithic, who pinged me via email. I'll shoot him an email letting him know to check this thread in case he isn't lurking.

Cheers,
Andrew

Remove ads