D&D 3E/3.5 Help me create "Fantasy Sherlock Holmes" in 3.5

Wraith Form

Explorer
as for a weapon: sherlock holmes always carried a swordcane so that would be the weapon of choice.

If you're talking about cannon, A. C. Doyle Holmes, you're incorrect--Sherlock never had a sword cane. But....I get your point. (See how I did that? Sword cane? Point?)

Thanael

Explorer
Ravenloft has Alanik Ray, the Great Detective, complete with his Watson sidekick, Dr Arthur Sedgwick. In the 3E Ravenloft books Ray is an elf Rogue4/Detective6. Detective is a Ravenloft prestige class from Heroes of Light, similar to Watch Detective prc from the 3.0 WotC Splatbook, which gives a "scene of the crime" ability and "chemistry" to scan for clues. He has a very high Dex, Int and Wis, Sense Motive (with Skill Focus) and Spot, a hat of disguise, and a lens of detection and/or eyes of the eagle(worn as glasses). He also carries a pistol and a magical golden dagger. His nemesis is the psionic "Living Brain", Rudolph von Aubrecker. Even if Ray was not explicitly a Grey Elf, that is the race i would use for him in 3E.

I wish i could find the picture of Ray by Talon Dunning, or even the 2E one from Champions of the Mists.

Watch Detective from Masters of the Wild is prestige class that has unfortunately never been converted to 3.5. It is accessible by a low level Rogue or Urban Ranger.

Last edited:

Wraith Form

Explorer
Thanael,

The Watch Detective seems to be 100% 3.5 compatible. I have the Ravenloft book(s) you reference, so I'll check those out post haste. (I thought I remembered there being a detective in RL!)

Thanks.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Something worth running by your DM.

The Grand OGL Wiki: Tricks of the Trade
Heal: Autopsy

Check: You make a Heal check to study the body of a dead creature. The difficulty of the check determines the level of information that you are able to extract from these studies. You must attempt each check in order, if you do so at all. For example, you cannot attempt a Heal check at DC 15 to find out how long the corpse has been dead unless you have already attempted one at DC 10. Note that you do not have to have succeeded at an earlier check in order to progress to a more challenging one. Success conveys accurate information, while failure conveys wrong information. As the player should not know whether his information is accurate or not, the Games Master makes these skill checks in private.

DC 10: You can tell simple facts about the corpse’s station in life and their behaviour. For example, long nails would indicate little need to do manual work, decayed teeth would indicate poverty and a tattoo of a swallow on the bicep would probably indicate that the deceased was a mariner who had crossed the Equator at some point in his life. If the creature was not humanoid, you could deduce what its last meal had been and whether it was intelligent.

DC 15: You are able to determine the cause of death accurately (what kind of weapon made the wound, what kind of disease killed the person, what kind of poison was used) and tell how long the corpse has been dead.

DC 20: You can tell whether the corpse has been moved, or whether it is lying in the same place in which it died. You can ascertain whether death is likely to have been accidental or intentional.

DC 25: If the corpse was killed by an attacker or attackers, you may give a simple description of their likely height, strength and handedness.

DC 30: You can give a simple reconstruction of the likely circumstances of death; this is essentially an encapsulation of the last hour or so of the victim’s life, as close as may be attempted. Obviously, you cannot give names to people, but you can make such suggestions as ‘The stomach contents reveal that she met friends shortly before her death for a glass of beer, the nail scratches show that she got into a fight with another woman but that this was not seriously intentioned, while the stab wounds indicate that an invisible attacker was able to strike as she waited for her next customer, as she made no attempt to defend herself and had not even taken out her hairpin to use as an impromptu weapon.’

The following modifiers apply to the check. If the corpse has deteriorated owing to exposure, consumption by vermin, immersion in water, fire or acid damage or similar, the Games Master should apply a circumstance penalty of –2 to –10. This assumes that the corpse is still more or less intact despite its condition, as a deliquescing cadaver or a skeleton cannot be treated with an autopsy. If the character can examine the body in the place where it was discovered, he may add a +2 circumstance bonus to his check, as he is able to take environmental factors into account.

If the creature is not human or humanoid, a –10 circumstance penalty applies in the case of aberrations (whose anatomy is frequently alien), a –4 penalty for monstrous humanoids and giants and a –6 penalty for all other creature types. Undead, oozes and constructs cannot be given autopsies.

Action: Each successive Heal skill check takes 30 minutes of activity.

Special: A character with more than 5 ranks in Spot or Search may add a +2 synergy bonus to his use of the Heal skill to perform an autopsy. A character with the Diligent feat may add a +2 bonus to his use of this skill in this capacity, as his meticulousness is exactly the kind of qualification needed to notice giveaway details that others would fail to observe.

Remove ads