mount for a large sized creature

+ Log in or register to post
    Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore arkzist

mount for a large sized creature

ok here's the deal i have a player playing a minotaur paladin, yes i have given him permission and it fits into his back story... but well when he reaches the level he can get a mount what would he be able to use only things i can find have a cr much to high any suggestions, and please let me know which book to find them in

Suggestion: Just give him a giant horse.

Blog Entries

Ignore StreamOfTheSky
    I recalled a table in the DMG for higher leveled mounts (works like a druid getting better animal companions), but a google search was easier than going to the books.
    Mount options. D&D 3.5 - Giant in the Playground Forums

"Okay. Found it. Page 204.

Level 6: Celestial Heavy Warhorse, Dire Wolf, Hippogriff, Large Monstrous Spider, Large Shark, Unicorn, Celestial Warpony, Dire Bat, Dire Badger, Dire Weasel, Giant Lizard

Level 7: Dire Boar, Dire Wolverine, Giant Eagle, Giant Owl, Pegasus, Rhinoceros, Sea Cat

Level 8: Dire Lion, Griffon"

Side note: Some creatures introduced in the "Races of" books as well as animals in Sandstorm, Stormwrack, and Frostburn were given animal companion equivalent levels and added to that list, I forget if they made them available as paladin mounts, too.
    My Ninja class Fighter Variants Monk additions
    Good defense of 3E mechanics

Spoiler:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/goldeneaglecleaners

My online gaming group, Torch of Spirit (Contains all information for the current game I'm co-DMing as well as lots of houserules I'm using or considering for the future. Feel free to check it out.)

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Corsair
    The DMG gives a guideline for picking appropriate other creatures based on the CR of the mount. I forget what the guideline IS off the top of my head, and I don't have my books handy. Whatever it is, note that it is a guideline, not a rule. Compare it to existing options. Most huge creatures will be CR 7+, so you're probably looking at Paladin level 9+, regardless. I "believe" the guideline is CR = paladin level - 2.

Huge or Advanced to Huge:

Dire Bear, Advanced (17 HD): CR 9
    Dire Lion, Advanced (17 HD): CR 9
    Megaraptor, Advanced (17 HD): CR 10
    Triceratops: CR 9
    Tyrannosaurus: CR 8
    Elephant: CR 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemeska
    "Besides, the longer I sit here and deal with you, the longer you keep me off the streets where I'd be doing things like making puppies cry, devouring the souls of the weak and all sorts of icky things I do so well if I put myself to it."

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-3rd...-paladins.html

Easiest way would make a Saddle of Embiggening magic item that works stat wise like a continual enlarge person item*. There might be an equivalent item in MIC .

*Only functioning when the rider mounts might reduce the battlefield clutter inherit to having a huge mount around.

Dungeonscape had some a useful and flavorful paladin mount swap out ability.

Dungeonscape Excerpts

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-3rd...le-option.html

PHBII also had a swap out ability for the paladin's mount that doubled charging damage.

EDIT

As suggested by another poster, a Chariot pulled by the bonded mount might be an alright choice since the 3.5 minotaur is not THAT heavy,.

• + Log in or register to post