D&D 4th Edition Adventure: A Fish Story (DM: BenBrown; Judge: renau1g) - Page 8




  1. #71
    Registered User
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

    Wik's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Victoria, British Columbia
    Posts
    5,287
    Blog Entries
    30

    Ignore Wik
    Abigail takes her time, distracted while trying to listen for the skittering sounds beyond the curtain...

    Initiative for first combat (1d20+2=3) - and, actually, it was a result of 2, because I typoed Abi's initiative modifier. Yay for natural ones!

    actions
    Abigail will go last, apparently. She's going to move in, engage any baddies, and hope for the best. Azuras is still outside, peering in the window, by the way - when he's more than 20 squares away, he automatically reappears by Abby's side. So she's not too worried.





    Abigail
    Female Human Assault Swordmage 1
    Passive Perception: 9, Passive Insight: 9
    AC: 19, Fort:14, Reflex:15, Will:14 -- Speed:6
    HP:27/27, Bloodied:13, Surges:9/9 (Value 8)
    Special: Surge value drops to 6 if Azuras is "dead"
    Initiative +1
    Action Points: 1, Second Wind: Available
    Powers:
    Greenflame Blade, Sword Burst, Luring Strike, Aegis of Assault, Flame Cyclone, Sneak Attack, Burning Blade

    Opportunity Attacks: +6 vs. AC, 1d8+3 damage

    Azuras: Dragonling Companion (passive)
    Azuras has all the same defenses as Abigail when active, and has 1 hit point. Azuras is healed on a short rest, and can only be targeted when active - he is immune to attacks whilst passive.
    Wik: Solving internet arguments since 1983.

 

  • #72
    Ben

    Ok, so it looks like I'm heading in first. Do I do so blindly, calling out a number of spaces I wish to move, or will there be a map?
    L4W

    Eraden : Half-Elf Paladin 1

  • #73
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    BenBrown's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    That ol' Bay Area
    Posts
    1,395

    Ignore BenBrown
    There is silence from behind the curtain as the party prepares to move.

    ooc
    Eternal54, just pick a destination square. I will post the map as soon as someone enters the room. Also, go ahead and make a perception check once you do so. Same goes for everyone.
    L4E characters: Fenwick Orc Barbarian 9, Kaeysari Shifter Fighter 7, The Black Fox Bard 4

  • #74
    "Everyone stay vigilant." Eraden says as he brushes back the drapes in front of him. He steps in to the next room ready to stike, uncertain of what to expect.

    Actions

    I step in to the room three spaces. I ready a standard action Bolstering Strike to trigger if an enemy hits me within my melee range.


    perception

    Perception=1d20+2=5 Why does IC hate me so?


    Mini Stats

    Eraden-Male Half-Elf Paladin
    Initiative: +0, Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 19
    AC: 20, For: 12, Ref: 13, Will: 16
    HP: 28/28, Bloodied: 14, Surge Value: 7, Surges/Day: 11/11
    Speed: 5 Squares, Languages: Common, Elven, Goblin
    AP: 1, Second Wind: Unused
    Powers: Lay on Hands 2/2, Divine Challange, Bolstering Stike, Enfeebling strike, Channel Divinity: Devine Mettle, Channel Divinity: Divine Strength, Shielding Smite, Eyebite, Radiant Delirium
    Last edited by Eternal54; Wednesday, 3rd March, 2010 at 03:35 PM.
    L4W

    Eraden : Half-Elf Paladin 1

  • #75
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Iron Sky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,341

    Ignore Iron Sky
    After Eraden pushes through the curtain, Dante moves up completely silently and peers through, Virgil stomping and bumping into things nearby.

    Actions
    Dante to E3, Virgil to D3. Dante is moving like a ninja(another natural 20 = 27), and doesn't see much (2 + 7 = 9). Virgil is not sneaky (2 + 3 = 5)

  • #76
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    BenBrown's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    That ol' Bay Area
    Posts
    1,395

    Ignore BenBrown
    As Eraden pushes through the curtain into the room, a crossbow bolt flies at him, but bounces off of his armor.

    The room is a large one, well lit from multiple fish-oil lamps placed along all four walls at about ten foot intervals. The central feature of the room, taking up over half of its floor space is a large pit, filled to the brim with fish. Dead, but not yet rotting, the fish were obviously brought in recently. In the morning, perhaps, they'll be sorted and sold off to fishmongers, restaurants, and so forth. Meanwhile they're here. They smell fishy. Their gaping dead eyes stare towards the ceiling.

    The most obvious other feature of the room are the two people with crossbows, standing on the other rim of the pit filled with fish. They are humans, one male and one female, dressed in mail and bearing longswords by their sides. The man, on the left side, took a shot at Eraden. The woman hesitates, waiting for the next challenger to enter the room.

    perception 4 (active or passive)

    There are a couple of other people crouching behind two of the crates at the far end. (E20,I19)
    perception 18

    Also, there's a bit of movement indicating someone is behind the far-end curtain. (F22)
    perception 22

    Make that two people behind the far-end curtain, (G22) as well as two guys behind the other two crates. (C19,J19)
    terrain features

    * The big pit filled with fish (the light green area labeled "fish" is challenging terrain. Make a DC 15 Acrobatics or Athletics roll or fall prone whenever you take a move action which moves you on to a square of terrain (you don't have to roll for each square, only once per round).

    * The conveniently labeled catwalks along the side are a different sort of challenging terrain. If you have a hand free, you can move normally along them. Otherwise it's a DC 20 Acrobatics roll to avoid falling flat on the fish.

    * The big boxes provide cover. They provide superior cover (& concealment) for people crouching or prone behind them, or for small characters. They can be moved (DC 15 Athletics roll to push, DC 20 to pull or slide). Also, for an extra square of movement, you can jump up on top of one.

    * The curtains provide superior cover. It's one extra square of movement to go through.
    actions
    Mercenary #1 - Crossbow at Eraden (1d20+9=16) Miss
    Mercenary #2 - Readied Action
    Archer #2 - Readied Action
    Archer #3 - Readied Action
    status

    Mercenary 1 - F19 - No Hits Taken (moved)
    Mercenary 2 - H19 - No Hits Taken (delaying)
    Archer 2 - E20 - No Hits Taken (delaying)
    Archer 3 - I19 - No Hits Taken (delaying)
    Eraden - G6 - 28/28 (moved)
    Dante - E3 - 22/22 (moved)
    Virgil - D3 - 22/22 (moved)
    Abigail - F2 - 27/27
    Alastair - J3 - 24/24
    Talks-to-the-Moon - F1 - 29/29
    map
    enemies

    Mercenaries:
    AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
    Archers:
    AC 13, Fort 13, Ref 14. Will 13
    L4E characters: Fenwick Orc Barbarian 9, Kaeysari Shifter Fighter 7, The Black Fox Bard 4

  • #77
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)



    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    247

    Ignore taran
    "It's starting. Quick!" As soon as she hears the distinctive ping! of crossbow bolt on armor, Talks-to-the-Moon scurries through the curtain. Scrabbling at her belt, she pulls out a vial of brown dust and blows it over Eraden.

    Actions
    Move: To D4
    Minor: Resistive Formula on Eraden. Eraden gets a +1 power bonus to AC, which he may redeem at any time for 10 tempory hit points. I've never played an artificer before, but I suspect that the right strategy is to cash it in as soon as something hits you, so you can use the temp hp to help resist the attack.
    mini-stats
    Talks-to-the-Moon - Githyanki Artificer 1
    Initiative +3 Passive perception 15 Passive Insight 10
    AC 17 For 14 Ref 15 Will 12
    HP 29/29 Bloodied 14 Surge value 7 Surges/day 9/9
    Speed 6 squares Languages Common, Deep Speech
    AP 1 Magic Items Uses 1
    Dagger +3 (1d4)
    Dagger +4 (1d4)
    Powers: Magic Weapon, Static Shock
    Scouring Weapon
    Telekinetic Leap, Second Wind
    Arcane Empowerment 1 of 1, Icebound Sigil
    Healing Infusion 1 of 2

  • #78
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    BenBrown's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    That ol' Bay Area
    Posts
    1,395

    Ignore BenBrown
    The woman with the crossbow takes aim on Talks-to-the-Moon as soon as she moves through the curtain, grazing her across the shoulder.
    L4E characters: Fenwick Orc Barbarian 9, Kaeysari Shifter Fighter 7, The Black Fox Bard 4

  • #79
    Alastair scampers from his hiding spot, transforming into an indistinct blur of shadow.

    Those able to spot him notice that upon clearing the curtain, he pauses for a moment, gazing upon the 18,000 cubic feet of today's catch.

    "That's a lot of fish," he whispers to himself.

    He then deliberately dives into the reeking pit, scurrying through the scaly morass, stopping only to silently curse his opponent.

    Actions
    Move: Alastair moves to G5, triggering Shadow Walk (concealment) and a Stealth check: 1d20+7=24. Double move into the fish pile, deliberately failing the skill check, falling prone and crawling to G7. Minor: Warlock's Curse on Mercenary 1.


    mini-stats
    Alastair Feyd - Male Gnome Warlock 1 Initiative: +3, Passive perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10 AC: 15, For: 11, Ref: 14, Will: 15 HP: 24/24, Bloodied: 12, Surge value: 6, Surges/day: 7/7 Speed: 5 squares, Languages: Common, Elven AP: 1, Second Wind: unused Powers: Eldritch Blast, Eyebite, Misty Step, Assassin's Shroud, Witchfire, Fade Away, Ghost Sound, Prophesy of Zhudun
    Last edited by auberon; Thursday, 4th March, 2010 at 06:24 AM.

  • #80
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Iron Sky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,341

    Ignore Iron Sky
    Questions
    Ok, so a couple questions:
    *Are people kind-of in the midst of their turns? So someone with (moved) next to their name has already taken their move action and we're waiting until everyone has "completed" their turns?
    *Mechanically, what is "crouched" and how does one do it? I know what prone is, but I've never seen crouched in 4e.


    Actions
    Basically, Dante is waiting for Eraden to move in further and draw the enemies' attention/fire before he hazards the fish

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. [Adventure] Rhapsody Part 2 (Judge: renau1g)
      By KarinsDad in forum Living Eberron
      Replies: 616
      Last Post: Thursday, 17th January, 2013, 02:27 AM
    2. [Adventure] Kingmaker (DM:renau1g; judge: garyh)
      By renau1g in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 748
      Last Post: Thursday, 20th October, 2011, 01:23 PM
    3. [Adventure] The Paper Chase (Judge: renau1g)
      By Antithetist in forum Living Eberron
      Replies: 688
      Last Post: Sunday, 7th November, 2010, 03:35 PM
    4. Adventure: The Lost Workshop (DM: Iron Sky, Judge: renau1g)
      By Iron Sky in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 281
      Last Post: Sunday, 25th July, 2010, 11:37 PM
    5. [Adventure] The Second Day of Mourning (Judge: renau1g)
      By Kalidrev in forum Living Eberron
      Replies: 1003
      Last Post: Thursday, 4th March, 2010, 05:54 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •