L4W Discussion Thread V

Kalidrev

First Post
LL,

You actually almost said the name of what we use with the wording of your question. The program we all tend to use is called MAP TOOLS. You can do a google search for it and download it for free. It takes a few hours of time to go through it and really get used to it, but trust me when I say that it is WAY worth it!

renau1g

First Post
Lousy, show-off programmers and their multi-layered maps and their fancy spreadsheets...making us finance-guys look bad *grumble, grumble* ;)

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
I think I'm going to switch to virtual map. I still need to start in Gimp mind you.

Speaking of people who are not programmers. . . maybe those people can find time to respond in the google spreadsheet thread. I'm starting to feel confused and hypocritcal about speaking for the end user.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
I'm probably going to be using Masterplan for mine. With a touch of Flash and/or Gimp and a heap of maps stolen from around the internet a couple years ago...

covaithe

Explorer
I used to use Gimp, but switched to maptool. The results aren't quite as good in some ways, but it takes me far less time to prepare a map update.

In fairness, I should point out that there's a small but enthusiastic set of DMs here who use virtualbattlemap.com. I'm keeping an eye on it, but don't use it yet, since it's missing two or three important features. (But if it gets those features, I think it will be a real contender.)

BenBrown

First Post
Mine are all done using Visio. Doesn't look as atmospheric than the maptool ones, but I feel like I've got better control over it.

renau1g

First Post
Ben - would you mind sending me the visio file when you have a moment? I use them for timelines and project tracking at work and am kinda curious how it's set up (I'm very basic level with Visio)

renau1g at gmail.com

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases